RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

How much is it worth?

I have a second bike I never use and have decided to sell. Not sure of price as it's a combination of parts. Can anyone give a ballpark estimate or point me in direction? Thanks. Will not use Ebay, only craigslist and facebook marketplace.

Soma smoothie frame, 2014, Soma's carbon fork (inexpensive) used one season with other parts approx 2k miles. Parts taken off, sold, repurposed etc. replaced with...
    Used ultegra 9 speed 6500 components (brakes, shifters, derailleurs, crank)
    New chain, cassette, cables, Bottom bracket, bar tape.
    Wheels: built by me (ex pro mechanic, I use a digital tension meter, have build many wheels, never a failure)
    Ultegra 6500, 32 hole, sapim spokes, H plus sons Archtype rims, new continental gaterskin tires 25c.
    Bars, stem and seat post, older aluminum Bontrager stuff. Saddle I have a bunch to chose from, pedals installed are speedplay.How much is it worth?-xcg4wo7bqysue1xj0q6w2g_thumb_37.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would guess it would be in the $400-500 range. What size is that frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    58 cm. I was thinking $400 or so. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    I would guess it would be in the $400-500 range. What size is that frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I’m not saying you could get more for it, because used bikes are really hard to move - and your groupset components aren’t exactly up to date.

Still, at $400 that’s a real bargain. The frame, soma carbon fork, and nice handbuilt archetype wheels are easily worth that much or more.

But maybe I’m biased: I sold a white soma smoothie in size 58 a few years back and still kind of regret it.
    Last edited by fronesis; 12-31-2017 at 07:25 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How much is it worth? The only reasonable answer is whatever someone is willing to pay for it and you are willing to sell it for.

Decide what is the absolute minimum you would accept for it. Put it up for auction on eBay and make the starting bid that minimum amount. Take lots and lots of detailed photos of it and write up a very detailed description. All you need are two people who really want it and watch the feeding frenzy in the last hour of bidding!

Offer shipping to increase the number of prospective buyers. Get a bike box from your LBS, learn how to package and ship a bike - Google and You Tube are your friends. Size will determine shipping cost, not weight. $100 is a reasonable amount to ask the buyer for shipping. It may be more or less depending how far the buyer is from you.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    used bikes are really hard to move.
    depends on the market, season, and your marketing skills.

in a big market, in the summer, you can get $500 pretty easily on craigs with solid marketing.

let great pics, not just good ones, do most of the work for you. research what looks best. it's not easy to take great pics. but a little work up front goes a long way and makes selling far easier.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    depends on the market, season, and your marketing skills.

in a big market, in the summer, you can get $500 pretty easily on craigs with solid marketing.

let great pics, not just good ones, do most of the work for you. research what looks best. it's not easy to take great pics. but a little work up front goes a long way and makes selling far easier.
    I prefer eBay to Craigslist. In spite of eBay's fees, I can be assured of getting paid up front. I don't want psychos coming to my house trying to haggle me down. Pre-payment says "I am serious". Don't have the time to deal with BS.

I will agree this isn't the best time to sell a bike. I would wait until at least April.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I prefer eBay to Craigslist. In spite of eBay's fees, I can be assured of getting paid up front. I don't want psychos coming to my house trying to haggle me down. Pre-payment says "I am serious". Don't have the time to deal with BS.
    i prefer craigs. i've sold over forty bikes through them. i always get "paid up front." i meet at the park near my house, and have never met a "psycho" interested in any of my bikes. buyers rarely haggle with me, but i usually advertise the bike for $20 more than i'm willing to accept. so if they want a discount, i'll give them $20 off. i've never run into "bs." but not everyone lives in a civilized cycling community.

and ebay sellers run into plenty of problems with buyers. it has its own share of problems.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    and ebay sellers run into plenty of problems with buyers. it has its own share of problems.
    That may be true. However, with eBay, all transactions are done online. If a buyer were to win the bid and not pay, I could then accept the next highest bidder, or re-post the item. I've never had that problem.

Understood you're had no problems with Craigs, but the way I see it, it takes more time to wait for whenever someone may be interested, then meet them somewhere. With eBay, I put it up for 10-day auction and let the chips fall where they may. Winner pays online through Paypal. Less time wasted. Time is money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Never sold a bike on Craigslist, a few guitars. I find it very challenging dealing with myriad of "personalities". Yes I'm going to wait till spring. I like Ebay a lot, but the cost of shipping bikes are huge. I figure it would cost approx. $150 to ship a $400 bike, once you factor in getting a box, packing material, then lugging it to the UPS store. Thanks for the advice.
    i prefer craigs. i've sold over forty bikes through them. i always get "paid up front." i meet at the park near my house, and have never met a "psycho" interested in any of my bikes. buyers rarely haggle with me, but i usually advertise the bike for $20 more than i'm willing to accept. so if they want a discount, i'll give them $20 off. i've never run into "bs." but not everyone lives in a civilized cycling community.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    That may be true. However, with eBay, all transactions are done online. If a buyer were to win the bid and not pay, I could then accept the next highest bidder, or re-post the item. I've never had that problem. Understood you're had no problems with Craigs, but the way I see it, it takes more time to wait for whenever someone may be interested, then meet them somewhere. With eBay, I put it up for 10-day auction and let the chips fall where they may. Winner pays online through Paypal. Less time wasted. Time is money.
    using craigs, you don't have to pack the bike nor ship it. shipping places the bike in someone's clumsy hands other than the buyer and seller. after acceptance, the buyer may file grievances that aren't even true. ebay has given buyers the advantage.

but if i lived in a small cycling market, i might feel differently about craigs. i love meeting new people here and turning them on to my bikes. the transactions always go smoothly, and previous buyers have recommended me to their friends. it's actually a fun process for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lauridsen View Post
    Never sold a bike on Craigslist, a few guitars. I find it very challenging dealing with myriad of "personalities".
    This. I sold a car once and you wouldn't believe the number of people who tried to lowball me with totally unreasonable offers - even after taking a test ride!

Yes I'm going to wait till spring. I like Ebay a lot, but the cost of shipping bikes are huge. I figure it would cost approx. $150 to ship a $400 bike, once you factor in getting a box, packing material, then lugging it to the UPS store. Thanks for the advice.
    Shipping should cost more than $100 in the lower 48 states and can easily be tacked on to the sale price. Could be less if the buyer happens to be close. I would deduct that from the total.

Getting a box is as easy as asking your LBS to save one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Never sold a bike on Craigslist, a few guitars. I find it very challenging dealing with myriad of "personalities". Yes I'm going to wait till spring. I like Ebay a lot, but the cost of shipping bikes are huge. I figure it would cost approx. $150 to ship a $400 bike, once you factor in getting a box, packing material, then lugging it to the UPS store. Thanks for the advice.
    I would be careful not to make the shipping cost too high or folks wont be interested, especially where the shipping cost is a third of the bike cost. I have shipped a few bikes and used BikeFlights.com. You understand the cost up front and it goes through FEDEX. They can also pick up. The last bike I sold went from NJ to CA and cost $80. Box was free from my LBS.