RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

How to protect wound?

Hi!

Last friday i crashed on the track. I got a nice large wound on my right thigh. When I train now the wound sticks to my shorts and I have to tear it up to get the shorts off. The same happens if i put a plaster on. What should i put on the wound when i train so i dont have to tear it up after?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hydrocolloid dressings, like Johnson & Johnson Advanced Healing or Tegaderm Hydrocolloid, or similar house brands, work best in my experience. They protect, and promote faster healing with less scarring. Overlap them if the wound is too big for one bandage to cover.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Ointment

Quote Originally Posted by numminummi View Post
    Last friday i crashed on the track. I got a nice large wound on my right thigh. When I train now the wound sticks to my shorts and I have to tear it up to get the shorts off. The same happens if i put a plaster on. What should i put on the wound when i train so i dont have to tear it up after?
    You want to cover the wound in antibiotic ointment so that it never forms a scab. Over that (under your shorts) apply a non-stick pad and tape it in place with medical tape or wrap the thigh (over the pad) with some gauze bandage. The Tegaderm product is very good as well and can be left on for a few days while the non-stick pads need to be replaced daily (or more often if they saturate). There are different brands/equivalents of Tegaderm depending on your local pharmacy/chemist.

You'll need to do this until about December 7 (two weeks) though the size of the wound will shrink considerably by about the middle of next week.

waterproof*
    clean the wound super well, scrub, yes it will hurt.
    pat dry
    cover with fresh tegaderm per instructions on the package
    cover the tegaderm with absorbent / protective gauze and/or wrap.
    expect some leakage,
    leave the tegaderm on for several days.
    repeat.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to use antibiotic ointment, but it would soak into the bandage and/or skin in a few hours. Over the course of a workday it would dry out and the bandage would be sticking into the scab that was trying to form. Now, I use Vaseline. In my experience it works better to keep the wound moist, and I clean and redress in the evening. Just what works for me.
    Cook

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    i used duoderm dressing and cover it with some tegaderm flim .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Yunnan Baiao or Magic Powder. Chinese herb compound available over the counter at a lot of Asian markets. This stuff is amazing. Sprinkle some of the powder into the wound and cover. It stops the bleeding immediately, promotes rapid healing and helps with minimal scarring. Been around for centuries, but came to be known in the US during the Vietnam war. The Vietnamese solders carried a little bottle with them. In the bottle is the powder and a little pill to take.