Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I had the bicycle shop convert it to straight handlebars for better steering control, which could mean the difference in saving you from having an accident when the front wheel of your Kevlar tires with 115 lbs. pressure hits a pot hole, since it gives more leverage for better control than the narrower curved type handlebars.
    I noticed that over 60% of the professional bicycle racers at a race I saw back then all had the same type of Scott bicycle as mine.
    This guy sounds like a used car salesman. I didn't realize Scott had cornered the market on supplying bikes to professional racers. 60%... WOW!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Bikes are a reflection of their owners personalities. It's well known that "fit" is the most important attribute of a bicycle. All these "unique" bicycles probably "fit" their owners personalities perfectly. Even though I wouldn'tt be caught dead on one of those bikes, they probably woundn't be caught dead on one of mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't really understand all the self-righteous snobbishness at his choices. Sure, he'd probably have been better off to get a city-type bike in the first place, but he had the $ for this one, and he made changes that suit his riding style. Some of the ad copy is silly (especially about the handlebar), but the only choice I'd really object to is the Shrader valves, which are a PITA with high-ressure tires. Kevlar-belted tires to reduce flats are a reasonable choice for a city rider who doesn't much care about weight.

Anyway, it's just a bike, not an antique or a work of art. People can do what they want with theri own bikes.

Bike Enthusiast
    Apr 2011
    I wander if the kickstand is very aerodynamic?
    2013 Specialized Allez Compact
    2014 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    2012 Specialized Crux Skittles
    2013 Fuji Finest 1.1C (Wife's)

Roadbike Rider

Ugly but sort-of functional for commuting?

If you wanted a light weight commuter with an upright riding position, were paranoid about flat tires and had a money's-no-object approach, one of these babies would be somewhat viable.

It's not how most of us would approach it but unlike race bikes there is no singular design for a light weight commuter.
    "It's supposed to be automatic, but actually you have to push this button. "
    — John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar)

Fecal indicator
    making some questionable alterations to a relatively nice bike isn't that big of a deal.

people should save their criticisms for the person who actually shells out money to buy such a CF...
    eff all y'all...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    making some questionable alterations to a relatively nice bike isn't that big of a deal.
    I agree with this and other comments pointing out that it's his bike, his money and his choice. And I suspect everyone else agrees as well. I think all that's really bothering anyone is the pearls upon swine aspect, that it was a nice bike with some nice features that went completely unappreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    the flatbars make me cringe, but it's not my bike.

i think the humor is in the "salesmanship" the ad poster is using to sell his bike.

if he just said hey, "here's my customized flatbar carbon bike. spent XXXX dollars, selling for XXX obo" people would probably not have THAT much to laugh about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by charlox5 View Post
    the flatbars make me cringe, but it's not my bike.

i think the humor is in the "salesmanship" the ad poster is using to sell his bike.

if he just said hey, "here's my customized flatbar carbon bike. spent XXXX dollars, selling for XXX obo" people would probably not have THAT much to laugh about.
    although the salesmanship is pretty much on par with the crap spewed by bike and component manufacturers alike.
    Blows your hair back.

Bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    That "idiot" is a friend and former customer (from when I worked at Bike Wave). His name is Bart Kaufman. That is his Arizona bike. His Indiana bike is a Cervelo Soloist Carbon set up exactly the same.

Bart rides more than half of the people on this board probably, even though he has had 3 knee replacements.

Hey Platy, the good news is that he's now riding 10 minutes less per week now that he got those nice dish wheels. He really cut down on his commute time. Average increased to 10.3 miles per hour with a tailwind.
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

Bacon!
    That "idiot" is a friend and former customer (from when I worked at Bike Wave). His name is Bart Kaufman. That is his Arizona bike. His Indiana bike is a Cervelo Soloist Carbon set up exactly the same.

Bart rides more than half of the people on this board probably, even though he has had 3 knee replacements.
    Oh, and sell him a @#$@#$ real bike lock!!!!!!!!!
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for posting, i was in desperate need of a good laugh today!

By the way, I can't believe that he is trying to sell that bike without reflectors......

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010

Ouch; shame on me !

My apologies; I jumped on the bandwagon and got carried away .

I got that pic from a thread here last year or so. I believe it may have been the subject of the thread.

In addition; He can't be all bad, he's a Hoosier ! (And a lawyer !)

Edit: Said post corrected.

America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by den bakker View Post
    although the salesmanship is pretty much on par with the crap spewed by bike and component manufacturers alike.
    touche!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    I'm still surprised a Shop took the liability of frickin drilling rims on wheels already engineered to the limit of safety?
    At that point, IMO, any decent shop would have offered him a different bike/ trade-in. Of course they might have and he refused, hard ot tell?
    "Pee-wee Herman loved his bicycle more than life itself"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    My favorite bike description on Craigslist has to be the "hipster ass hipster bike for hipsters"... There was a thread on here about it a few weeks ago, google it to have a good laugh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by draganM View Post
    I'm still surprised a Shop took the liability of frickin drilling rims on wheels already engineered to the limit of safety?
    At that point, IMO, any decent shop would have offered him a different bike/ trade-in. Of course they might have and he refused, hard ot tell?
    Oh but he put kevlar tires on it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    it's frigging mavic wheels.
    The reason they hold up in the first place is because they are not engineered to the limit of safety......
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Enlarging presta to shrader removes less than a millimeter all around the hole. It's not going to cause wheel failure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They clamped a heavy steel kickstand to a thin carbon chainstay. You think the drilled rims are their biggest engineering liability?

banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cda 455 View Post
    At least he doesn't have the money invested like this person:

Ouch! All he needs on that is an espresso machine and he'll be set.

banned
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfend View Post
    They clamped a heavy steel kickstand to a thin carbon chainstay. You think the drilled rims are their biggest engineering liability?
    The real question is what bike shop would do this to a bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It burns my eyes! Why would someone deface such a work of art like that CR-1? If you want flat bars, a kickstand, schraeder valves, and a cushy seat, just get a $400 hybrid!

"I had the bicycle shop convert it to straight handlebars for better steering control, which could mean the difference in saving you from having an accident when the front wheel of your Kevlar tires with 115 lbs. pressure hits a pot hole, since it gives more leverage for better control than the narrower curved type handlebars."

Nonsense. If drops are so unsafe, how come EVERY road bike comes with them? In fact, drops are an advantage on any bike that's being ridden on anything easier than technical downhill singletrack. Out of all the bikes in my stable, road and mountain and everything in between, only my 6" travel all-mountain screamer has a flat bar.

On the other hand, this bike at $1200 is a steal if you have extra components lying around that you could replace his "upgrades" with.
    Last edited by Soundtallica; 04-09-2012 at 03:09 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundtallica View Post
    It burns my eyes! Why would someone deface such a work of art like that CR-1? If you want flat bars, a kickstand, schraeder valves, and a cushy seat, just get a $400 hybrid!
    There you go. It struck me there must be thousands of teenagers who'd drool over that bike in its original configuration and would have appreciated how special it was. But for them, it's completely out of reach. It's sad when you see something really nice, really special getting wasted in the hands of someone who couldn't appreciate it when there are so many others who might have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Did you ever ask him why he would do this? I mean, really it defies normal reason. There has to be a reason more than just wanting to waste a couple thousand bucks. Does he realize what this bike says about him? and it definitely says something about him, make no mistake about that. weather you like it or not this guy wants to stand out from the crowd in an extremely eccentric way. that's about the nicest way I can put it. he's pushing the envelope on normalcy here.
    EDIT: On further reflection I was a little harsh, but still the question needs to be asked. Why do this if not to incite violent reaction. This could "no way" have resulted in a better riding bike than one designed for this purpose, plus it would have cost what, 4 times as much as a bike designed for easy bike trails, which I would have to say this one would be suited for,; that and grocery shopping. I will stick by my statement that the person wanted to make a statement and that is what this bike is about. I will back of on just what statement he is trying to make but I will say he definitely wanted to be noticed. I mean he had to go way out of his way to do this. definitely outside of the box thinking going on here.

Last edited by martinrjensen; 04-09-2012 at 04:08 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast