RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

How to rustproof a steel frame?

I just received a Fuji Roubaix Pro frameset made of Reynolds 853 steel that I plan to build up with mostly existing parts. I hope it rides nice, 'cause it's kinda heavy at 4.0 to 4.5 pounds on my bathroom scale.

I read an article a while back that there was something (linseed oil?) that can be used to coat the inside of steel frames that will reduce the chances of a frame rusting out in the future. Does anyone know of the material and the technique. Obviously, I'd like to do this now, while the frame is still naked (without the components that is).

On the other hand, how likely is the frame to rust over the next decade or two if I keep in garaged and do only a couple of rain rides a year?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Standard procedures

There is a product called Weigle Frame Saver that works very well. At the same time, any petroleum product that doesn't evaportate also works very well. I have used TriFlow aerosol to good effect. You just need to coat the steel surfaces with something that repels water and blocks a bit of oxygen. Whether your frame would actually rust to any significant degree is hard to predict. There are a lot of factors that influence this, and many people report no problems after many years and no protective practices. That said, it is a pretty easy thing to protect a frame and then, no worries.

Banned forever.....or not
    Lindseed oil has benn used for over a hundred years with good results.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

How to apply?

Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    Lindseed oil has benn used for over a hundred years with good results.
    Do I basically just pour it straight from the can to coat the inside of the frame and just let it drip dry?

Ya, what ATP said...!
    I've used frame saver on a few bikes I've owned and used nothing on most and have never had a problem with rust. You can treat the inside of the tubes if you want but it's not really a problem unless you live on the coast and ride every day near the beach (or live in Seattle and train year round). It really depends on where you live. I was a mechanic for a while and ride with several career mechanics and they have never seen rust as a problem, even on bikes that see a lot of rain, 1 in a 1000 have a problem. I would ask a couple of local mechanics if its a problem where you live. I think this falls under one of those myths about various frame materials.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogdweller
    I've used frame saver on a few bikes I've owned and used nothing on most and have never had a problem with rust. You can treat the inside of the tubes if you want but it's not really a problem unless you live on the coast and ride every day near the beach (or live in Seattle and train year round). It really depends on where you live. I was a mechanic for a while and ride with several career mechanics and they have never seen rust as a problem, even on bikes that see a lot of rain, 1 in a 1000 have a problem. I would ask a couple of local mechanics if its a problem where you live. I think this falls under one of those myths about various frame materials.
    I can tell then that you're not aware of the "rusty Bontragers" in the early '90s in the Toronto area then? That city is ten hours' drive from the closest ocean. Those frames rusted clean through in the lower downtube/under chanstay area within six months from brand new. It's tough to generalize.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

03 Fuji Marseille
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMSG
    I just received a Fuji Roubaix Pro frameset made of Reynolds 853 steel that I plan to build up with mostly existing parts. I hope it rides nice, 'cause it's kinda heavy at 4.0 to 4.5 pounds on my bathroom scale.

I read an article a while back that there was something (linseed oil?) that can be used to coat the inside of steel frames that will reduce the chances of a frame rusting out in the future. Does anyone know of the material and the technique. Obviously, I'd like to do this now, while the frame is still naked (without the components that is).

On the other hand, how likely is the frame to rust over the next decade or two if I keep in garaged and do only a couple of rain rides a year?
    I have an 03 Marseille and i used frame saver when i first got it but i'm not that worried about it. I let it dry good after a wash,wipe it down if i get rained on.
    Just Ride
    03 Fuji Marseille

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    I can tell then that you're not aware of the "rusty Bontragers" in the early '90s in the Toronto area then? That city is ten hours' drive from the closest ocean. Those frames rusted clean through in the lower downtube/under chanstay area within six months from brand new. It's tough to generalize.
    Is that cause Keith didn't drill a hole in the bb shell or something? I don't think there's anything particulary unique about those steel frames that would cause them to rust more than others (I had a Race, still have one of his old cross frames). I can't see that there would be any problem if they had been treated/maintained properly.

I just shoot Boeshield down the tubes--easy to apply and no mess. But as others have mentioned, you can use just about anything. If you ride on very wet/humid conditions, it's something you need to be on top of, though.

Ya, what ATP said...!
    "rusty Bontragers" in "Toronto" is pretty specific. All I was saying was that his local mechanics would be a better source to ask if it's even necessary rather than a national forum like this. My knowledge on this is unique to my location (and those I've wrenched in) but the generalization is that all steel frames rust. I don't agree with this at all. If I owned a Bontrager in Toronto, I'd treat it but the frames I treated here were a waste of time and effort. It just wasn't necessary.

toomanybikes
    Anything in Toronto would rust through in short order as a result of the extreme amounts of salt thrown down on the roads in that area.

n00bsauce
    Maybe you thought it was a waste of time because it worked? Very small price to pay for peace of mind. Use JPWeigle Framesaver and rest easy for life.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    Anything in Toronto would rust through in short order as a result of the extreme amounts of salt thrown down on the roads in that area.
    My Bonty was rusty inside (from a cup full of water trapped inside) but it didn't rust through in the 5 years I owned it. I didn't even ride mine on the road in winter. I live 80 minutes west of Toronto. My son, on a equally new Stumpy, rode with me all the time and in that same time period didn't get any water in his frame and it was as bright & shiny as a new nickle inside the BB shell. Go figure.

All my steel frames since then have had a hole drilled in the BB shell - by me.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

Ya, what ATP said...!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson
    Maybe you thought it was a waste of time because it worked? Very small price to pay for peace of mind. Use JPWeigle Framesaver and rest easy for life.
    I thought it wasn't necessary because the frames I didn't treat also didn't rust. It might be necessary for the original poster because of where he lives but nobody has bothered to ask. I wasn't telling him not to treat, I was telling him to ask if it was necessary and to someone other than us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

frame saver

I've applied the JP Weigle product on three frames. Its pretty easy to do if the frame is not built up. Just follow the directions on the can. Its a good idea to wipe off the frame before the stuff dries. Once it does its a lot more difficult to deal with although it comes off with WD40. I have not tried linseed oil (other than on furniture) but since JP weigle only costs about $10 per can it hardly seemed worth the trouble

banned
    Apr 2004

Wasting Money

Cosmetic rust inside of the tubes is never going to kill anybody. Just wash the stuff out when you overhaul the bike. All those products are just a waste of money.

Shirtcocker

Waste of time unless you live near the ocean. I don't do anything special to my Colnago MXL other than touch up the paint if there is a large chip with fingernail polish. Rust and steel frames is not as big of an issue as one would think. Your car is made of steel and I bet it is out in the rain quite a lot.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

waste of money

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky2
    Cosmetic rust inside of the tubes is never going to kill anybody. Just wash the stuff out when you overhaul the bike. All those products are just a waste of money.
    Crap! You mean I just wasted 10 bucks? I coulda bought a couple of Powerbars with that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

compare bicycle to car???

A post on Mtb forum reminds us that a car's undercarriage is treated at the factory...

maybe I'm alone in a dusty outpost on this one...but I put ALOT more care into my bike than my car. ?

If the bike is still in its component pieces then I'm for spending the $15 and get the upper hand by making a pre-emptive strike in this war against terr...I mean rust.
    Last edited by pinkbikediva; 09-23-2007 at 06:36 AM.

Erfahrener Radfahrer
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    I think even my carbon bike would rust after seeing a Toronto winter
    Allan

I SUPPORT DRUG FREE SPORT

Resident Dutchbag
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkbikediva
    A post on Mtb forum reminds us that a car's undercarriage is treated at the factory...

maybe I'm alone in a dusty outpost on this one...but I put ALOT more care into my bike than my car. ?

If the bike is still in its component pieces then I'm for spending the $15 and get the upper hand by making a pre-emptive strike in this war against terr...I mean rust.
    What, you spray it down with Tectyl 190 or something?
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

Just in case you didn't notice.....This thread is almost 3 years old.
    Dogbert.

I>U

Resident Dutchbag
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    Just in case you didn't notice.....This thread is almost 3 years old.
    So, how did that linseed oil work out?
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

Still working.
    They used it 100 years ago, and it's still one of the best things to use.
    A one quart can will do at least 30 bikes.
    Dogbert.

I>U

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I use Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector on mine and have had no problems. We get a lot of salt on our roads here in MO, too. HDMP is also a great chain lube.
    Smokey