RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

Unhappy How to save the Bike when frame integrated seat post clamp fails - BMC SL01 Road ?

Hi,

Advice sought on how best to save my BMC SL01 Road Racer. It is a favourite cycle and recently the seat post felt odd at the end of a ride.

Quick check revealed that the frame - integrated seat post clamp had given way.

What is the best way to recover and restore the bike to full capability?

Any responses resulting in recovering this bicycle hugely appreciated.

A few pictures to illustrate:
    How to save the Bike when frame integrated seat post clamp fails - BMC SL01 Road ?-img_4392.jpgHow to save the Bike when frame integrated seat post clamp fails - BMC SL01 Road ?-img_4394.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Send it to a carbon bike frame repair shop or buy another frame.

Oh wait, is that Aluminum frame, if so, trash it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    You're out of luck. As factory feel observed, the frame is aluminum. That seat lug area is not replaceable or repairable.

Have you tried getting the frame warrantied? If for whatever reason it's not covered under the warranty, then it's time to get a new frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    If you do try to get it warranteed, I have to wonder what they will say about that top bolt. Looks to have been over torqued or at least tightened with the wrong size hex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    If you do try to get it warranteed, I have to wonder what they will say about that top bolt. Looks to have been over torqued or at least tightened with the wrong size hex.
    how would you go about proving that a bolt is over torqued?

Darling of The Lounge
    I would be interested to know the rider's weight and how far out the seat post protrudes out of seat tube.

Between the possible over-torquing of the seat clamp hex bolts, and how little of the seat post might be inserted into the frame, that area may have been subjected to a lot of flex.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    You could always ask Frank The Welder is it's fixable (probably not, or probably $$$$ if it is). I didn't really think about repairs to aluminium frames till I saw him resurrect a few old Yeti ARC frames...but replacing head/seat tubes is maybe a bit different to the seat cluster on that frame, there's a whole lot going on there.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    You could always ask Frank The Welder is it's fixable (probably not, or probably $$$$ if it is). I didn't really think about repairs to aluminium frames till I saw him resurrect a few old Yeti ARC frames...but replacing head/seat tubes is maybe a bit different to the seat cluster on that frame, there's a whole lot going on there.
    That's most likely not fixable w/o some serious re-working of the frame due to BMC's stupid overly designed lug that integrates the seatstays/seat/top tubes. I've seen these frames fail there, especially on their mtb frames. Talk about overly complex for form's sake.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I would be interested to know the rider's weight and how far out the seat post protrudes out of seat tube.

Between the possible over-torquing of the seat clamp hex bolts, and how little of the seat post might be inserted into the frame, that area may have been subjected to a lot of flex.
    Good observation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

BMC SL01 Road Racer - Integrated Seat Post Clamp Split, how to remedy?

[QUOTE=MattCole;5239145]Hi,

Advice sought on how best to save my BMC SL01 Road Racer. It is a favourite cycle and recently the seat post felt odd at the end of a ride.

Quick check revealed that the frame - integrated seat post clamp had given way.

What is the best way to recover and restore the bike to full capability?

Any responses resulting in recovering this bicycle hugely appreciated.

A few pictures to illustrate:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4392.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	322875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4394.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	322876

It appears as a forum that there is no answer, Many have noted the BMC design as over complex. Several have commented if the frame is aluminium that it should be trashed.

Rider weight is c80kg and the seatpost extends a long way into the seat tube.

Best non-forum response has been to fabricate a stainless steel ring, given the complex shape this seems a challenge.

Would be very grateful if there any practical suggestions that do not involve loosing the frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

BMC SL01 Showing Seatpost Length

How to save the Bike when frame integrated seat post clamp fails - BMC SL01 Road ?-img_4393.jpg

Approx 80 kg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCole View Post
    Would be very grateful if there any practical suggestions that do not involve loosing the frame?
    I'm really curious why you think there haven't been any real answers, or maybe you're just not happy with the answers you've gotten? That crack cannot be fixed by welding and welding will create even more problems. The frame cannot be easily heat treated again with those carbon stays glued into that mess of a seat collar lug. There's just way too many difficult things connected to that seat collar lug. Did you try contacting BMC for repairs, officially? The obvious thing to do is to replace that lug. But as I wrote, doing that is far from easy.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Nothing lasts forever. Part it out, mount it on a wall as a memento...and buy a new bike or frame.

Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    I'm really curious why you think there haven't been any real answers, or maybe you're just not happy with the answers you've gotten? That crack cannot be fixed by welding and welding will create even more problems. The frame cannot be easily heat treated again with those carbon stays glued into that mess of a seat collar lug. There's just way too many difficult things connected to that seat collar lug. Did you try contacting BMC for repairs, officially? The obvious thing to do is to replace that lug. But as I wrote, doing that is far from easy.
    ^That^
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Why was a frame like that ever built is my question.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Why was a frame like that ever built is my question.
    BMC sold a ton of them because of it...I will admit it is a cool looking joint design, and very memorable from a branding standpoint. Seriously, you see that seat-cluster-lug and you *know* who made those bikes even if the frame was media-blasted and anonymized.

Over-engineered and problematic long-term...but cool looking.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

'brifter' is a lame word.
    If it's not covered by warranty it's finished. There is no way to fix that, trust me.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Ditto what cx said.

Also, in my opinion, that's a sketchy design for attaching the seatpost to the top tube and the seat stay. I would have anticipated failure in that area at some point in the life of that frame.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It appears as a forum that there is no answer
    Incorrect. There's been numerous definitive answers. That frame is 1000% trashed. You can't fix it.
    It's a 10+ year old frame and BMC has a 3yr warranty. You've gotten your life out of it.

No. None. Nada. Nein.
    Any attempt to try and fix that would be a hack job at worst, and at best would cost significantly more than buying a brand new frame of better quality.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    You could cut it off. But I don't know if you'd have enough seatpost tube left showing to fashion a clamp or not. And diameter could be a problem.
    I'd ask a frame builder that deals with alloy.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    If I had to ride the bike until I got a new one, like to get to work or something, I might jury rig 2 or 3 hose clamps to hold the seat in place.

One on the seat post to keep it from sliding down beyond where you want it, and at least one on the broken collar on the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Hose clamps are not going to hold that....

You can fix it using auto muffler clamp around the area where the crack is, use one or two if possible.

There you go, you can fix it!
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    Thank you all for advising. Some very wise words, it appears that the BMC original design presents too many obstacles. Such a great pity to loose such a lovely bike - it has worked perfectly until this fracture.

My trusty steel first race bike is still going strong - perhaps there is a lesson in there somewhere

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you all for advising. Some very wise words, it appears that the BMC original design presents too many obstacles. Such a great pity to loose such a lovely bike - it has worked perfectly until this fracture.

My trusty steel first race bike is still going strong - perhaps there is a lesson in there somewhere
    just wait until all the carbon bikes with their proprietary aero shaped seatposts crack, then good luck trying to find a replacement seatposts! By then, these owners will also harbor the same sentiment as you: "pity that a whole bike is trash due to unavailability of a seatpost!"