RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

How terrible are the powertap cleats?

Looking to start training with power and the powertap p1s is my only reasonable option because my bike doesn't have a hollowtech ii crank for a stages and it's an 8 speed where as the power tap hub apparently only works on 9, 10 and 11...so looking at pedal power options I think the p1s is my best bet.

Everything seems good about them, but from what I've been reading, the cleats are garbage and break apart while you are riding and can cause you to crash! Anybody have any experience with them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    You have a lot more options than powertap pedals. For instance, the favero assioma pedals are cheaper and better. They work with standard look cleats.
    I like to ride fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by marathonrunner View Post
    You have a lot more options than powertap pedals. For instance, the favero assioma pedals are cheaper and better. They work with standard look cleats.
    Yeah I was looking at those but I don't like that they have built in battery because the battery life will inevitably deteriorate over time. Also there website seems to be broken for the last couple days which kind of comes off as a red flag to me lol.

https://cycling.favero.com/assioma

There's also the garmin vector, but I hear they had issues with drop outs and also they've pretty much been out of stock for months now and I don't like how you can't simply use a hex wrench to take them on/off, but you need a pedal wrench!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Have you considered the Powertap C1 chainring option? They are reasonably priced and fit "most" cranksets. I've had them for over 18 months with no issues.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by floralagator View Post
    Have you considered the Powertap C1 chainring option? They are reasonably priced and fit "most" cranksets. I've had them for over 18 months with no issues.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Yeah I would, but sadly they don't have one for my 50/34 and I don't think they fit square taper cranks

'brifter' is a lame word.
    At this point it sounds like you have more important issues to deal with before you start worrying about powermeters. I'm not saying you shouldn't put a powermeter on an old bike that's 8 speed and has square taper cranks....but what are you training for? What do you think you're going to get out of this?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    At this point it sounds like you have more important issues to deal with before you start worrying about powermeters. I'm not saying you shouldn't put a powermeter on an old bike that's 8 speed and has square taper cranks....but what are you training for? What do you think you're going to get out of this?

it's not an old bike, its a 2018 domane al 2, tbh idk if its square taper or not, i think thats what it is, i do know that it doesn't have the hollowtech ii bb.

I want a PM so I can pace myself and see what my 20 minute power is and work on improving that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    My first powermeter was a powertap wired hub. I used it with my cx bike, which was 8 speed tiagra. Spacing is the same for 8/9 speed. It was 100 bucks and worked well.

I've had the favero pedals for six months of hard riding (crashed, ridden in rain, ridden on singletrack) and had no issues or even slightly noticeable battery degredation. From dcrainmaker's review: First off is that batteries are generally rated to a certain number of recharge cycles, in the case of the Assioma battery, thatís estimated to be about 500 cycles (per an e-mail from Assioma). Once it reaches that number, they donít stop working. Instead they might slowly degrade, perhaps to 80% of battery capacity. With a battery life of 50 hours, and the 500 recharge cycles, that puts you at 25,000 hours of battery life before it starts to degrade. Thatís 24 years of riding 20 hours per week. Or almost 50 years if you rode 10 hours per week. Seriously, youíll have long moved onto something else by then. Battery cycle time is not your concern here.

That is weird that the website is down but I bought mine from clevertraining.
    I like to ride fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I'd add this: The main reason I'd get power meter pedals is for moving between bikes. If you only have one bike you need power on, or if you plan to keep your current bike for a long time before upgrading, I'd get something else. The cost of a new 5800 crankset and a single sided 4ii would be less than the favero pedals. Or a power2max ng eco with fsa cranks-that'd be my first choice and they're great units. With a powertap hub (cheap) you're limited to that one likely heavy set of wheels, which may or may not be fine for you.

I ultimately bought pedals because I have three road bikes and wanted the same power meter on all three of them.
    I like to ride fast.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sproiteboike View Post
    it's not an old bike, its a 2018 domane al 2, tbh idk if its square taper or not, i think thats what it is, i do know that it doesn't have the hollowtech ii bb.

I want a PM so I can pace myself and see what my 20 minute power is and work on improving that.
    Like anything there are good/reliable options and there are lower priced/not as reliable/harder to use options. Powermeters are definitely something where the higher priced/higher quality options are more reliable and more accurate. The problem is they cost more than your bike. Is it really that important to have a power meter in your life? You'll know if you're improving by look at how long your rides take. When I stopped racing I immediately stopped paying attention to my power output...it was really nice to not worry about the numbers and just ride. Is it necessary that you 'show improvement'?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the powertap cleats are XPedo cleats, which are very similar to, but not identical to Look cleats.

I know some folks have tried using them with Look cleats with mixed success (some very painful).

I've had a set of P1 pedal/cleats for a while now, but don't use them often. The few times I've used them, they worked fine. I prefer a small amount of float, but the 6 degree was too much, so I ended up with the - 0 degree float. It took me a few tried to dial them in, but now that I've done that, they seem to be fine.

I'm a big/heavy guy at 240lbs and 6'5'. I have put a lot of power on these cleats and pedals with no issues. I don't know if I would race in them (I have a strong preference for Speedplay Zero's - hopefully some day they'll have PM pedals).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well thatís a new one....never heard of the cleats breaking apart. Iíve got over 4,000 trouble free miles on my P1ís so far. I really wish we could get Shimano based cleats, but it is what it is. Anyway, go check out DC Rainmakers review and subsequent comments section. Pretty much everything you need to know about the P1ís (and other power meters) can be found there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Thousands of miles on my P1's and no issues at all, pedals or cleats. I have not had a single incident of unclipping unintentionally and ride them hard with frequent town sign sprints. The little rubber bits you walk on wear slightly faster than the Shimano cleats I used before, but it does not impact performance at all. The P1's use Ryder RC-7 cleats which are easy to source and fairly inexpensive, so not a big deal at all.