Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pedalpedalpedal
    If it was entirely up to me, and I had the resources, I'd do it like this kid does: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...p?f=10&t=80684

Folsom City Blues...
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelS View Post
    I'm going through this right now. We finally got our finances in order, loaded up the kids college funds, and decided to splurge with some of the savings. I've plunked down a bundle for a new custom bike.

I thought about disk breaks and decided against it. I spend a LOT of time going up and down hills and never really had a problem with rim brakes. Aside from that, they add a lot of complexity, maintenance issues, and weight.

I also decided against an electronic groupset (though my wife got one). I'm way off in the middle of nowhere with no cell service at least twice a month. I'm not willing to risk a failure of the shifter. At least with a cable actuated system I can rig something that will get me home.

Building a custom bike is a lot of fun, but can be a major headache. Make sure to choose your builder wisely. Some do a better job of listening and communicating than others. While they haven't yet finished my frame, the level of communication I am getting from Guru is nothing short of amazing.
    Hey Joel, who's doing your custom? Did you go with some one local?

Peace
    Tao Te Ching

The movement of the Tao is to return
    The way of Tao is to yield

Heaven, Earth and all things

are born of existant world.

The existent world is born of nothingness of Tao

Master Lao Tzu

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by ClancyO View Post
    Fortunately (or not) my wife won't let me entertain such thoughts for another 2 years barring any sudden windfall (or a divorce) so I don't REALLY have to choose yet. But if I did have to choose now, I’d go with 135 rear spacing, and the welded tabs. I’d definitely build it up with the disc’s initially. Mechanical (I’m still running avid mechanicals on my mtn bike and have no complaints). And likely a mechanical ultegra/durace..

I’d like the bike to be ‘tough enough’ for cyclocross action (including ~30 mm tire clearance) but it’s doubtful I’d ever use it that way (this is the dream bike after all – who wants to do that to their ‘baby’?). I guess in my head – what I want is a road bike capable of doing cyclocross, versus a cyclocross bike that’s been adapted for the road use.. If that makes sense. Bomb proof, but still fairly light...
    Makes sense. The thing I find interesting about this is that this has been a perfectly viable option for several years, and almost no one saw the need. Now suddenly in the last six months it's become a sort of requirement in the collective mind. Not arguing for or against - I just find the mass psychology fascinating.

But I know what you mean about the bike otherwise. An upscale Salsa Vaya could be pretty cool.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    Hey Joel, who's doing your custom? Did you go with some one local?

Peace
    No one local. They're in Canada. This one will be made by Guru. Hoping it'll be ready next month.

Folsom City Blues...
    No one local. They're in Canada. This one will be made by Guru. Hoping it'll be ready next month.
    Great, I hope you'll be on the saddle of your new Guru next month too. If you don't mind me asking, any reason you didn't go with Steve Rex? Anyhoo, please post a photo when you get your Guru and I'd love to see a photo of your wife's bike too.

Peace
    Tao Te Ching

Master Lao Tzu

Cat 6
    I have 3 bikes- (2) full carbon Madones, (1) old steel schwinn tempo I converted to a fixie.

Budget - not really an issue, I have plenty of time to save between now and then.
    Last edited by rose.johnp; 04-13-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Update
    Madone 5.2
    Madone 6.9 SSL
    1986 Schwinn Tempo [Fixie]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Great, I hope you'll be on the saddle of your new Guru next month too. If you don't mind me asking, any reason you didn't go with Steve Rex? Anyhoo, please post a photo when you get your Guru and I'd love to see a photo of your wife's bike too.

Peace
    Steve Rex makes great steel bikes, Ti and CF he sends out. I'm pretty sure that the Ti designs go to Lynsky, and I think I recall that the CF goes to Calfee - but I could be mistaken. If I were after steel this go round, there's a very high probability I would have gone to Steve.

Guru offers more than just custom geometry. They also tailor the CF layup to provide specific characteristics in ride quality/stiffness/vibration absorption/etc. I've had extensive conversations with them, and I'm confident that the bike will be perfect. They've also been super responsive to answering all my questions regarding geometry and such.

I do have a steel framed Colnago that needs to go see Steve. It was a victim of a collision with a car, and I want to see if the frame is still square. He has an alignment table so should be able to check it. If so, I'll need Steve to make an appropriate replacement steel fork for it. If not, I have to decide if I want it fixed.

My wife opted for a Felt ZW1 with Ultegra UI2, and Easton wheels. I'll dig up a picture one of these days.

Are you in the Sacramento area?

Folsom City Blues...
    Steve Rex makes great steel bikes, Ti and CF he sends out. I'm pretty sure that the Ti designs go to Lynsky, and I think I recall that the CF goes to Calfee - but I could be mistaken. If I were after steel this go round, there's a very high probability I would have gone to Steve.

Guru offers more than just custom geometry. They also tailor the CF layup to provide specific characteristics in ride quality/stiffness/vibration absorption/etc. I've had extensive conversations with them, and I'm confident that the bike will be perfect. They've also been super responsive to answering all my questions regarding geometry and such.

I do have a steel framed Colnago that needs to go see Steve. It was a victim of a collision with a car, and I want to see if the frame is still square. He has an alignment table so should be able to check it. If so, I'll need Steve to make an appropriate replacement steel fork for it. If not, I have to decide if I want it fixed.

My wife opted for a Felt ZW1 with Ultegra UI2, and Easton wheels. I'll dig up a picture one of these days.

Are you in the Sacramento area?
    I'm in Folsom, I think I'm a little east of you. If I recall correctly, your in Rancho Cordova. Steve did my steel bike, there's a photo at the end of this thread. To the OP, apologies for hijacking your thread.

Peace
    Tao Te Ching

Master Lao Tzu

Cat 6
    If I don't go with Di2, I'll ply go with 105 or Ultegra. My other 2 bikes have DA on them- having all Shimano will make any swaps/upgrades easy.
    Wheels - Something I haven't given much thought to actually. Since weight (of the bike) isn't really a big concern, but my weight (200+) is a concern- So I'd want a solid wheel set. Guess I'll have some more shopping to do.
    Madone 5.2
    Madone 6.9 SSL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I'm in Folsom, I think I'm a little east of you. If I recall correctly, your in Rancho Cordova. Steve did my steel bike, there's a photo at the end of this thread. To the OP, apologies for hijacking your thread.

Peace
    I saw the picture of your bike earlier on. Nice component selection

Maybe we'll get to ride together at some point. I post my rides at http://www.hammerinwheels.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    I thought about disk breaks (you mean "brakes") and decided against it. I spend a LOT of time going up and down hills and never really had a problem with rim brakes. Aside from that, they add a lot of complexity, maintenance issues, and weight.
    Huh? Complexity and maintenance issues?

On my mountain bikes they've been a set-it-and-forget-it kind of affair.

Since I live in the wet and muddy PNW, disc brake tabs would be a must-have for any custom short of a full-on race bike. Due to the weather, I'd probably go with a single front chain ring as well, as there's less maintenance issues if you delete the front derailleur.

And I'd possibly go with KVA stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by rose.johnp View Post
    If I don't go with Di2, I'll ply go with 105 or Ultegra. My other 2 bikes have DA on them- having all Shimano will make any swaps/upgrades easy.
    That sounds like a very smart move.
    Cervelo Soloist Carbon / Look 585 / Look 555 / Redline Conquest Pro / Kona Kapu / Santa Cruz Blur / Torker U-District / Custom fixie

http://www.BloggersInc.com/CycloPath/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilliConCarnage View Post
    Huh? Complexity and maintenance issues?

On my mountain bikes they've been a set-it-and-forget-it kind of affair.

Since I live in the wet and muddy PNW, disc brake tabs would be a must-have for any custom short of a full-on race bike. Due to the weather, I'd probably go with a single front chain ring as well, as there's less maintenance issues if you delete the front derailleur.

And I'd possibly go with KVA stainless steel.

That sounds like a very smart move.
    Spelling police? Please. I'm sure everyone knew what I meant by context. And don't tell me you've never made a similar mistake of spelling out the wrong word.

And yes, unproven. In road bikes. We're still awaiting development of a lever with proper cable pull. And hydraulic systems are still in development. Disk brakes are well proven in the MTB arena, but not yet for road bikes.

With rim brakes, I can lock up a wheel easily enough. Do we really need more braking power on a road bike? Maybe on a loaded tourer, but not a race/rec bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Spelling police? Please. I'm sure everyone knew what I meant by context. And don't tell me you've never made a similar mistake of spelling out the wrong word.

And yes, unproven. In road bikes. We're still awaiting development of a lever with proper cable pull. And hydraulic systems are still in development. Disk brakes are well proven in the MTB arena, but not yet for road bikes.

With rim brakes, I can lock up a wheel easily enough. Do we really need more braking power on a road bike? Maybe on a loaded tourer, but not a race/rec bike.
    And when you order a custom bike, you can do it however you want.

I built mine with braze-on lugs for mafac racers. Because that's what I wanted. Don't really give a sh!t what anyone else thinks, don't care what the industry thinks. That's kinda the whole point of custom- when no one makes what you want, you go custom.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    All around road bike out of steel or ti... Traditional stage racing geometry with a level top tube. Room for at least 28's...maybe even 32's. Long reach caliper brakes. Rides the road, pave, and gravel. A pump peg.

Hmm. Basically a $2-3k Surly Pacer frameset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Frame sized and optimized for my riding style
    Clearance for larger tires
    Cable routing so you can throw the frame over your shoulder in case you want to try 'cross
    Pump peg (thanks for the reminder RekibTaf)
    Third bottle cage mounts (you may someday want to mount a light battery in that cage)
    Braze ons for fenders (if you plan to ride in wet weather. You don't have to use them, but the one time you want them you'll wish you had them)
    Whatever drive train is good enough for your abilities but doesn't drain the bank unnecessarily. Same with the wheels.

I know it's custom and the inclination is to go top-shelf on customs but I only specify parts that are appropriate for me. I've been using Ultegra stuff for longer than I can remember. It's very good and the price is reasonable. I can't justify the up-sell to DA given my skills, I don't race, and I don't do thousands and thousands of miles a year, where maybe (maybe) I'd notice the difference. Same with wheels. I prefer to dump the cash into a frame and parts that help the bike fit me and all of my eccentricities.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg View Post
    If it was entirely up to me, and I had the resources, I'd do it like this kid does: Weight Weenies • View topic - Berk PROTO-TYPE Composites
    +1 except I wouldn't have the patience or skill but I very much admire his work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    And yes, unproven. In road bikes....

Unproven? What again? There have been thousands of Avid BB7 road disc brakes sold, both oem (Kona Stura, Novarra Buzz, the new Volagi Liscio, etc.etc.etc.) and aftermarket. They are most definitely not unproven.

And who said anything about a race bike? The OP flatly said "no racing" in his post.

And for that matter, who said anything about braking power? I mentioned the wet and muddy weather we have here in the PNW. Disc brakes mean saving my expensive wheels from excessive brake wear. Replacing a 6-bolt rotor that's worn can be done in 10 minutes and under $20. Rebuilding an expensive wheel that's been damaged by debris can be exponentially more $$$. As far as power is concerned, I can tell you from lots of experience that a wet disc brake will generally out-perform a wet rim brake. You also don't have to worry about using a long-reach caliper brake if you want to have fatter tires. There are plenty of advantages in favor of discs.

But that is getting off-topic. There's a myriad of posts on this subject on this very forum both for and against disc brakes. My post merely pointed out that disc brakes on a custom bike are one possible option to consider, and that the myths about them being more trouble or maintenance than regular rim brakes are completely unfounded. If you live in a climate that forces you to ride in less-than-ideal conditions, it's not just a viable option - I'd call it more of a necessity. It would definitely be on my parts list for a custom ride. The OP didn't mention his geographic locality, so I don't know if discs are a must-have or not for him.
    Cervelo Soloist Carbon / Look 585 / Look 555 / Redline Conquest Pro / Kona Kapu / Santa Cruz Blur / Torker U-District / Custom fixie

http://www.BloggersInc.com/CycloPath/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012

Thumbs up My custom machine (in the works)

Here is the rig I'm currently having put together:

FRAME: Wilier Gran Turismo with selected components from Ultegra 6770 Di2 package Dark Large
    Fork: Wilier Monocoque Carbon Fiber Fork
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Dura-Ace BB-7900 Bottom Bracket OEM 68 English
    Brake Calipers: Shimano Ultegra BR-6700-G Brake Calipers
    Cassettes: Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 Cassette 11/28
    Chains: Shimano Ultegra CN-6701 Chain - OEM
    Cranks: Shimano Ultegra FC-6700-G Crankset 175mm 34/50
    Front Derailleurs: Shimano Ultegra Di2 FD-6770 Front Derailleur Braze-On
    Handlebar Tape: Lizard Skins DSP 2.5 Handlebar Tape Black
    Handlebars: Zipp Contour SL Carbon Handlebar 42cm
    Headset: Ritchey Integrated Headset
    Integrated Shift/Brake Levers: Shimano Ultegra Di2 ST-6770 STI Levers
    Rear Derailleurs: Shimano Ultegra Di2 RD-6770 Rear Derailleur
    Saddles: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow Saddle Black
    Seatpost: Easton EA70 Seatpost 350mm 31.6mm
    Stems: 3T ARX Team Stem 84° 110mm
    Tires: Michelin PRO 4 Service Course Tire 700x23 Black
    Tubes: Q-Tubes 700c x 18-23mm 48mm PV Tube
    Wheels: HED Ardennes SL Clincher Wheelset Shimano
    Cables Upgrade: Shimano Ultegra Di2 Complete Wire/Power Kit Medium External

I'm shooting for century comfort while keeping it light and stiff enough to be able to climb in the Colorado Rockies on a regular basis. This should be ready for me in late July when I get back from my current middle east deployment. The ultimate post deployment gift (to myself); I can't wait to get back!
    Sgt_Lobo -- Jim
    2012 Willier Gran Turismo (being built)
    2010 Trek 2.3
    1997 Rocky Mtn Element Race

Cat 6
    If you live in a climate that forces you to ride in less-than-ideal conditions, it's not just a viable option - I'd call it more of a necessity. It would definitely be on my parts list for a custom ride. The OP didn't mention his geographic locality, so I don't know if discs are a must-have or not for him.[/QUOTE]

Very good points. That's an answer I don't even know, I move around a lot for work. I'm from Minnesota, but I'm living in Hawaii right now. But definitely something to think about and consider.
    Madone 5.2
    Madone 6.9 SSL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12