Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

It Hurts!

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Rusted Angel 
#1 ·
I took a spill today thanks to oncoming bikers that occupied the whole width of the trail.

I was riding and a big group of bikers was coming and the first guys let me enough room but others did not see me and I went of the cement trail onto the grass and when I went back to the cement an IDIOT appeared just on front of me, my reaction wast to hit the breaks but I think I squeezed the front brake a little harder and I flew out on the air,I felt how my helmet hit the cement and then I rolled over on my left shoulder.

Everything hurts but the baddest is the shoulder, neck and leg, I guess I have to replace now my brand new helmet, it was the first time I used it.

#4 ·
Did they stop after they ran you off the trail and crashed you?

#6 ·
Glad to hear you're relatively all right. About the guys that ran you off...what a bunch of inconsiderate morons! You don't suppose they were blind, do you? If they didn't at LEAST stop & apologize &/or offer assistance all of them are a black eye on the cycling community.

Too bad about your helmet, but that's what they're for. If I knew I was going to use my helmet, I would not leave the house that day.

#10 ·
Tell me about it, I have a similar experience with one trail user. Anyhow, the old lady was riding her trike (has bigger wheels than that image )that was leg and hand power ( doesn't have any pedals ) covering the almost entire trail since her's was big. I saw her from a far and saw that she was looking at me to, but upon riding closer(8ft.) I realized she wasn't looking at me, she was looking down at her front wheels:mad2::yikes: . I yelled "WATCH :yikes: UT!!!!!" and was able to swerve to the grass and nearly, nearly avoided her:frown2: . Thank God I was just cruising at low speed since I was tired.

#11 ·
Phew, be careful.

I find the kind-of serious cyclists on the MUP to be the most dangerous. The drunks on bikes are weaving so slowly I can dodge my way past them. The beginners on bikes are moving so slowly I can also navigate them.

The people who scare me (and anger me) are those who are kind of with it, maybe clipless mtn pedals and an entry level bike, because they can move a bit faster...but most of them have yet to develop the skills to handle their bikes properly at speed. Plus, many of them don't seem to realize that a head-to-head bike crash, at even 10 mph wouldn't be that fun for pedaleur or machine.

#12 ·
nayr497 said:
Phew, be careful.

I find the kind-of serious cyclists on the MUP to be the most dangerous. The drunks on bikes are weaving so slowly I can dodge my way past them. The beginners on bikes are moving so slowly I can also navigate them.

The people who scare me (and anger me) are those who are kind of with it, maybe clipless mtn pedals and an entry level bike, because they can move a bit faster...but most of them have yet to develop the skills to handle their bikes properly at speed. Plus, many of them don't seem to realize that a head-to-head bike crash, at even 10 mph wouldn't be that fun for pedaleur or machine.

What stands for MUP?

#14 ·
Rusted Angel said:
What stands for MUP?
MUP/MUT - Multi-Use path/trail

#15 ·
I kinda know how you feel. A woman, texting while she was riding of all things, ran straight into my wife which glanced off her and went off into the trees. Wrecked her good for about three weeks. The other person stopped but what are you going to do besides rip them a new one. MUTs (multi use trails) can be as dangerous as busy roads at times.

#16 ·
Ridgetop said:
I kinda know how you feel. A woman, texting while she was riding of all things, ran straight into my wife which glanced off her and went off into the trees. Wrecked her good for about three weeks. The other person stopped but what are you going to do besides rip them a new one. MUTs (multi use trails) can be as dangerous as busy roads at times.
I rode the trail from Cedar Creek to Jones Beach on July 4th. Pretty scary. Cyclists of all stripes are pretty clueless. I had to ride about 20 miles on the road from Western Suffolk to get to the head of the trail and then it's about 4.5 to Jones Beach.

I was very happy to get back on the roads. That's saying something.

#17 ·
I like the MUT's when they are empty when crowded they are worse than the road. Just this month I had a young boy turn right in front of me (head on) I locked up my brakes and slid sideways for a second.. stay calm I was doing under 10 (the speed limit on our MUT) but he literally turned 5 feet in front of me.. he was with his parents who did nothing but laugh...

And last week I was shortcutting home on the MUT and road over the leash of a dog you know the one the dog is on the "leash" but it is a 20 foot leash so when it ran in front of me I road over the leash... owner acted like I killed the dog...

C

#18 ·
Ridgetop said:
My wife was riding behind me and had a close encounter with a kid.

It really sucks that people use their cells while riding or worse, texting!

#20 ·
MT Road said:
I like the MUT's when they are empty when crowded they are worse than the road. Just this month I had a young boy turn right in front of me (head on) I locked up my brakes and slid sideways for a second.. stay calm I was doing under 10 (the speed limit on our MUT) but he literally turned 5 feet in front of me.. he was with his parents who did nothing but laugh...

And last week I was shortcutting home on the MUT and road over the leash of a dog you know the one the dog is on the "leash" but it is a 20 foot leash so when it ran in front of me I road over the leash... owner acted like I killed the dog...

C
I like riding the trails very early in the morning when everybody is at work and the trail has very few users. Good thing I work 3rd shift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.