Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Hurts to...

856 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  DeanoG 
#1 ·
...Pee. I took my first ride of the year the other day. I didn't "go" until later that night, and it almost brought me to my knees!! It was like having a bladder infection, and if you've had one (and you're male), you know what I mean. It was like moving broken glass if you know what I'm talking about. I only went 25 miles, nothing was changed on my bike from last year (I had no significant problems then), and I can pretty much rule out any of the other culprits - STD's, bladder infection, saddle change, etc. I feel a little better today - day 2, and I'd like to ride today, but I'm a little tentative about that right now as I don't want to aggravate the situation.

Does anyone else go through this each year early on, or am I alone? Like I said, the equipment I'm on is the same from last year, so no real changes there, and while I weigh about 5 pounds more than last year, that will come off soon enough. Any thoughts, tips, etc.?

#2 ·
Umm. Yeah...

axebiker said:
...Pee. I took my first ride of the year the other day. I didn't "go" until later that night, and it almost brought me to my knees!! It was like having a bladder infection, and if you've had one (and you're male), you know what I mean. It was like moving broken glass if you know what I'm talking about. I only went 25 miles, nothing was changed on my bike from last year (I had no significant problems then), and I can pretty much rule out any of the other culprits - STD's, bladder infection, saddle change, etc. I feel a little better today - day 2, and I'd like to ride today, but I'm a little tentative about that right now as I don't want to aggravate the situation.

Does anyone else go through this each year early on, or am I alone? Like I said, the equipment I'm on is the same from last year, so no real changes there, and while I weigh about 5 pounds more than last year, that will come off soon enough. Any thoughts, tips, etc.?
There is this thing called a doctor, you might want to go and see him/her immediately if not sooner. Riding has nothing to do with your condition I would think. This has never happened to me, or any of the other people I know who ride. GO TO THE DOCTOR. NOW.

#3 ·
Well, I was just in last week, and am on a broad spectrum antibiotic (for bronchitis), so infection is not an issue right now. I'm certainly not going in on Wednesday when it was only Monday night that it started. It's not brutally painful the way it was Monday night, but it is noticeable.

I'm thinking it could be bruising from a fairly brutal ride -- Minnesota roads in the spring are no picnic. I'm going to let it go a couple more days. It's better now than the other night (it only hurts a little when I'm just getting started), and the fact that it happened immediately following a bike ride kinda leads me to believe that the ride is the culprit.

I'm not asking for medical advice here - I know better. I'm just wondering if anyone else ever has this issue early in the season before they've built up their "sit bone tolerance" for the year.

Thanks for the thought, though.

#4 ·
Not fun at all

I had something similar last Summer. Gave the doc a call and he told me to wait a couple of days and to stay out of the saddle. Turned out it was trauma induced in his opinion. The problem and small lumps that were associated with it went away as the doc had thought they might. I looked at my exercise log and I had indeed stepped up my riding that week and had also bought a new pair of shorts recently. I think a contributing factor to increased saddle time was also a pair of shorts that were a bit too snug. I stayed out of those shorts and increased my rides again and all has been well since.

If it were me again I would wait a day or two with some time off the saddle, but it is definitely some good advice to give the doc a call because a doctor I am not.

#5 ·
Yeah, unfortunately I have that typical male "medical aversion disorder" - unless it's bleeding, I won't see anyone. I had some occasional problems last year, but very minor by comparison to what I experienced Monday. I'll give it a few days. I still need more recovery time from having the flu last week anyway, or I'll end up re-lapsing. Considering how tender the rest of the "sit area" is right now, I'm almost 100% sure that's the issue. I'll have to doublecheck my seat angle just to make sure I'm not riding nose-high though.

Thanks again for the responses.

#6 ·
axebiker said:
Well, I was just in last week, and am on a broad spectrum antibiotic (for bronchitis), so infection is not an issue right now. I'm certainly not going in on Wednesday when it was only Monday night that it started. It's not brutally painful the way it was Monday night, but it is noticeable.

I'm thinking it could be bruising from a fairly brutal ride -- Minnesota roads in the spring are no picnic. I'm going to let it go a couple more days. It's better now than the other night (it only hurts a little when I'm just getting started), and the fact that it happened immediately following a bike ride kinda leads me to believe that the ride is the culprit.

I'm not asking for medical advice here - I know better. I'm just wondering if anyone else ever has this issue early in the season before they've built up their "sit bone tolerance" for the year.

Thanks for the thought, though.
A broad spectrum antibiotic for bronchitis will most likely NOT give the same coverage for common urinary and renal organisms. Where at in Minnesota, I live in Rochester.

#7 ·
physasst said:
A broad spectrum antibiotic for bronchitis will most likely NOT give the same coverage for common urinary and renal organisms. Where at in Minnesota, I live in Rochester.
Not even Zithromax? That's the only thing I take anymore, and I'm pretty sure it's better than Amoxi...that stuff just makes me sick. With that said, I know with *almost* 100% surety that it's not infection related. I know what a UTI is like and they don't go away on their own (only had one once, but thought I was going to DIE!!). That and I've been drinking SOOO much water/juice/etc., lately that my system is exceptionally clean...

Anyway, I live in Saint Paul. I generally ride along the river from the east side to the west side and back to STP again. At least that's my "every night I'm not on a group ride" ride. Weekend rides are all over the place!

#8 ·
axebiker said:
Not even Zithromax? That's the only thing I take anymore, and I'm pretty sure it's better than Amoxi...that stuff just makes me sick. With that said, I know with *almost* 100% surety that it's not infection related. I know what a UTI is like and they don't go away on their own (only had one once, but thought I was going to DIE!!). That and I've been drinking SOOO much water/juice/etc., lately that my system is exceptionally clean...

Anyway, I live in Saint Paul. I generally ride along the river from the east side to the west side and back to STP again. At least that's my "every night I'm not on a group ride" ride. Weekend rides are all over the place!

Especially zithromax....it has VERY poor gram negative coverage and is actually not a great antibiotic. We are noticing an emerging resistance pattern, especially with Strep Pneumoniae where resistance has been documented as high as 30%. It has been grossly overprescribed and people liked it because of it's ease of dosing and reduced GI side effects. It will not treat a urinary tract condition at all.

#9 ·
The key is to tuck the Happy Homewrecker out of the way. DO NOT tuck it underneath and sit on it. You might consider taping John Thomas to your belly, with a very sticky, sweat resistant duct tape. Racer's tape is good. It's a real 200mph tape, so you don't have to worry about Mr. Happy coming loose.

#11 ·
physasst said:
Especially zithromax....it has VERY poor gram negative coverage and is actually not a great antibiotic. We are noticing an emerging resistance pattern, especially with Strep Pneumoniae where resistance has been documented as high as 30%. It has been grossly overprescribed and people liked it because of it's ease of dosing and reduced GI side effects. It will not treat a urinary tract condition at all.
Interesting! Thanks for the tip. Amoxicillin gives me distinct issues...I'd rather eat glass than take that. Well, anyway, I'm still pretty sure it's not an infection problem - just inflammation from the beating I took on that ride. With that said, if all is not well after this weekend, I'll visit my local "snake charmer" and see if they can help me out. I'll be willing to bet that after I'm better, I'll go for a ride and get the same issue again. Maybe it's time to retire the Fizik Pave for something with a bit more padding.

#12 ·
alienator said:
The key is to tuck the Happy Homewrecker out of the way. DO NOT tuck it underneath and sit on it. You might consider taping John Thomas to your belly, with a very sticky, sweat resistant duct tape. Racer's tape is good. It's a real 200mph tape, so you don't have to worry about Mr. Happy coming loose.

Uhhh...thanks? I think I'll just stick to coiling it up!!!

Seriously - sitting on it? Tucking it underneath? I can't say I've had that issue. Oh - and I only shave my legs, so high-speed tape is out! HAHA!!

#13 ·
The Carlster said:
you likely do not need a Dr. For my 1st MTB ride each spring it's that way w/ me (I usually ride for 3+ hrs). If you're not better in 24 hrs, then seek medical attention - but what you've described is not uncommon for 1st long rides of the year.
Cool - I'm glad it's NOT just me, but sorry for your suffering as well. I feel better, but I can still feel slight discomfort. Not bad though.

#14 ·
I can sympathise. Did a century race, was underprepared and spent the last 1/2 of it slumped forwards, poor form and dragging my sorry ass to the line.

Trying to take a leak resulted in brutal pain for the next 8-12 hrs, but fine the next morning and thereafter. I put it down to local bruising/trauma.

When I maintain good form on the bike and sit correctly, no pain. Slumping and rolling fwd's at hips brings the hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.