///M Racer.

HWY 101 in Encenitas, good for cyclists

Not all politicians are against cyclists! My friend Peder Norby is the Encenitas HWY 101 coordinator and last week the city did some good for cycling. San Diego County Bicycle Coalition: Coast Highway 101 Update
    Being from NJ where real estate space is at a premium as well as road space being tight, not to mention politicians looking to do away with our road space, I wish we could have this kind of lane sharing!

Anyone from the left coast know this stretch? Thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I live a few miles from there. There are sections that there is plenty of room but there are also sections were there is not and it is common for cyclists to get hit by someone parked on the side opening their door. This road is heavily used by cyclists especially on weekends. I know some cyclists have actually been cited by local police for riding too far into the lane. I think it is a good idea but I fear it might actually escalate incidents between cyclists and drivers who will continue to insist they own the road regardless of the signs. At least the law will now be on our side. Even though I live nearby I prefer not to ride on a flat coastal road that is crowded with drivers, cyclists and traffic lights. I usually head inland into the backcountry to find hills, scenery and little traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by M5Manny View Post
    Not all politicians are against cyclists! My friend Peder Norby is the Encenitas HWY 101 coordinator and last week the city did some good for cycling. San Diego County Bicycle Coalition: Coast Highway 101 Update
    Being from NJ where real estate space is at a premium as well as road space being tight, not to mention politicians looking to do away with our road space, I wish we could have this kind of lane sharing!

Anyone from the left coast know this stretch? Thoughts?

///M Racer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnbrown View Post
    I usually head inland into the backcountry to find hills, scenery and little traffic.
    Same here! NJ it's tough to do but i managed to settle in one of the most scenic less congested areas of the state, Somerset county near hunterdon county border. Lovely cycling out here. But my fellow Jersians closer to NYC have a hell of time cycling congestion free unless they escape the throws of the big city.. Some nightmare stories I hear!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Big changes In Solana Beach will be a welcomed improvement too.
    Last edited by Monk; 03-05-2013 at 06:21 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    When I lived in So Cal used to ride the 101 from Ventura to Santa Barbara but there the shoulder is so wide it's perfectly safe, even with high-speed traffic. I also used to ride the PCH from Oxnard to Pt Mugu, which wasn't legal but again perfectly safe.

scott s.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by M5Manny View Post
    I'm also from NJ (Hunterdon). I'm familiar with Highway 101, having traveled it a few times when visiting my brother in SD. I was amazed at the number of cyclists I saw on that road, and down thru Torey Pines. To me, it's a very unappealing stretch of road. Too much traffic (regardless of any dedicated bike lane), it's basically straight (i.e. boring), and no shade or shelter from the wind. The local side roads didn't seem all that appealing either. Granted, the weather is great and the ocean views are nice, but not my idea of cycling heaven.

In contrast, here in northwestern NJ (and I'm sure in other states) there is an extensive network of low-traffic country roads, that offer a little bit of everything - hills, flats, dirt, woodlands, farmlands, etc. There's no need for bike lanes on the busiest highways because there is no need to ride on those roads.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

///M Racer.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I'm also from NJ (Hunterdon)....

In contrast, here in northwestern NJ (and I'm sure in other states) there is an extensive network of low-traffic country roads, that offer a little bit of everything - hills, flats, dirt, woodlands, farmlands, etc. There's no need for bike lanes on the busiest highways because there is no need to ride on those roads.
    I know exactly what you're talking about! I love it out where we live. Oldwick, Lamington, Peapack, White House, Far Hills just to name a few... We're both fortunate!