Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

hydrogen peroxide for smelly shoes?

I got a good deal on a pair of Sidi Dominators. Tried them on but didn't do a smell test till I got home and they failed (they smelled like dogs and feet). I've washed them with laundry detergent and put baking powder inside them but they still smell somewhat. I'm thinking of soaking them with hydrogen peroxide as an alternative to bleach. Has anyone ever tried this? Would this harm the shoes? Thanks for any input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    try stuffing dry (has to be dry) tea bags (used if you want to save money). It works for me.

Oh hai there
    If you know anyone with an ozone generator it will totally kill whatever was living in there and causing the subsequent smell, old tea bags like mentioned above or crumpled newspaper will also work. I would not use peroxide, a solution of borax and water might help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not baking powder -- baking soda.

al0
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Hot air from hairdryer may help

Weed
    I've used carpet deodorizer on my shoes before. It worked quite well. I just put a small amount of the concentrate in a spray bottle and mixed it with water.

Rollin' Stones
    Kitty litter works pretty good, unless you have a cat. Then that's a whole 'nother issue. I have used fabric softner sheets too.
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Get a new smell

Quote Originally Posted by pdxtim
    I got a good deal on a pair of Sidi Dominators. Tried them on but didn't do a smell test till I got home and they failed (they smelled like dogs and feet). I've washed them with laundry detergent and put baking powder inside them but they still smell somewhat. I'm thinking of soaking them with hydrogen peroxide as an alternative to bleach. Has anyone ever tried this? Would this harm the shoes? Thanks for any input.
    How about a "smell exchange"? If you ride them for a while, I guarantee they will smell like your feet, rather than what they smell like now. After you get the new smell installed, then you can use whatever method you currently use to remove the smell of your feet from your shoes. Personally, I just run them through the washing machine (cold water & detergent).

RoadBikeReview Member
    H2O2 is a very potent oxidizer/bleach, I wouldn't use it on something you plan on keeping for any length of time particularly shoes or clothing. It's also not a good thing for wounds.... causes tissue damage

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by prschatt
    H2O2 is a very potent oxidizer/bleach, I wouldn't use it on something you plan on keeping for any length of time particularly shoes or clothing. It's also not a good thing for wounds.... causes tissue damage
    I agree, especially about the "soaking them in H2O2. It's strong stuff. I use it for sterilizing my sax mouthpieces. I might put a little on a paper towel & wipe the inside, but I certainly wouldn't soak'em.
    Don't believe everything you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Mythbusters used Vodka to wash the stink off Adam's feet. In fact, they've used Vodka to get oders out of other things to.
    This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. (1 Timothy 1:15)

You can't spell Christmas, without Christ...

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Why do new shoes smell like dog and feet?? freaking return them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

sorry, they were used

Forgot to mention in the initial posting that they were used, not new. In good shape other than the smell, and cost $50.

Regarding H2O2, I've seen a dilute bleach solution recommended for smell, and figured H2O2 would be a safer alternative. I've seen it recommended, diluted, as a mouth wash, for instance.

Do Over
    Mar 2008
    H2O2 is right on the money. Myth Busters got skunk odor out of their bathroom with it. It's the prime ingredient in Simple Solution (Oxy-Solution Version) Pet Odor and Stain Remover. Available at Petsmart. Takes yellow dog barf bile out of the carpet and such - - no residual odor. And... it doesn't take the color out. It's safe, biodegradable and takes blood out of scrubs!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

are you sure it's a strong bleach?

Quote Originally Posted by prschatt
    I know it's a strong oxidizer and damages injured tissue, but I didn't think it was a strong bleach. In fact I thought it could be used in place of bleach in some cases but is much safer. I could be wrong though, as I'm no chemist.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bars of soap or fabric softener works well too .... I wouldn't put harsh chemicals in something that my feet would be rubbing against and sweating in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

I don't think H2O2 is harsh though

I ain't a chemist, but if I remember correctly from Chem 101 H2O2 turns into water after it's exposed to air and oxidizes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    An ozone generator works great at eliminating odor. They are not the easist thing to find. They are commonly used in hospitals, commercial kitchens and wineries. The only concern is that ozonated water will degrade rubber and some plastics after repeated use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

would H2O2 just once be OK?

I'm thinkng of spraying inside of shoes with H2O2 once, or at most dipping them in the stuff just once in order to clean. Would that likely damage the shoes? Thanks.

al0
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Depends on its concentration.
    I'm thinkng of spraying inside of shoes with H2O2 once, or at most dipping them in the stuff just once in order to clean. Would that likely damage the shoes? Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member

rubbing alcohol

we routinely use a 70 percent ethanol solution to wipe down lab counters before doing sterile work. i would give that a try before hydrogen peroxide, which would seem to be more damaging to fabric and threading. rubbing alochol staight, or diluted with water, in a spray bottle might do the trick in shoes to kill the microbes.

Do Over
    Mar 2008
    Get the premixed stuff from the pet store (see previous post). Read the label and dunk them already. I would not use the stuff on my carpets if it would destroy them. Trust me on this...if it can handle dog vomit and urine, it will work on your shoes. They weren't meant to last forever anyway. Now, salty sea water....that would destroy them.

al0
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Ethanol does not fight shoe smells so good.

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005
    In the past, whenever I've had tennies become rank with foot odor, I've used either rubbing alcohol (try to get the 99% or 97% variety, the 70% variety contains an oil to make your hands glide over the skin better and leaves a residue) or denatured alcohol in a spray bottle. One or two spurts inside each shoe and allowed to dry should do it. If it's really bad then three or four spurts. If I get athlete's foot I do this trick with my feet, too. Gives new meaning to 'cold feet'.

al0
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Have tried 99% alcohol as well spray of denaturated alcohol several times w/o any noticable success. Using it on the foot is another matter entirely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast