Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

I Am Jack's Complete Lack of Surprise

901 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Kerry Irons 
#1 ·
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20170707/upper-west-side/pedestrian-death-cyclist-vision-zero-data

"NEW YORK CITY — Vision Zero safety measures appear to have had no benefit for cyclists, who have been killed more frequently since 2013, a year before the initiative began, data shows.

Mayor Bill de Blasio's traffic safety law, passed in 2014, has mostly saved pedestrian lives, the data shows, cutting the number of deaths in that group nearly in half, from 83 in the first six months of 2013 to 48 in the same period this year.

However, cyclists are dying more and more on the road since 2013, which ended with only 12 deaths, data shows."

#5 ·
I agree. Yearly numbers of 12, 20, 18 and 14 are almost random noise - they hardly evidence a dramatic trend.

#4 ·
DeBlasio just proved he is a cold and calculated politician. His move to hit Germany for the G20 shows just how important his base is to him. As a human, just not right; politically, it was a good move. Guliani and Bloomberg were both much more endeared to NYC. DeBlasio is all in it for greater pursuits. I personally despise him as a New Yorker and don't wish him upon anyone else in my country. But credit is due for the wise political move. Memories tend to be short. Support of your base goals goes a long way.

Elitist dont care about cyclist.

#6 ·
Apparently none of the posters in this tread have any concept of statistics.

What would you say if the number of cyclists quadrupled and the number of deaths doubled? Wouldn't that say that cycling was actually getting much safer?

Let me be clear: I'm not saying this is what happened. I'm just saying that without knowing the change in ridership, any such numbers are beyond meaningless. Beyond that, looking at numbers this small it is clear that random variations can be far larger than any trends visible over 3 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.