Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6

    I got pulled over...

    on my bike. I am still relatively new to cycling so maybe this happens more than I think. A sherrif pulled up beside me and pulled me over for pulling onto a busy road without a green light. I won't bore you with details but he was absolutely right. I should have waited for the light but I was tired, clipped in and no traffic either way. Apparently the officer was right behind me! He told me, "that is $124 wether you are in a car on a bike, $124!". He said he was a cyclist and he new better and he could tell by looking at me that I knew better. I told him that he was right, a key point, and thanked him for setting me straight.

  2. #2
    Shirtcocker
    Reputation: Bocephus Jones II's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    60,631
    Quote Originally Posted by hozoultimate
    on my bike. I am still relatively new to cycling so maybe this happens more than I think. A sherrif pulled up beside me and pulled me over for pulling onto a busy road without a green light. I won't bore you with details but he was absolutely right. I should have waited for the light but I was tired, clipped in and no traffic either way. Apparently the officer was right behind me! He told me, "that is $124 wether you are in a car on a bike, $124!". He said he was a cyclist and he new better and he could tell by looking at me that I knew better. I told him that he was right, a key point, and thanked him for setting me straight.
    So did he write you a ticket or not?
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6

    No...

    I was very polite, admitted guilt and thanked him. He did look just like "Garcia" from Reno 911.

  4. #4
    tin man | maine.usa
    Reputation: pl8ster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    359
    Good thing he was a cyclist and not an anti-cyclist, or you'd be out $124. And that's not a holier-than-thou response, because I've definitely done the same thing countless times when there's no traffic. Glad it worked out.
    The other hobby: pl8ster.net
    --------------
    The bikes: 1996 Klein Pulse Comp MTB
    Fuji road frame w/random parts 2005 Airborne Thunderbolt

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Wookiebiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,358
    Quote Originally Posted by hozoultimate
    I was very polite, admitted guilt and thanked him. He did look just like "Garcia" from Reno 911.
    Well, a moving violation is a moving violation regardless of whether you are on a bicycle, moped, motorcycle or car. You got off with a warning, which he probably would have done with somebody in a car in that same situation anyway.

    BTW...Did you catch the season ending Reno 911 last night? Garcia, ran off with Danglers "life partner" in the end....LOL....That show cracks me up.
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,489

    Clarification?

    Quote Originally Posted by hozoultimate
    pulled me over for pulling onto a busy road without a green light..
    Did you make a right turn on a red light, or actually cross both lanes (staight or left turn). Did you come to a stop before pulling ahead, or just keep rolling? In any event, I hope you've learned an important lesson -- look all ways, including behind you, before making a questionable move. We all (well, most of us) occasionally run red lights on our bikes, but I try not to do it if anyone is in sight.

  7. #7
    Back from the dead
    Reputation: mohair_chair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    20,626
    You say it was a busy road, but there was no traffic either way?

  8. #8
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16,995
    That seems to be the best reason to use a bike mirror.
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

  9. #9
    Impulse Athletic Coaching
    Reputation: iliveonnitro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,575
    It's not illegal in most states to pass through a red light if there is no oncoming traffic, as the sensors will not detect a bike and thus will not change the light.

    I don't have anything to worry about, though, since my father is a cop

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: coinstar2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    426
    I have gotten two tickets on my bike in the last year. 1st, I got a new bike and by the time I got it together it was dark. I couldn't stand waiting until the next day to test it out, so I rode it around the block. $75 ticket for no light.

    Just last week, I got a new bike and did the same thing. Same cop gave me another $75 ticket. He must know the timing of my bike purchases. The silly thing is the block that I ride around is in a brand new undeveloped neighborhood, so there is no chance of any traffic. Sometimes cops can be jerks, so it is a good idea to follow all of the rules.

    Brian
    TheRoadBike.com

  11. #11
    Cannot bench own weight
    Reputation: Einstruzende's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    4,254
    Never been pulled over, never known anyone personally that has been pulled over. However I've seen a bunch of threads on this forum about it though.

    For myself, I generally follow the rules, short of a few specific cases (red lights that I can't trip for instance, or stop signs in the middle of no where with 100% view of the roads feeding into the intersection)
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

  12. #12
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16,995
    A few years ago, I emailed the City complaining about the sensors not detecting bikes. I got an answer confirming that they were not set-up to detect bikes. I kept the email in case I am ever ticketed for going through one. I figure that it would get me off in court. I haven't been ticketed, so I don't know if the email would work or not.
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Terrapin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    482
    I thought I was going to get pulled over yesterday. On my route there's a red light at the bottom of the hill (so there's an uphill where the light is). I usually avoid this by swerving into the sidewalk/parking lot, and then back into the road.

    I looked up and I was 8 meters from a police cruiser parked there looking for redlight scofflaws. He gave me a look like "don't do it again". And I continued riding.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6
    Good call on the mirror, I think the cop was most annoyed that I did it right in front of him. I try and stay aware of what is behind, ecspecially when I move over. I had to get in the left turn lane and he must have just come into view as I stood up and entered the intersection.

  15. #15
    n00bsauce
    Reputation: Mel Erickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,507
    Good luck with that defense if your state hasn't adopted a law similar to the one adopted in Wisconsin last year. Here's an excerpt from Wisconsin law;

    "Notwithstanding subd. 1., a motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle facing a red signal at an intersection may, after stopping as required under subd. 1. for not less than 45 seconds, proceed cautiously through the intersection before the signal turns green if no other vehicles are present at the intersection to actuate the signal and the operator of the motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle reasonably believes the signal is vehicle actuated."

    Some states, but not all, have similar law. I like the part about "...if the operator believes..." You don't have to actually know if the signal is controlled by a magnetic loop or camera to procedd through a red light legally.

    Brandishing that email in court may actually get you found guilty faster. It shows you knew that proceeding through the intersection was illegal. You can't plead ignorance, even though that's not a defense either.

  16. #16
    jaded bitter joy crusher
    Reputation: Fredke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    19,723
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    It's not illegal in most states to pass through a red light if there is no oncoming traffic, as the sensors will not detect a bike and thus will not change the light.
    Most states I know make you stop first. You can't just roll through.

    In Tennessee you must "come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by lay, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so." Even so, you can get a ticket if you thought the traffic light used a sensor and in fact it did not. ( "It is not a defense to a violation [that the cyclist] proceeded under the belief that a traffic-control signal utilized a vehicle detection device ... when such signal did not utilize a vehicle detection device.")
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

  17. #17
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,077
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker
    That seems to be the best reason to use a bike mirror.
    Or to turn your head around.

    I was pulled over once on a sole ride in BFE for running a red light with no traffic only to get lectured by an obese officer about the problems that group rides cause. I charmed my way out of a ticket at least.

    My goal is to be ticketed for speeding on a flat road through town outside a school zone.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  18. #18
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker
    a moving violation is a moving violation . . .
    . . . only if you get caught.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

  19. #19
    Michigoose
    Reputation: MellowDramatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    821
    Like someone said earlier, good thing it was a cycling-friendly officer. Sounded more like he wanted to get you to set a good example than anything else, and at least you took it well and have a good attitude about it.

    Oh, and if you practice enough you'll learn how to trackstand, so having to unclip is never an issue anyway

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JCavilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    14,489

    Can't agree there

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker
    That seems to be the best reason to use a bike mirror.
    It's by no means the best reason to use a mirror -- but it's yet another good one.

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: logansites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    My goal is to be ticketed for speeding on a flat road through town outside a school zone.
    I KNOW! If I were to ever see a cop up on a flat ahead like that I would be sorely tempted to try to get him to pull me over for speeding. Id hate to have to pay for it but Id love to tell the story.

  22. #22
    spongebartstatepants
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    97
    Yeah, Cops shouldn't be able to pull you over on a bike. Use sidewalks and paths to your advantage. You can shake 'em.

  23. #23
    Michigoose
    Reputation: MellowDramatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    821
    Quote Originally Posted by spongebartstatepants
    Yeah, Cops shouldn't be able to pull you over on a bike. Use sidewalks and paths to your advantage. You can shake 'em.
    Haha, Bart has experience out foxing the East Lansing police on a bike.

  24. #24
    You Phillip mah census
    Reputation: sir duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,672

    Tokyo cops are the best!

    I've never ridden a bicycle in the States but I think you people would love Japan. Here 'cyclists' ride anywhere they like, breaking the highway code with impunity. They ride two abreast against the flow of traffic, they run red lights, often at busy city junctions, they cross main roads from side streets without so much as a glance.They are by far the greatest danger to me anytime I get on my bike. In 8 years I've never seen a cop stop a person on a bicycle (to call them cyclists would be a severe misuse of the term) for any of these transgressions. But guess what, I get pulled over by a traffic patrol cop for riding on the road- he tells me to get on the pavement/sidewalk. There you have it. I ride in a country where the police actually encourage you to break the law. Admittedly this happened just the once but it shouldn't happen at all.
    There ain't no sanity clause... (Chico Marx)

    I accidentally..a burrito. (Old Fuji)

    Norman Wisdom, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee, good times... (Phil Oakey)

  25. #25
    Yo no fui.
    Reputation: Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8,077
    I think I could make a pretty good argument that the L.A.P.D. encourages people to break the law.
    "It is better to conquer yourself, than to win a thousand battles." -Dhammapada

    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

    "A true cyclist sometimes has to bite the dust before he can reach the stars. Laurent Fignon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •