Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    You need the phone to configure some functions of the head unit.

If you don't take a phone with you, the only functionality you lose is live notifications of phone calls and text messages, the "Live Tracking" feature. You also wouldn't be able to use the 'route me anywhere' feature, which requires the map on the phone to select your destination and map the route, which is then sent to the head unit.

It's absolutely not necessary to have your phone with you. of, if you take it with you, but prefer to leave it turned off, or just leave bluetooth turned off to save battery, the Elemnt/Bolt still performs fine, with the exceptions I noted above.

Edit to add: I'm pretty sure you *must* use a phone for the initial setup, so it's not an optional thing, but it's not necessary to take it on a ride.
    Last edited by Migen21; 04-29-2017 at 05:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank you for the info!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    You need the phone to configure some functions of the head unit.

If you don't take a phone with you, the only functionality you lose is live notifications of phone calls and text messages, the "Live Tracking" feature. You also wouldn't be able to use the 'route me anywhere' feature, which requires the map on the phone to select your destination and map the route, which is then sent to the head unit.

It's absolutely not necessary to have your phone with you. of, if you take it with you, but prefer to leave it turned off, or just leave bluetooth turned off to save battery, the Elemnt/Bolt still performs fine, with the exceptions I noted above.

Edit to add: I'm pretty sure you *must* use a phone for the initial setup, so it's not an optional thing, but it's not necessary to take it on a ride.
    This is confusing.

I think you mean you need the phone to do initial setup only, but do not need a functioning phone for basic device functions, only for calls, text and re-routing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Let me state more definitively then.

You definitely need the phone to do the initial setup of the device.

You definitely don't have to take the phone with you on rides. You will lose a few features (Live Track, Route Me Anywhere, and Phone/Text notifications), but everything else works fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    I had the RFLKT for a couple of months. The connection always (and I mean always) dropped. I lost a lot of rides with that. Was in contact with customer service (great by the way) - they where never able to fix the problem. I bought garmins unit (500 & 800). Never had a problem. I Will never buy from Wahoo again, it is unreliable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    The RELFKT was a piece of junk, and they admitted defeat with it and stopped making it.

The ELEMNT and BOLT do not suffer from similar problems. You don't have to take my word for it. Read any reviews you can find online. I don't think you'll find anyone saying much bad about them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Ive owned a garmin 500, currently a 820, varia radar, fenix 3 and a couple hand-held GPS units. Maybe I should also buy a lotto ticked as I have never lost a ride, nary a problem that the OP speaks of.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To add to the chorus, I am still using my Edge 705, which I bought pretty much when it came out roughly 10 years ago. Never a single hiccup, of any kind. Survived a hard crash without a scratch, rides in all sorts of weather including pouring rain. Even the battery life doesn't seem to have changed much, but then I never needed to test the limits (all of my rides have been less than 7 hours). The cadence sensor and heart rate strap it came with are just fine likewise.

Bottom line, Garmin makes perfectly competent hardware, but I am aware of the fact that their software can be iffy for some releases, exclusively from hearsay, though. It's quite possible that their newer units have more problems now, I just don't know.

Having said all of the above, I might be willing to take a look at the ELEMNT, despite the fact that I dislike their stupid naming style... I like the fairly big display, which seems to be well readable (it's monochrome though), which is a godsend for my aging eyes coupled with the fact that I'm too cheap to buy prescription cycling glasses, for now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got my Bolt the day they launched it. It was funny, I sat down to set it up - had a beer, the box, my laptop, my phone... expecting to be there a while... After 5 min, I was done. It was comically simple. The companion app is very cool.

I came from the Garmin line - a 500 and a 510. The 500 was fine - just more like a PalmPilot if the new ones are like smartphones. The 510 felt like a jump forward from the 500, but the touch screen was very finicky - worked, didn't work... and eventually was the reason it went in the trash.

I'm a big fan of the Wahoo stuff right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    I've been riding for a few years and now I'm looking to pick up my first computer. I've been leaning toward the BOLT but ill be honest, I've not looked much into the competition. I have a HR monitor from ELEMNT so I naturally looked into their line of products. Looking forward to accessing my data in the fly vice post ride.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Bottom line, Garmin makes perfectly competent hardware, but I am aware of the fact that their software can be iffy for some releases, exclusively from hearsay, though. It's quite possible that their newer units have more problems now, I just don't know.
    Their 510/810s were not competent in the least. And probably why they didn't use touch screens in the 520/820.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    Their 510/810s were not competent in the least. And probably why they didn't use touch screens in the 520/820.
    The 820 uses a touch screen. The early OS had TS issues with water droplets causing the screen to swap around. Since fixed supposedly.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/543199

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    It's easy to join the hate parade for anything, but consider that Garmin likely sells 1000x more of their units than Wahoo. I'd be curious on the per capita failure/incident rate comparing the two?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I'm happy with my 810. But competition is a wonderful thing. It just means prices come down and units from all manufacturers get better. Always been a little surprised that Google doesn't get in the game.

Would not surprise me if some but no all of these posts are plants. Can only help Wahoo if hey can convince other there's mas discontent out there. Seen it with restaurant and product reviews where the business likes or fakes positive reviews.
    Last edited by Trek_5200; 05-01-2017 at 02:17 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    Would no surprise me if some but no all of these posts are plants.
    Would no surprise me if you're wearing a tinfoil hat.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    I'm happy with my 810. But competition is a wonderful thing. It just means prices come down and units from all manufacturers get better. Always been a little surprised that Google doesn't get in the game.

Would no surprise me if some but no all of these posts are plants. Can only help Wahoo if hey can convince other there's mas discontent out there. Seen it with restaurant and product reviews where the business likes or fakes positive reviews.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

[gasp]

Read up on Edge Narcolepsy...or how about the Edge 1000 update that broke Garmin's own HRM straps...or...or...or....

Garmin has for a decade been producing crap software (running on decent if not good hardware) and expecting consumers to beta test it, and then maybe they'll fix it. This long predates Wahoo even existing as a blip on the map. As someone on their 3rd and hopefully last Garmin unit (E305, E705, E1K), I sincerely hope Garmin goes bust. They've earned it.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    Would no surprise me if you're wearing a tinfoil hat.
    Haha lmao.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just use a iphone, but my wife is loking for a superior more reliable products than her total PITA garbage Garmin 810. The thing crashes, locks up, and loses connection with her Garmin power pedals fairly frequently. Which is about exactly what I would expect from Garmin, having used various of their awful GPS units for hiking and boating.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

[gasp]

Read up on Edge Narcolepsy...or how about the Edge 1000 update that broke Garmin's own HRM straps...or...or...or....

Garmin has for a decade been producing crap software (running on decent if not good hardware) and expecting consumers to beta test it, and then maybe they'll fix it. This long predates Wahoo even existing as a blip on the map. As someone on their 3rd and hopefully last Garmin unit (E305, E705, E1K), I sincerely hope Garmin goes bust. They've earned it.
    There is absolutely zero chance of that happening. Consumer, and specifically sports devices are not even a blip in their earnings when compared to marine, vehicle and aircraft device earnings.

Yes they have a tendency to release buggy firmware, but that is not limited to Garmin anymore, that seems to be a trend of trying to beat the competitor to market, and not intentionally trying to use users as beta testers.

Side note, I have never had functional problems with my 810, and forerunners that my wife used (except for the one with the crappy touch bezel that went crazy). I have had build quality issues though in the forerunner 200 and 250 series (both had their screens off center inside the case... drove me nuts, and same problem in two different ranges too)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Did a Garmin update about 4 weeks ago, it will not longer sync with my computer base connect... keeps giving me an error message. Ugh... my last three rides have not been captured
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    There is absolutely zero chance of that happening. Consumer, and specifically sports devices are not even a blip in their earnings when compared to marine, vehicle and aircraft device earnings.

Yes they have a tendency to release buggy firmware, but that is not limited to Garmin anymore, that seems to be a trend of trying to beat the competitor to market, and not intentionally trying to use users as beta testers.

Side note, I have never had functional problems with my 810, and forerunners that my wife used (except for the one with the crappy touch bezel that went crazy). I have had build quality issues though in the forerunner 200 and 250 series (both had their screens off center inside the case... drove me nuts, and same problem in two different ranges too)

Thing is....for all the years Garmin has been doing this they had no GPS cycle-computer competitors at all. They've been doing this since the Edge 205 days. AKA a decade+.

They honestly don't seem to give a crap.

Wahoo had some teething problems....but they got their ducks in a row fast (their 3rd unit released retail). As opposed to Garmin who 12+ (IIRC) athletic GPS units released later, and they're only now starting to worry about decent firmware.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    Which is about exactly what I would expect from Garmin, having used various of their awful GPS units for hiking and boating.
    To be completely fair, on the boat/ocean, Garmin GPS-Chart Plotters are simply the best,, I have used others but Garmin on the water is the best of the best!!!

My Edge 1000 has some weird kinks like the power on when charging and the heart rate strap sucks but other than those two issues, its worked flawlessly. But I also admit that I do not connect my 1000 to the phone/strava/mapmyride/etc. (Apparently the root of most issues identified above)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hmm... My Garmin 500 does everything I got it to do, and never lost a ride. Maybe I don't expect enough out of it. The Wahoo looks nice, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Hmm... My Garmin 500 does everything I got it to do, and never lost a ride. Maybe I don't expect enough out of it. The Wahoo looks nice, though.
    After the first few years of bugs, my 500 worked really well too. But I kept reading about all the cool things the newer computers could do. I had no rational reason to upgrade. Once I got the Bolt, it made my 500 feel really (!) outdated.

Most of what I use the Bolt for, the 500 did just fine. But there are some cool things the newer computers do that just make life easier...

- On the ride to a ride last week, a text message from a club-mate popped up on the Bolt "Running 5 min. late".
    - My family knows I don't answer my phone when I'm riding. Now, they know they can get in touch with me by texting "CALL NOW" or "Emergency" - because the Bolt (and newer Garmins too... I think) will display the first line or so of a text or email. It also rings when a call come in. All of those alerts have on/off settings
    - At any point on or before a ride (lost? just want a route?) you can open the Wahoo app, enter an address or place name - and a route (bike friendly) will appear on the Bolt - turn-by-turn with alerts

It really was like moving from a PalmPilot to an iPhone
    (and no Trek_5200... I still don't work for Wahoo)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT View Post
    Did a Garmin update about 4 weeks ago, it will not longer sync with my computer base connect... keeps giving me an error message. Ugh... my last three rides have not been captured
    I updated an 810 to the latest OS, 6.1, a few weeks ago, no issues with the unit, syncs to Connect just fine.

Knocking, knocking...... with Garmin, it's like saying"haven't had a flat in years"....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast