Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    One small note to add to this thread: I think they have improved the battery life in recent firmware.

Rode the civil war century yesterday: ride time was 6:40, total time was 7:17, and when I finished the ride I had 59% battery remaining. This was with turn-by-turn on the entire time, but without any sensors attached.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    An annoying thing about the Bolt or maybe I'm missing something

I have my completed rides set to automatically upload to RWGPS. The Bolt/Elemnt will not do this unless it has a WiFi connection. It seems to not be able to send the ride data to the smartphone app then use cell data to upload. Must have WiFi, even says so in the manual. My vintage Garmin 810 can do this via the Garmin Mobile App.

Am I missing something ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    An annoying thing about the Bolt or maybe I'm missing something

I have my completed rides set to automatically upload to RWGPS. The Bolt/Elemnt will not do this unless it has a WiFi connection. It seems to not be able to send the ride data to the smartphone app then use cell data to upload. Must have WiFi, even says so in the manual. My vintage Garmin 810 can do this via the Garmin Mobile App.

Am I missing something ?
    Yes, it can do what you want it to do (upload to RWGPS without a wifi connection), but you are also correct that it doesn't quite do this as seamlessly as you would like.

If I finish a ride at a location with wifi that my Bolt knows, then the ride is uploaded without my having to do anything. It's truly seamless.

If I finish a ride at a remote location with no known wifi, then I often** have to do the following:

1. Complete ride (hit stop on Bolt/Elemnt) and ride is saved).
    2. Keep the Bolt turned on, and launch the companion app on your phone.
    3. Make sure the phone can "see" the bolt (this is not 100% reliable, so sometimes I have to quit and relaunch the app).
    4. Wait a bit, and it will sync the ride from the Bolt to the device (you can to go "results" and watch this happening).
    5. Wait a bit more, and it will process and and send the ride to the external sites you have turned on in settings. (Again, on the results tab of the app it will show this process at the top, and for a long ride, it take a bit of time).

**The catch to all of this is that when you finish a ride away from wifi, your Bolt/elemnt and your companion app have to be connected so they can do the sync. I've occassionally had this happen automatically, but most of the time I have to launch the app (and once in a while relaunch it) and wait for the device and the app to sync.

The issue, I'm guessing, is that you'd love the app and device to sync immediately after the ride, but you may not want them to be connected througout the entire ride (as that drains the battery on your phone). In my experience, the bluetooth connection between the phone and the device is usually dropped during a ride (and I'm OK with that, because I don't want my phone battery to drain that much), and that's why you need to re-establish that connection. And there's no way for the device to TELL the app, "hey, the ride is over, let's reconnect." The bluetooth connection process can only be initiated from the app.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Thx Fronesis, good advice

I too have noticed that the companion app sometimes will not readily connect to the Bolt, even though my iPhone BT says it's connected, I cannot see the device settings on the app. So that's one problem that I probably need to report to Wahoo.

It's have not as yet seen a severe battery drain on the phone as a result of the app running and, in theory, being connected to the Bolt during the ride, and I never really check or care. Thus at the end of a remote ride, the app should be running and I should then be able to proceed as you've suggested, or I'll relaunch the app. As I tend to not close apps in the iOS, I'll maybe get in the habit of stopping Wahoo and launching when I need it.

I'll check tomorrow.

I admit to being spoiled by Garmin in this respect in that my 810 seamlessly dumped the ride up to the app and then onward via cell data to connect and RWGPS. It worked every time for me in 18 mos. of use, though I've read many issues of this being a function that doesn't work on older Garmin units.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I have no issues dropping or connectivity issues with my Garmin 520.

One feature I have really come to use this after getting it is the ability to download a workout and power zones for my interval workouts quite easily with Garmin Connect.

I like that I can set a range for the interval (unlike in Training Peaks where u set only a single value).

Is this possible to set power or HR ranges with the Elemnt Bolt? Or is it a single value with a set percentage warning signal like in training peaks.

thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat987 View Post
    Is this possible to set power or HR ranges with the Elemnt Bolt? Or is it a single value with a set percentage warning signal like in training peaks.
    You can set both the power and HR ranges.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidCooled View Post
    You can set both the power and HR ranges.
    You can set both, but the LED indicators on top (bolt) on side (fat version), can only do one or the other.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    can the Bolt use the same mount as the Garmin?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    can the Bolt use the same mount as the Garmin?
    No, it uses it's own mounts. Both come with their own out in front mount in the box and with a simple rubber banded stem/handlebar mount.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pittcanna View Post
    No, it uses it's own mounts. Both come with their own out in front mount in the box and with a simple rubber banded stem/handlebar mount.
    Bolt uses zip ties on the stem mount.

Wahoo is also selling a non-aero out-front mount. Both the aero and standard out front mounts are cheaper then when I last looked, the aero out front was $39, it's now down to $20, same price as the non-aero. Stem mounts remain at $15.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    If you have a third party out front mount with a replaceable insert (i.e. K-Edge) you can just replace the insert for about 6$.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Fronesis and Wahoo are correct,

Close the companion app, start it, device will send saved ride to app, with the app then sending the ride on to wherever you have set. No WiFi needed.

Thx

SB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    I've had a Garmin Edge 500 for years and it has been absolutely flawless. Every Garmin accessory I've tried with it has also worked perfectly. I just yesterday got the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt and am already pissed off at how hard it is to set up the speed/cadence sensor. Why would they make a product that can't be adjusted to fit more than a handful of bike frames?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
    I've had a Garmin Edge 500 for years and it has been absolutely flawless. Every Garmin accessory I've tried with it has also worked perfectly. I just yesterday got the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt and am already pissed off at how hard it is to set up the speed/cadence sensor. Why would they make a product that can't be adjusted to fit more than a handful of bike frames?
    Heres my 2 cents.

The s/c speed sensor you are referring to works on about 95% of frame and wheelset combinations. That being said i would have opted for the rpm and speed combo package. Easier setup and portabilty
    https://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-Sensor-...rds=wahoo&th=1

wahoo fitness is great with there customer support. you should send them a message, and see if they can help you out.

Not a climber
    Quote Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
    Why would you change your speed/cadence sensor? Did you not have one before? I fully intend on leaving my Garmin ANT+ speed/cadence sensor alone when I get a Bolt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    Why would you change your speed/cadence sensor? Did you not have one before? I fully intend on leaving my Garmin ANT+ speed/cadence sensor alone when I get a Bolt.
    I wanted the Bluetooth capabilities to easily send data to my iPhone while using the TrainerRoad app.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    My read on this is he had the sensors and they worked with the Garmin, but not now with the new Bolt.

@TDF, what sensors and have you researched if there are the issues, or have you e-mailed Wahoo ?. Wahoo is pretty good at trying to resolve issues.

My Garmin speed sensors paired immediately with the Bolt and I've had no issues. One nice thing about the Wahoo method is once it's paired, it always knows to pair. On my Garmin 810 I had to manually change bike profiles to get the device to pair with a different Garmin speed sensor. I did more then a few mt. bike rides before I discovered this, it's a PITA. In Garmin's defence, I believe they've changed this with the 820 and 1030 as they've done away with bike profiles.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345