Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

I just unboxed my Wahoo Bolt - Garmin is so screwed.

I just unboxed my Wahoo Bolt... and Garmin is screwed! It's only a matter of time.

I scanned the QR code on the device, got it on Wifi within seconds, updated system software. I then download the companion app and was up and running within minutes. No wires, no reboots. It's amazing how much more responsive, legible and in depth this is over those tired Garmin products. Maps preloaded, 313MB free data.... I can't wait to use this on a ride this evening. The text is so crisp, the display is very much like a kindle where the display is on the surface and not the usual LCD below a plastic coating. Everything I hated about the Garmin is not present on this unit.

Sometimes, throwing money at a situation does make it all better

I just unboxed my Wahoo Bolt - Garmin is so screwed.-img_4981%5B1%5D.jpg

and the companion iPhone apps is CRAAAAAZY! No wires, no mess. Garmin, you had this coming. Then again, cycling was always an afterthought as avionics paid the bills and bonuses.
    Last edited by 9W9W; 04-28-2017 at 11:37 AM.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am thoroughly impressed with the wahoo unit. It offers seamless integration of trainingpeaks, strava, and ridewithgps. Just get the free ridewithgps account and anywhere you phone has mobile data you can synch it to the elemnt in seconds. No exporting of tcx into new rides folder then turning it off then on.

Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    I just unboxed my Wahoo Bolt... and Garmin is screwed! It's only a matter of time.

I scanned the QR code on the device, got it on Wifi within seconds, updated system software. I then download the companion app and was up and running within minutes. No wires, no reboots. It's amazing how much more responsive, legible and in depth this is over those tired Garmin products. Maps preloaded, 313MB free data.... I can't wait to use this on a ride this evening. The text is so crisp, the display is very much like a kindle where the display is on the surface and not the usual LCD below a plastic coating. Everything I hated about the Garmin is not present on this unit.

Sometimes, throwing money at a situation does make it all better

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4981[1].jpg 
Views:	703 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	318904

and the companion iPhone apps is CRAAAAAZY! No wires, no mess. Garmin, you had this coming. Then again, cycling was always an afterthought as avionics paid the bills and bonuses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yup, it's a terrific unit. Even with the early growing pains of the ELEMNT, I knew I had made the right decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Which garmins use wires? Mine always uploads automatically to garmin connect/strava through my cellphone (or wifi when I start and end at home) as soon as the ride is over.

Companion apps other than the dedicated garmin connect app will be the same for most devices (strava app, ride with gps app or map my ride app), so what is the difference there?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    I'm thinking once my E1000 goes kaput it'll be replaced by a Wahoo....probably whatever successor they have to the ELEMNT.

Was wanting to not have to buy a computer again and use a smartphone...but that is looking unrealistic in the visible future. None of the phones I want are waterproof, nvm battery life with screen on.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    I'll definitely be replacing my 520 with an Element. I really hate Garmin. Just that before nothing could really compete with it. No longer the case!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Bolt and really like it.

My old computer was a Garmin 500, while it was not wireless it was also flawless. Did everything I wanted.

I don't get the "hate" thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    I look forward to the Bolt 2 vs Edge 530/830 battle in a couple years when my 810 is ready to be replaced.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    Which garmins use wires? Mine always uploads automatically to garmin connect/strava through my cellphone (or wifi when I start and end at home) as soon as the ride is over.

Companion apps other than the dedicated garmin connect app will be the same for most devices (strava app, ride with gps app or map my ride app), so what is the difference there?

The difference here is that I tried both and apparently you did not. Garmin is well known to release buggy software which lead to rides being eaten, rides not being saved, every time I pressed that end ride button... it was like 50/50 on whether it would save or crash. Yeah, no. Done with all that. Done with multiple bike profiles being eaten, done with "memory full" messages. Done with file export acrobatics. Believe it: Garmin "hate" is a real thing among legions of its dissatisfied followers. Pedalbiker put it well, there was no competition until now and Garmin got lazy.

I purchased the Bolt mainly because of the clarity and crispness of its screen, ease of data point manipulation on the fly, and the configurable LED "in range out of range" display. I am very impressed with the overall package. Come towards the light!! Two hundred fifty bucks, probably less as you'll be able to net out the sale of your used Garmin unit.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

Crank Addict
    Mar 2014
    Can't wait to get my Bolt

www.Crankaddicts.cc

www.skratchlabs.com
    www.hilltopbicycles.com

2015 S-Works DSW Allez
    2015 Specialized Venge Pro
    2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Just so everyone knows, the only difference between the Bolt and the Original Elemnt is the size the screen and fewer LED's on the Bolt.

The original Elemnt is a little heavier and larger, but it has a larger screen (and displays a few more fields) and is a little cheaper than the bolt ($50 I think). Otherwise they both have the exact same functionality.

I have both units (Original Elemnt and Bolt). I have relegated my Elemnt to trainer duty (it works *great* with my Smart Trainer), and have put the new aero Bolt mounts on all of my 'outside' bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by arai_speed View Post

I don't get the "hate" thing.
    It's an elusive concept for some.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    #FirstWorldProblem

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Just so everyone knows, the only difference between the Bolt and the Original Elemnt is the size the screen and fewer LED's on the Bolt.
    Uhh, and it's all integrated and aero!?! Like, free watts, dude.

You just got a computer to tell you how much faster your computer makes you. Win/Win.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    #FirstWorldProblem
    Is that, like, supposed to be profound or something?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Uhh, and it's all integrated and aero!?! Like, free watts, dude.

You just got a computer to tell you how much faster your computer makes you. Win/Win.
    I've gotten numerous PRs since mounting the Bolt. My old Garmin was really holding me back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is that, like, supposed to be profound or something?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Eh, maybe a wahoo product will be the next computer I buy, but I haven't had any issues with either of the two garmins I've owned. I had a 500 and had no issues for several years. Updated to a 520 for the bluetooth connectivity and haven't had any issues with that either. I'm sure Wahoo is great but I really doubt they'll be putting Garmin out of business or anything.

CEO Of The Internet
    #FirstWorldProblem

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    The difference here is that I tried both and apparently you did not. Garmin is well known to release buggy software which lead to rides being eaten, rides not being saved, every time I pressed that end ride button... it was like 50/50 on whether it would save or crash.
    Yeah, the Element was flawless when it hit the market!

Personally I don't see getting passionate about a bike computer (love/hate) - it's a thing. If it does what you need then good. Both companies are good at creating new needs for people with digital addictions in a passionately connected world.
    Last edited by Srode; 04-28-2017 at 11:24 PM.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Yeah, the Element was flawless when it hit the market!
    I've owned several Garmin units in the past, and won't own one again. Edge 500, 820, and 1000. The reason I owned three is because I was so frustrated with the previous model that I bought a new one hoping it would be better. I learned an expensive lesson. How many years has Garmin been doing this? You would think they would be better at it, but being the only serious player for so many years, they apparently didn't have much motivation to provide a customer friendly support service.

The difference between Wahoo's update cycles and Garmins are night and day, and their support is fantastic too compared to Garmin's. I had an Edge 1000 that had bluetooth issues. I opened three separate support cases that were ignored and closed without even so much as contacting me. By the time I finally got them to respond the warranty had expired and they told me the unit needed to be refurbished (at my cost) or replaced.

Hello Elemnt!

I was a day one owner of the original Elemnt, and it did have some sensor drop out issues, but they they put out fairly frequent updates, improving the connectivity each time, until the issues were completely resolved. Every time I opened a support case, I dealt with a real human being, either via email, or over the phone. They acknowledged the problem and gave me some tips on how to work around the issues, and even gave me access to a beta firmware to try until they released the firmware that resolved the issue.

The Elemnt app is a breath of fresh air compared to Garmin Connect. All of the features of the head unit, including the data fields, page layouts and sensor pairing can all be configured from the phone. Once setup, the unit can operate completely independently of phone to save battery (unless you want to utilize the Live Track or Phone/SMS notifications).

I'm done with Garmin and couldn't be happier about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You were much more patient with Wahoo than I would have been, I would have returned it. Garmin has bugs when they hit the market but of the 3 I have (500,510,820), I have never had an issue that I would consider a critical functionality issue like dropping sensors all the time. The most serious issue I have had on any of the Garmins was the 820 touch screen changing by itself when in the rain, and there was an easy work around with 2 quick actions to lock the screen in a downpour, took all of about 15 seconds to execute. That issue was fixed much faster than the sensor dropping issue with the Element.

I'm not knocking the Element or Bolt, both great units I'm sure. My point is lets not try to kid anyone by making it sound like Wahoo's computers have a history of flawless execution when they hit the market. Making a claim like that is not only incorrect but clearly draws into question the objectivity of the person making the claim. Great they communicate well, but that didn't result in a quick fix to what I would consider a non-functional unit based on what I read in your thread.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    So this computer is connected via Bluetooth to a phone. If I decide not to take my phone along, what features do I lose? Can I still use the GPS navigation? Last question: do you guys ever have issues with the Bluetooth connection? I've only ever used a simple GPS (Bryton 100), but the Bolt looks interesting. Thx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    To what extent does the Wahoo need a smartphone?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    The phone is used to setup your data screens, upload rides to Strava and such, and make routes.. It is not needed for normal riding use.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast