RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

I 'm in the market for a new pair cycling shoes...

And i'm wondering if certain type of road shoes soles(carbon,plastic, stiffness of sole) are better others at helping with toe numbness, if so what brands or type of things do I need to look for, my current shoes are a Specialized Road with the boa. They are the right size with good toe space, also it seems the numbness is not as bad if i dont tighten them to much, but this leaves them a little loose around my heels.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Toe numbness may be an issue with fit and insoles. I usually use an arch insole, and buy my shoes a bit long.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Toe numbness may be an issue with fit and insoles. I usually use an arch insole, and buy my shoes a bit long.
    I use the Specialized mid arch insole, don't think the shoes are to small, I also have the cleat set all the way back toward the heel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    If the Body Geometry insoles aren't addressing your numb toes, I'd first suggest trying the next model up of the insole; the one with the next most pronounced metatarsal bump. You may need more than the default insole has.

Some Specialized dealers have a device which takes an imprint of your feet and determines whether you have low, medium, or high arches, and recommends the appropriate insole. You can do the same thing with damp feet, stepping on a paper bag.

Once you're sure you have the right insoles but the problem persists, your money would be better spent seeing a sports-knowledgeable podiatrist (bring your cycling shoes with you) than suggest a new pair of shoes. In my opinion, all cycling shoes are stiff enough and their stiffness is not the cause of numb toes, but the forces on the foot from pushing down. I feel you need a more supportive insole because your foot is collapsing on the downstroke, pinching a nerve.

Road Warrior
    Could your feet be swelling? Try a different sock thickness. It's a long shot but thin socks worked for me, especially in the heat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I had issues with foot numbness as well. My LBS adjusted the position of the cleat on the shoe and the numbness went away. This was a part of a fitting to resolve other numbness as well. IIRC, the cleat was too far back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When does the numbness start to escalate ? Straight away or after 20-30 miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    When I was running clipless I bought a size bigger shoe and it helped a lot due to foot swelling.

Currently though I run flat pedals and shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by izza View Post
    When does the numbness start to escalate ? Straight away or after 20-30 miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Usually shows up around 25/30 miles depending on how hard or fast we are trying to go. wiggling my toes some helps a little, I dont think I have much padding on the bottom of my feet, sometimes this problem shows up some when I'm on my feet a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Personally I find cycling shoes to be some of the most poorly shaped shoes created for any activity. On top of that it seems like most cyclists size their shoes to small. The advice I got from multiple people when I got my first clipless shoes and pedals is that you want a snug fit. Which is completely wrong.

I'm not saying your shoes are to small but without a doubt its #1 on the list of what may cause toe numbness. #2 would be cinching down the laces, strap or BOA to tight. For shoe fitment your toes should not be touching any point of the toe box at all. It can be difficult to find a shoe shaped to allow this since cycling shoes are so poorly designed for the natural shape of a foot. Sometimes going up a size to get more toe space ends up being an akaward fitting shoe because its not the right size for your foot. Bottom line is if blood can't flow in and out unimpeded you will most likely have numbness issues.

Bringing up this topic reminded me I've been meaning to e-mail Altra about expanding to cycling shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura Roubaix View Post
    And i'm wondering if certain type of road shoes soles(carbon,plastic, stiffness of sole) are better others at helping with toe numbness, if so what brands or type of things do I need to look for, my current shoes are a Specialized Road with the boa. They are the right size with good toe space, also it seems the numbness is not as bad if i dont tighten them to much, but this leaves them a little loose around my heels.
    I am also using the Specialized shoes (S-Works) with Boa - 2016 model I believe and seldom have numbness issues. I had an older pair that had a smaller toe box and I would experience some numbness in my big toes after about 20 mies or so. The newer models have larger toe boxes. Your feet will swell, especially on hot days, so it is probably a good idea to use at least a half size larger. Also, try on a pair (as soon as you can) after a ride to get a better idea of sizing. Or later in the day after walking.
    Your feet will already have swollen. Bike fitters can also offer advice on inner soles or orthotics.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Some shoes just don't work for some people. My feet love Sidis...but before my Sidis, I tried Shimano and Pearl and Specialized shoes. All had their fit issues that didn't make my feet happy with me.

It is a particular problem in the USA because only the "M" width is ever stocked anywhere by anyone for most brands (presuming other widths are made)....and you're stuck trying to find the right width/length proportion in "M" for your feet....those Shimano shoes I used for example were very wide for a 44EU sizing compared to a Sidi 44EU
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    "Toe numbness may be an issue with fit and insoles. I usually use an arch insole, and buy my shoes a bit long."

This ^ I do the same

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    If you have wide feet, the Shimano brand has been very reputable for comfort