RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017

I need help to fix up some scratches on my bike

Hello,

I just bought myself a used bike. Unfortunately I discovered some pretty bad scratches on it that I would like to hide or fix as much as possible.

What are some of the things that I can do to hide up those scratches?

I've read about waxing, using toothpaste and microfiber clothes. I am not sure about using paint as you can never hit the exact right color.

I need help to fix up some scratches on my bike-20170903_132211.jpgI need help to fix up some scratches on my bike-20170903_132223.jpgI need help to fix up some scratches on my bike-20170903_132206.jpgI need help to fix up some scratches on my bike-20170903_132202.jpgI need help to fix up some scratches on my bike-20170903_132238.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    leave it be then you won't have to worry about scratching it.

Fecal indicator
    meh, those are very minor, especially for a used bike.

just grab some car wax from the garage and do a little buffing...even if the scratches still show, at least they'll be a little less obvious.

painting over those will look like crap. don't do it...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    ^ this.

you can try a compounding liquid and/or scratch remover prior to waxing. check an auto parts store.

and at least one looks like more than a scratch. maybe a ding. maybe a dent.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gazoome View Post
    I am not sure about using paint as you can never hit the exact right color.
    Actually, automotive touch-up paint comes in a VERY wide range of colors and your chances of getting a match are pretty good. You can compare paint colors by putting a dab someplace inconspicuous (e.g. under the bottom bracket).

But getting a good look is as much about preparation and finishing as anything. Google the topic and you'll get all kinds of advice and videos to watch.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    How did you buy a beat up used bike and not notice all the bad scratches all over?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    ...and at least one looks like more than a scratch. maybe a ding. maybe a dent.
    yeah, didn't open all the pics on first viewing, one looks like a definite dent with the paint cracked completely around it...ouch.

just another reason to not consider touch-up painting...not worth the time and effort with banged up tubes.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    just grab some car wax from the garage and do a little buffing...even if the scratches still show, at least they'll be a little less obvious.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    ^ this.

you can try a compounding liquid and/or scratch remover prior to waxing. check an auto parts store.
    And that.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's used so you can either leave well enough alone as the more you polish that pig up the more that ding in the TT will stick out or sand everything back to smooth wet decreasing grades or wet and dry sandpaper. Throw some body putty in the ding and deep scratches and sand smooth again. wipe it down with paint prep and then two cans of your favorite rattle can spray paint. You can you tube all this stuff. Just depends if this is a beater bike or an investment bike.

Stickers work well too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Picture 3 looks like someone hit it with a hammer.

Did you buy it when it was dark outside?