RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017

I need your opinion

I am a college student doing a project trying to make cycling on the roads safer by integrating a removable GPS system onto the bike to alert vehicles when they are coming within close proximity to the bike so bikers will not get hit by cars. So, where do you think the best place to put a small GPS sensor on a bike? I am thinking under the frame in front of the seat. What do you guys think?

Huge in Japan
    You intend to have a cyclist's GPS warn a vehicle driver that they are too close to the cyclist (how ever the hell that's going to happen)? Then put the GPS under the saddle where the cyclist cannot use it?

Seriously?
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanjantzen97 View Post
    I am a college student doing a project trying to make cycling on the roads safer by integrating a removable GPS system onto the bike to alert vehicles when they are coming within close proximity to the bike so bikers will not get hit by cars. So, where do you think the best place to put a small GPS sensor on a bike? I am thinking under the frame in front of the seat. What do you guys think?
    The question lacks critical information, making it difficult to answer.

1. The GPS on the bike will "alert vehicles", so it will alert the car, so you're talking about the GPS interfacing with the vehicle's collision avoidance system?

2. The GPS on the bike will alert the driver of the vehicle in some way? How? Visually? Audibly?

3. You're mounting a "small GPS sensor" on the bike. A GPS, by definition, "senses" the location of the unit. Does the "sensor" detect anything other than location? If yes, what?

Note that many cyclists already carry GPS units, usually either on their handlebars or in their pockets. And a great number of the rest, who don't have GPS units, carry smart phones which have a GPS function. So, I'm not sure what you're adding here.

--------------

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by craiger_ny View Post
    You intend to have a cyclist's GPS warn a vehicle driver that they are too close to the cyclist
    My guess is he's actually talking about something like a transponder--a small device streaming data, but not displaying anything to the person on the bike.

Huge in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    My guess is he's actually talking about a transponder, which is a small device streaming data, but not displaying anything to the person on the bike.
    I see. In this case it doesn't have to be a GPS based device but rather something that transmits a signal that can be detected and measured for distance by a receiver. It would seem to me that in such a case all that one really needs is an onboard device that measures distance to everything proximate. No need for a transponder.

It seems rather superfluous to me but I am not a designer or marketer of automobile gadgetry.
    Last edited by craiger_ny; 03-17-2017 at 04:42 AM. Reason: my speeling sucks...probably still errors
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    My guess is he's actually talking about something like a transponder--a small device streaming data, but not displaying anything to the person on the bike.
    That's how I read it. It would essentially ping cars to alert them that they're approaching a bike.

Interesting idea, OP. I would say placing the device under the saddle would offer the best protection.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

gazing from the shadows
    GPS makes no sense for this application. GPS has too large a measurement error for safety, which is a fatal flaw no matter what other kludging you do.

Sonar or radar based is how you want to go, if you want to avoid an automatic fail on the assignment. Think about defining a lane based on bike position (a narrow lane) then base the detection on current or potential violations of that lane. Here's a forward looking version, they were crowdsourcing a while ago, don't know if it is on the market yet or not. BYXEE ? Make your ride safer Many other tech exists, in one stage of development or another. Here's a story on a Dutch project for older cyclists: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...arns-you-crash

Do your market research before trying to come up with a product, that's my suggestion.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    That's how I read it. It would essentially ping cars to alert them that they're approaching a bike.
    Which would work for cars with compatible collision avoidance systems. Which would require programming those car's systems at the least. And would not work for cars with incompatible systems... or no collision avoidance systems at all.

The other downside I can see is that a line of sensors across a roadway would ping every car and bring the entire road to a dead stop to avoid the "bikes" stopped across the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Sonar or radar based is how you want to go
    That would be sick as hell.

Have the car's seat-belt tug on (Genesis cars) you a little while sounding a tiny beep or a small vibration through the steering wheel.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    Have the car's seat-belt tug on (Genesis cars) you a little while sounding a tiny beep or a small vibration through the steering wheel.
    That guardian link on the Dutch project... the grips vibrate to warn about front collision danger, the seat for rear collision danger.

Given hearing issues for older people using bikes for daily tasks, that makes sense.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D&MsDad View Post
    2. The GPS on the bike will alert the driver of the vehicle in some way? How? Visually? Audibly?

--------------
    I suggest that it cause the motorists cell phone to ring, I'm sure that they have one and that they'll hear it ring.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    GPS makes no sense for this application. GPS has too large a measurement error for safety, which is a fatal flaw no matter what other kludging you do.

Sonar or radar based is how you want to go, if you want to avoid an automatic fail on the assignment. Think about defining a lane based on bike position (a narrow lane) then base the detection on current or potential violations of that lane. Here's a forward looking version, they were crowdsourcing a while ago, don't know if it is on the market yet or not. BYXEE ? Make your ride safer Many other tech exists, in one stage of development or another. Here's a story on a Dutch project for older cyclists: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...arns-you-crash

Do your market research before trying to come up with a product, that's my suggestion.
    This. GPS is crap for precision position. Unless you are talking about a RTK system, though I doubt you have the $$$ for one as a class project. Even then you would be limited to the range of the correction message, but that might not matter for a quick demo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I suggest that it cause the motorists cell phone to ring, I'm sure that they have one and that they'll hear it ring.
    Yeah, so every car that approaches me from the rear has an idiot looking down at their phone to see who is calling...not just half the idiots that do it now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    how about using a fish finder instead?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Agree. They are probabily texting on it anyway so its in their hand

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Is this device supposed to make a sound to alert the cyclist? My thoughts are that there are so many other sounds to pay attention to while biking, including up and coming cars, that I can't see any benefit to having a device make a sound that I may or may not hear.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    The high end cars with collision avoidance systems already are using radar (I think) to detect obstacles in the road (such as pedestrians) and will apply the brakes if the driver does not. This idea seems superfluous, as the folks driving cheaper cars are not likely to purchase the receiver that would alert them. The idea of using their cell phone on the surface seems reasonable, since most have one - but as already pointed out that could make the ride more dangerous as the driver looks at his phone to see who is calling him.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This post looks eerily similar to another first time posting "college student doing a project" question awhile back.

And just as much critical information left out to be able to give a reasonable answer.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This post looks eerily similar to another first time posting "college student doing a project" question awhile back.

And just as much critical information left out to be able to give a reasonable answer.
    RBR is a trusted resource for all manner of collegiate endeavors

RoadBikeReview Member
    In the US, GPS accuracy is 12 meters. That's like the whole road and then some. Keeping in communications with the satellites will really suck batteries, better make it easily accessible so you can plug the unit in after every ride -- especially after having it go off for every car that passes you in either direction for the entire ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    what is getting close is these bluetooth crowd-sourcing applications. i think BT can pinpoint better than gps.

you can figure out where a transmitter is (say, a transmitter on your dog or on your kids bike or on your stolen bike), with limited BT range, by hopping the info request across affiliated BT devices.

xyfindit.com is an example.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My snarky reaction is that you could stick it up your wazoo.......

We don' need no steenkin' GPS......
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!