RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

I will never understand why some fell the need to be superior by cheating little rant

I started one of the challenges on Strava. It's riding the tour distance in the month or something like that. Anyway, the challenge started on the 29th of June and the leader has already ridden 13,702 kilometers on one ride since the start, and several others who have gone 500-600 on one ride. It's not just strava but I noticed some superman like states on several sites. It just amazes some people feel the need to do things like this. I knew in the begining I wouldn't win I didn't set out to win, its more of a self challenge, but it's just the priniciple. Maybe I'm in the minority I don't know.

Ok rant over

Steaming piles of opinion
    The biggest number is likely some sort of data error - I can't imagine anyone is stupid enough to 'cheat' that badly.
    As for the 500-600 numbers, those aren't unrealistic distances for randos, depending on the time involved.

But yeah, Strava is rife with cheats, and I've never understood why people would do it, short of there being some sort of actual giveaway prize. Even then I don't get the psychological need to be held out for something that wasn't earned. Would rather not have to face whatever ill-gotten gains mocking me whever I looked at them.

Yet another reason I don't bother with Strava. If it's truly a self-challenge, the numbers on your own computer tell all.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    It's just a shame that's all.

I would agree about the 500-600 but they are showing they were completed in 1 ride, and to me that seems like a bit munch.

Not sure how many will view this, but is the Garmin Connect program any better as far as cheating/inflating your numbers is concerned?

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    The biggest number is likely some sort of data error - I can't imagine anyone is stupid enough to 'cheat' that badly.
    As for the 500-600 numbers, those aren't unrealistic distances for randos, depending on the time involved.

But yeah, Strava is rife with cheats, and I've never understood why people would do it, short of there being some sort of actual giveaway prize. Even then I don't get the psychological need to be held out for something that wasn't earned. Would rather not have to face whatever ill-gotten gains mocking me whever I looked at them.

Yet another reason I don't bother with Strava. If it's truly a self-challenge, the numbers on your own computer tell all.
    Some people need to compensate for other parts of their body. Some people have ultra competitive egos.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

fu
    As has been said, the wacky numbers are most likely due to data errors. Report the ride if you think something is off and hopefully Strava will take care of it.
    Last edited by ph0enix; 07-01-2013 at 09:27 AM.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I usually get upset about it, then I think that it's only numbers on a screen and take my eyes off the interwebs. After that, I feel much better about my distances.

Master debator.
    I really think that the cheating on Strava is a minor issue sorry. Ever lined up to race in a real race knowing that a good portion of the guys in their 40's are taking testosterone supplements or using other things to help them out?
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Meh, I don't bother with Strava. Just ride your bike and stop giving the NSA another way to track your movements.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I recently had an error on a Garmin recorded route. It put a GPS location out over the Pacific and I had a 10,000mi recorded distance! Including elevation to ride over the Rockies.

I would say the 13,702km is some sort of error. According to his profile he's only rode 575mi total for June and his longest all time ride is 68mi. Not sure how Strava can say he has 13,702 in a single ride.

The #4 leader (Phil Gradwell) has a single ride at 609.4km. While on the surface this seems impossible, if you look at the stats of the ride, it's not all that odd. Bike Ride Profile | Holland 600 Audax near Poynton | Times and Records | Strava 378.7mi Distance Time: 26:50:36 Ave speed: 14.1mph
    It could be a multi day ride recorded as one event.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I found it kind of funny that Laurens ten Dam entered the Strava Take on the Tour.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Red face

Digital EPO, funny stuff. I just started using strava recently and I like the concept of segments so that I can track my own progress over a segment that I ride often. Plus, I can compete with locals in a virtual time trial. I haven't found this functionality on any other app (although map my ride is trying). On popular segments, the leaders appear to be and probably are riding beyond human capabilities. The best way to work around this is to avoid popular segments. I create my own segments or join previously created segments with a combination of streets that are typically not ridden on. There are a number of segments in my area with as few as four previous riders (easy trophy) and some with no more than twenty previous riders (even in NYC!). The riders all appear to be local for the most part and more importantly there doesn't appear to be any cheating.

I use to use polartrainer.com with a 300x hrm, but the functionality is very limited and the 300x does not include integrated gps so I am limited only to tracking time in sport zones. Otherwise, the 300x is a terrific stand alone hrm for cycling, specifically because it includes interval timers based on sport zone and time, sport zone alarm, and a sport zone display which shows the zone you are in rather than the HR number. I am considering moving up to a HRM with GPS, but at a minimum it must have an interval timer. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Where's that GPS?
    I've experianced data transfer errors on Strava - like I do I 20 mile ride and it tells me I did 55. When that happens, I post a correction in the comments section under the ride with my true milage.

Then again - they could be cheating. I have a guy in my area whose PB on a popular route clocks him at averaging 50+ miles per hour for almost 20 miles (which just happens to be the speed limit on that road)! Perhaps he had the bike on the roof of his car and forgot the computer was turned on? Perhaps it was a file transfer issue like mine? I don't know - I Strava against myself - I'm not racing out there, but it does seem to reflect some people's desperation.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

RoadBikeReview Member
    The brevets or audax are long distance events. They are checkpoint touring type rides. I've done a few 200km. They can go thru the night and last a few days.

So yeah on the surface that many miles sounds impossible but it's not really.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I found it kind of funny that Laurens ten Dam entered the Strava Take on the Tour.
    Yeah, isn't that hilarious? But it's a blast following his stages. Pretty neat.

What's even more funny is he was doing better in the Tour than in the challenge. Now he's at 6th in both.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_John View Post
    Yeah, isn't that hilarious? But it's a blast following his stages. Pretty neat.

What's even more funny is he was doing better in the Tour than in the challenge. Now he's at 6th in both.

If Froome uploads his data in teh future he'll get an email saying

"Chris Froome has stole your KOM on Mt. Ventoux!"