toomanybikes

I'm getting really sick of snow and ice...

... and cobwebs on my bikes ( well, there would be if the garage wasn't so damn cold) and the horrible feeling that my middle is getting bigger ( even though it isn't) - I want to go for a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There, sorry, I had to do that - I feel better now. The damn snowplows don't cut a wide enough furrow that I can even think of going out, damn groundhog!

Diphthong
    I hear ya. I was just telling my wife yesterday that I NEED to get out and ride. I can feel my legs atrophying as I type this.

hi, I'm Larry

Cool My wife is telling me to get out of here and go for a ride!

-----

Agree....winter sucks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I'm getting really sick of snow and ice...-crap.jpg  

$4000 bike - two bit legs

Thumbs down I feel your pain. This sucks. More ice than snow

I'm going stir crazy. With a "normal" January, I'd squeeze in at least a 100 miles or so. A 100 miles would at least keep me in the ballgame. Everytime I think I might sneak out, the weater report changes to "sleet, snow and no bike on the road". Damn

Man, I hate pot holes!

...and now, a word from Albert Camus...

"In the depths of winter I discovered within me
    an invincible summer."

Just keep the ride inside you no matter what happens outside. Spring'll be here soon enough. This week it's above freezing for the first time in three weeks. It's like a heat wave. I'm going out and getting a tan on my @$$.

-owmynads
    "Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power
    And tore off up Highway 106
    Continually drunk on the wind in my mouth
    Wringing the handlebar for speed
    Wild to be wreckage forever."

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by owmynads
    "In the depths of winter I discovered within me
    an invincible summer."

Just keep the ride inside you no matter what happens outside. Spring'll be here soon enough. This week it's above freezing for the first time in three weeks. It's like a heat wave. I'm going out and getting a tan on my @$$.

-owmynads
    I'm just getting jumpy, last year this time I probably already had a few hundred miles in. we had a mild winter with almost no snow.

This year it keeps snowing, I could live with that but the problem is IF the plows get out they only plow basically enough for the cars - no wider and certainly no shoulder, I am not going out on those roads.

So from time to time on the trainer - boring - getting old.

Hoping for clear roads soon, I don't care if it's cold - I can dress for that but I need some road surface to put the wheels on!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I may be getting to be a old wuss but... I don't find going out when the temperature is 40 or below that enjoyable. Yesterday was high 30s and rain - stayed in on the trainer. This morning - still high 30s and still wet - Good Morning America helps to cut the trainer boredom. Weather forcast for the weekend is high 20s in the mornings - maybe I will wait until afternoon. Spring can't come soon enough.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Nokina studded snow tires help a lot.

We invested in Nokian studded tires 4 years ago and have rarely missed a day of riding since. Sure they were fairly expensive but after 4 years they show little signs of wear
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Done
    Mar 2002

I'm Kicking Myself...

...for not picking up a set of studded tires this winter.

One of my commuter buddies rode in today to D.C. from Mt. Vernon (I've been doing the wuss Metro deal). It took him 1 hour 45 minutes to navigate the trail into DC. Granted, he wasn't on studs or 'cross tires....
    Last edited by Gregory Taylor; 02-06-2004 at 06:03 AM. Reason: grammar
    It's Been Fun...See You Down The Road.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

What is the worst that can happen.

If you buy them and the weather turns good who can complain. One of the nicest things about owning studded tires is knowing that our use of the Metro cattle cars will always be very minimal.

FWIW Miss M hasn't taken Metro yet this year.

Clever User Title Pending

It Won't End!!!

We've been under snow for the last two weeks, with really cold temperatures the weeks prior to that. I haven't actually been on a bike on the road in maybe a month.

I can deal with low-ish temps (35-40), but not that plus wet.

What's killing me is the weather guys. One site seems to tease me: the long range forecast on Tuesday puts a tolerable day (~42 and not wet) on a weekend. But, over the course of the week, that number goes down, and the precipitation chance goes up.

Then there is another weather guy who absolutely loves winter. Every time there is a storm, his eyes light up, and he speaks about how exciting it will be.

Meanwhile, I've done my CTS tape so many times that I think the images are burned into the VCR.

I need spring. I need it now!!! Or am I just suffering from Seasonal Affected Disorder?

Sorry--that was supposed to be a reply to the main thread!
    Last edited by chbarr; 02-06-2004 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Replied to the wrong layer

RoadBikeReview Member
    For real, more snow (albeit a dusting) for tomorrow in the NE. Stahp!!!!

Oh, and happy Friday.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Congratulations, you've just won "thread dredge of the week"! Wow, a 14 year old thread, back from the dead!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    For real, more snow (albeit a dusting) for tomorrow in the NE. Stahp!!!!

Oh, and happy Friday.
    Same to you Wetworks! Take the dog for a walk, throw a log in the fireplace, and chill out with a nice fruit smoothie, contemplating the warmth soon to come!

Or move south. It hit 72F this afternoon in DC!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Same to you Wetworks! Take the dog for a walk, throw a log in the fireplace, and chill out with a nice fruit smoothie, contemplating the warmth soon to come!

Or move south. It hit 72F this afternoon in DC!
    Or drive north and take advantage of many of the still open xc ski centers in VT and Upstate NY.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Russian Troll Farmer
    So.....did the winter of 2003-2004 ever actually end??? Please update us!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Congratulations, you've just won "thread dredge of the week"! Wow, a 14 year old thread, back from the dead!
    Did my best to keep it current, lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes View Post
    ... and cobwebs on my bikes ( well, there would be if the garage wasn't so damn cold) and the horrible feeling that my middle is getting bigger ( even though it isn't) - I want to go for a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There, sorry, I had to do that - I feel better now. The damn snowplows don't cut a wide enough furrow that I can even think of going out, damn groundhog!
    Was 80 degrees today.... Bwahaha!
    Cheap bikes are great... because they're cheap!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by tabl10s View Post
    Was 80 degrees today.... Bwahaha!
    You do realize that you just quoted and replied to a post from Feb of '04, right? The poster isn't even a member.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You do realize that you just quoted and replied to a post from Feb of '04, right? The poster isn't even a member.
    Yeah,

The ☀ is out and it feels great. It doesn't snow here either!
    Cheap bikes are great... because they're cheap!