RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014

I'm off for another 2 day ride tomorrow...

I've been doing these fun rides lately... Pick a cool town about 50 or 60 scenic miles away. Book a nice room near town. Ride there (in my case, with my dog along). And then have my wife drive there to meet for a nice, romantic night on the town. It takes her an hour or two, to drive to where it takes me and my 20LB dog to get in a leisurely 6 hours or so. Some fine dining. A hike. Shopping. Maybe live music.
    Next morning, charming breakfast, etc... Then I ride home, usually a different route.
    It has been great. I get two days of serious riding, and she gets fun little get-a-ways close to home. We are exploring towns near us that we would otherwise never spend a night in, except that for a cyclist, it is a day's journey.

Healdsburg, CA. a few weeks ago
    Halfmoon Bay, CA. a couple weeks ago
    Tomorrow, Guerneville, CA. Staying at a place built in 1905. Cabins on the Russian River.

I guess you could call it short range, luxury touring with a spousal inclusion component.

Anyone else into this kind of thing? Or lucky enough to have a girl that will do the rides with you?

banned
    Feb 2017
    Now that sounds like loads of fun. Only problem is you might not be burning off enough of those unneeded extra calories you are pumping in. Got to ride with some intensity!

a real member's member
    sidecar for the dog?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Does your dog run with you for 50 miles, or do you use a trailer?

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    That is a great way to enjoy riding new roads. Kudos to you!

Which place are you staying in in Guerneville. I stayed in a cabin there for Thanksgiving ten years ago. The cabin had a really nice double jacuzzi tub that made soaking cycling weary muscles quite enjoyable...
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Dawn Ranch Lodge. Had a great trip. Wish I could figure out how to post pics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    I do something a bit similar whenever I take the family down near Long Beach Island, NJ to visit the beach. My wife drops me off on one end of the island (either with bike or on foot), she then drives to the other end and takes the kids to the beach.

I either ride or run to meet her and when i get there I take the kids so she can get her own workout in or just read a book in peace. It's about 18 miles end to end so it's a great workout whether I run or ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Great idea to improve the WAF of long rides. This is sort of the glamping version of what the bikepacking crowd calls S24O - sub 24 hour overnight. Sounds like a great trip!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    It's been working out really well. It it's just whetting my appetite (along with this glorious spring weather) for a longer (week or two) camping tour with just me and Pepper, the 19 lb terrier mix.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    When I was younger, living in Athens, GA, I used to head out every other weekend for an overnight ride. I had a bunch of favorite campsites ranging from 50 to 115 miles away (the longer rides were for the summertime with long hours of sunlight). Then when vacation time came around I would take off on one to three week bike trips - across the Smokies into Tennessee, up to Virginia and back, along the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina (and nearby roads). This allowed me to reach my annual goal of camping out at least thirty nights every year. As I said before - it was also a great way to explore new roads that you can't reach on a normal Saturday ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    I like this idea. It might be just the thing to not have my wife mad at me all summer for too much biking.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff400650 View Post
    Dawn Ranch Lodge. Had a great trip. Wish I could figure out how to post pics.
    I had to look it up. I stayed in one of the Fern Grove B&B cottages. Slightly less upscale than Dawn Ranch, but nice enough for my tastes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    wife and I do similar. Ride our bikes 50km up to the ferry on mostly MUT. ferries take us to any of the 7 beautiful Gulf Islands near here. AirBnB a whole cabin for 1-3 nights. the islands offer some very rolling hilly 40-65km rides each. We use the new generation bikepacking bags for our stuff, just no tent nor sleepingbag. Usually bring a stuffable backpack to buy groceries and wine just before the ferry dock.