Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jack of no trades

Question I'm pondering a good Tablet for Zwift. Any ideas?

My current set-up is a old Toshiba Satellite laptop. It's got a direct Ethernet line running into it from the cable modem upstairs, and HDMI run out the other side into the TV. And, of course, it's always got the power cord plugged in so I never have to fuss with battery life. But I've experience a lot of issues the past couple years and want to upgrade.

I'd like a similar set up, just with a really decent tablet (mainly because I can't afford a really decent PC right now with a dedicated graphics card and speedy processor to run the game without hiccups.

So, what are your recommendations?

Forever a Student
    Do you need the tablet otherwise?

If not, getting an Apple TV 4K might be a better option.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    My current set-up is a old Toshiba Satellite laptop. It's got a direct Ethernet line running into it from the cable modem upstairs, and HDMI run out the other side into the TV. And, of course, it's always got the power cord plugged in so I never have to fuss with battery life. But I've experience a lot of issues the past couple years and want to upgrade.

I'd like a similar set up, just with a really decent tablet (mainly because I can't afford a really decent PC right now with a dedicated graphics card and speedy processor to run the game without hiccups.

So, what are your recommendations?
    For a bit more than the price of a tablet you could maybe get a used desktop and add a decent video card. An i3 processor is enough to run Zwift but you need a good video card.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    FYI currently the only tablet that works with Zwift is an iPad. They do not have an Android version. Something to think of because Apple tablets aren't exactly known for being low price items.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm not sure a tablet is going to have a fast enough video card - many laptops don't. I would recommend reaching looking at the system requirements on the Zwift page and if in doubt ask them before buying anything. Personally, I like using a big flat screen moniter to make it a more immersive / engaging experience.

I bought a $200 Dell 4500 laptop off ebay with an i7 processer, dedicated NVidia video card with 1gb of ram on it, and 8 GB of ram in the laptop to project on the flat screen I already have in the exercise room. I also use the laptop now for my travel / vacation laptop.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Forever a Student
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I have used my fiancee's ipad pro with seemingly good results.... but its pricey!!!

the new Apple TV may be the "cheaper" way to go..... I haven't tried it yet, so the jury it out in my camp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Buy a laptop cheaper, than an iPad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    AppleTV runs Zwift flawlessly. That plus a cheap monitor/TV and you've got a great setup without spending very much at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    I'm not sure a tablet is going to have a fast enough video card - many laptops don't. I would recommend reaching looking at the system requirements on the Zwift page and if in doubt ask them before buying anything. Personally, I like using a big flat screen moniter to make it a more immersive / engaging experience.

I bought a $200 Dell 4500 laptop off ebay with an i7 processer, dedicated NVidia video card with 1gb of ram on it, and 8 GB of ram in the laptop to project on the flat screen I already have in the exercise room. I also use the laptop now for my travel / vacation laptop.
    Do you HDMI cable connect from laptop to flat screen TV?

Jack of no trades
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Yes, I do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, works great. On this laptop you need DVI on one end for the laptop, and HDMI on the TV. Picked up that cable from Amazon for like 6 bucks.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, works great. On this laptop you need DVI on one end for the laptop, and HDMI on the TV. Picked up that cable from Amazon for like 6 bucks.
    Thanks. Does sound like a great set up. Well done!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. Does sound like a great set up. Well done!
    I meant display port, not DVI.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    I meant display port, not DVI.
    Understood. Many laptops have a HDMI out so basic HDMI cable work fine as well.
    I am more a fan of HDMI versus Apple TV..and even ethernet versus WiFi. Personal preference...if HDMI cable is convenient in terms of component separation.
    Cheers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Understood. Many laptops have a HDMI out so basic HDMI cable work fine as well.
    I am more a fan of HDMI versus Apple TV..and even ethernet versus WiFi. Personal preference...if HDMI cable is convenient in terms of component separation.
    Cheers.
    One option to avoid a long HDMI run is set the laptop next to the TV and use a wireless keyboard to control it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    One option to avoid a long HDMI run is set the laptop next to the TV and use a wireless keyboard to control it
    Great tip!

Forever a Student
    I am more a fan of HDMI versus Apple TV.
    ?

The Apple TV and most everything else today uses HDMI.

That's how the picture and sound show up on the television.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    ?

The Apple TV and most everything else today uses HDMI.

That's how the picture and sound show up on the television.
    LOL...a matter of philosophy. Where do you want to stream from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8xdmPupz7k

Lets say you don't want to go the Apple TV route. You want to stream Netflix. Download an app to laptop. HDMI out from Laptop to HDMI in on TV. If you want to go pure hard signal and not thru the air...you can even wire your laptop via Ethernet cable to your modem coming through the wall. Wifi can be a bit dodgy in some locations.

With Apple TV..you buy the device and yes plug it into the HDMI in on the TV.

A difference of philosophy which you prefer.

HDMI input on TV from Apple TV unit....not HDMI out from laptop to HDMI input on TV....how I wire my desktop for example to my big screen. I prefer my computer browser to crappy smart TV browser with inferior processor.

You don't need Apple TV for Zwift.

The Slow One.
    I have the base model Alienware Alpha with the i3 for my Zwift PC, running to a 24" 1080p display. I upgraded the memory, but otherwise it's pretty much the same thing I got back when Zwift was in beta. Runs Zwift just fine, because you need a "fast" display processor more than you need a fast CPU for games like Zwift. I'd have to look, but I think I paid less than $350 for it new back then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Mike View Post
    I have the base model Alienware Alpha with the i3 for my Zwift PC, running to a 24" 1080p display. I upgraded the memory, but otherwise it's pretty much the same thing I got back when Zwift was in beta. Runs Zwift just fine, because you need a "fast" display processor more than you need a fast CPU for games like Zwift. I'd have to look, but I think I paid less than $350 for it new back then.
    I have the exact same unit (i3 with 2G GTX860 GPU). I went that route because I was able use frequent flyer miles to "buy" it (the one benefits of a dozen+ trips to Japan). Interestingly my wife got me a 32" 1080 TV for Christmas to replace the old 24" I was using. I have to say that makes for a better experience.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I run Zwift on an iPad mini and mirror it to my TV via older generation Apple TV. No problems. I think the new Apple TV would be the simplest and maybe even cheapest way to go, especially if you already have the TV.

Forever a Student
    LOL...a matter of philosophy. Where do you want to stream from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8xdmPupz7k

Lets say you don't want to go the Apple TV route. You want to stream Netflix. Download an app to laptop. HDMI out from Laptop to HDMI in on TV. If you want to go pure hard signal and not thru the air...you can even wire your laptop via Ethernet cable to your modem coming through the wall. Wifi can be a bit dodgy in some locations.

With Apple TV..you buy the device and yes plug it into the HDMI in on the TV.

A difference of philosophy which you prefer.

HDMI input on TV from Apple TV unit....not HDMI out from laptop to HDMI input on TV....how I wire my desktop for example to my big screen. I prefer my computer browser to crappy smart TV browser with inferior processor.

You don't need Apple TV for Zwift.
    I'm not sure you understand what's going on.

You don't need a computer to run Zwift, the Apple TV does it, it's a replacement for the computer. It is, in essence, it's own little computer.

All you need besides the Apple TV unit is a screen.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Apple TV (or iPad) works great!

The Slow One.
    The Apple TV does sound interesting if my Alienware ever dies.

I have an old 1st Gen laying around (upgraded to 2nd Gen), and coupled to a Apple wireless keyboard it might be a viable alternative (to hell with that little remote or using a smartphone to type). I'd want to hardwire it to my router, because my 1st Gen never was great at acquiring WiFi signals through walls.

I'm not sure what kind of processing and graphics capability it has for gaming, but it's intriguing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast