RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013

Impressions on Riding Road Bike with Child Trailer

Hi All,

I'm wondering if those of you can share with me your experiences of riding on the road with a child trailer. My wife has seen me get pretty serious in riding and she naturally wants to start riding with me. We have a 15month old and already have a burley trailer for mountain biking.

I want to encourage my wife to ride, so for us, the trailer is the only solution we have at the moment for our rides. I was wondering the thoughts about other people and how they have gone about riding with their spouses with trailers.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I would not take it on the actual road, but a MUP is a good way to ride with the family without much risk. The road bike will be fine with the trailer. Depending on your wife's fitness compared to yours, you may both get a good ride in if you pull the trailer and she rides without (ie: may not be too much of a speed difference).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    We used a Burly trailer for our kid 18-14 years ago. Mostly in Vermont.
    I pulled my daughter as she honked her dinosaur horn shouting "faster daddy faster" my wife was always behind us keeping an ear out for cars and trucks.

It was a great time Tiring, but great.

I would not ride in NYC or any other city.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I pull just a basic Schwinn trailer with my two year old in it. It's a good workout, only issues I've had is her getting bored and ready to go home....

Also, we I just ride her around in neighborhoods and school areas on the weekend. I won't take it on a real road.
    Last edited by ryuu55; 05-14-2013 at 11:26 AM. Reason: additional info

RoadBikeReview Member
    I did and will likely still do some trail a bike with my 5 yr old this season.

Route planning is key. Kids get bored and newb wives often like to stop to smell the roses at a scenic spot. An MUP with a play structure near a lake or river is nice. Pack a nice picnic too and take some toys or whatever the kid is into.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Here is my girl when she was 4 behind my Bianchi in a trailer.

GoPro Bicycle Seat Mount with kid trailer - YouTube

xxl
    banned
    Mar 2002
    Similar experience and counsel as many here: I enjoyed the hell out of our Burley, it's a great workout, and your speed doesn't really suffer like you think it would, just your acceleration and handling, kinda like a loaded tourer. I would never take it on a real road with any sort of traffic (maybe out in the boonies, but not around here).

And it's been awhile, but there's no feeling quite the feeling you get like passing a MUT road warrior in full poseur mode while towing that trailer.

Wait: You have a Burley trailer for mountain biking?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by albert1028 View Post
    Hi All,

I'm wondering if those of you can share with me your experiences of riding on the road with a child trailer. My wife has seen me get pretty serious in riding and she naturally wants to start riding with me. We have a 15month old and already have a burley trailer for mountain biking.

I want to encourage my wife to ride, so for us, the trailer is the only solution we have at the moment for our rides. I was wondering the thoughts about other people and how they have gone about riding with their spouses with trailers.

Thanks.
    We put roughly 25,000 miles on a trailer as our two kids grew (each was in the trailer for 3 years). Almost all of that was on open roads but traffic around here is light compared to what a lot of people face. Think of the trailer as a 60 lb. air brake and you will have a good sense of what pulling it will be like. Whether it slows you down enough so that your speed matches your spouse depends on how strong you and she are. One of our kids fell asleep shortly after we started the ride and the other one didn't like to sleep in the trailer. You can't predict how they will handle it. With the one who fought falling asleep, my wife rode behind and tried to keep her entertained.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I've never had a reason to use a trailer. My kids are in their 40s & I don't remember seeing trailers "back in the day." That said, I don't think I'd use one on any street or road. Maybe on a MUT. IME/IMO there's just too much danger out their to risk my kids.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.