RoadBikeReview Member

Question Info on "budget" magnetic trainers

I used to have a wind trainer that I used and never gave me any problems, but ended up misplacing it (think I left it at a race). Anyways, all the trainers by CycleOps are way too expensive for me and so I looked at ebay and found that there are magnetic trainers with 3-5 levels of resistance for around 50-60 bucks. I'm not sure if I can link them here, so if I can I will.

Are there any major drawbacks to getting one of these 'budget' type mag trainers? I know that my old wind trainer from the 70s never gave me any problems other than temporary hearing loss and I'm always worried about anything that has more technology (for lack of a better term) in it.

Also, I'm not interested in rollers for the person that will inevitably make that suggestion.

Thanks.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Just hang around at the start line of a few races.

Someone is bound to forget their trainer and you are set.

HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    Just hang around at the start line of a few races.

Someone is bound to forget their trainer and you are set.

HTH
    Was that supposed to be sarcastic and rude? Thanks.

Cranky Old Bastard
    I would see what models are available online, then google for reviews. The odds of someone on RBR owning the one you are interested in are slim.

I can't even tell you what model I have; I just bought the cheapest one my LBS had and didn't get the box.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I scored a fluid trainer on eBay for a very respectable price, so I think you're doing the right thing in your search for a mag trainer.

The resistance level adjustment is hardly necessary; you use your gears to adjust your resistance. A flywheel is nice to smooth things out but hardly necessary as well.

Some of the larger brands that sell both fluid and mag trainers use the same frame and merely substitute the resistance unit. They also use the same axle/bearings which is the real wear item. Less expensive models may have the bearings fail and I don't know if they're user replaceable. I'd stick with a popular brand name such as Blackburn, Cyclops, or Kurt because their frames are robust, easy to adjust, and durable, and I've heard no complaints about bearing failure.

Don't dismiss Craigslist for mag trainers as well. During my search I always kept an eye out for them and they'd pop up frequently. The benefit to Craigslist is you'll be able to try them in person before you buy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know that my reply doesnt answer the question regarding cheap mag trainer, but I just want to add another score for keeping an eye on ebay and craiglist. Sometimes you can get a really nice deal.

I was looking for a trainer, been looking on ebay and craiglist for a week. Suddenly an ad pop up, this lady want to sell her bike for $500, and she also want to unload her trainer for $30, by judging the pic, I knew it's Cycleops Fluid2, so I contacted her immediately before anyone snatched that, and the nice lady even gave me the mat and front wheel riser.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Save your rubles and get a fluid. Mags tend to rumble, its very annoying after a while. I am with the folks saying to watch craigs list. I got my cyclops fluid 2 for $75.00. its awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Re: Info on "budget" magnetic trainers

I always see a ton of used trainers at various Play It Again Sports stores. Went into one yesterday that had at least a dozen of them. The cheap mag ones start about $50 and go up from there. Might be worth a look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    My only experiance is with a cheap Bell trainer. Made a deal with a guy and we did some trading. All I can say is it works. My problem with it is that when I am really pushing hard it sounds like it's trying to come apart at the hub. Everything is tight and smooth. I don't know what the problem is.
    I started to use it in spin class. Decided that it was to noisy so now I just use one of the shops fluid trainers. If there aren't enouph trainers I would have no problem going back to my Bell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You mentioned the Cyclops, what's wrong with it? It's a well made unit for the money and it's a big name company not some fly by night no name generic chinese made piece of crap you got for cheap that breaks 2 years down the road. Besides the Cyclops is warrantied for life.

Sure the Fluid trainers are better but they cost more.

Another thing, if you're using the trainer outside before a race why not go back to a wind device? The noise outside won't matter.

For sure try to find a used one, people buy these things all the time, use it for a month or two then get bored to tears and they sit only to eventually get sold either on CL or a used sporting goods store.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."