Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Anyone ever do the Shimano customized insoles? I've bought several pairs of Shimano shoes that have customisable insoles. Problem is, you need to use a special machine to heat treat them and I've never been able to find a shop that has one -- not that I'd expect a warm welcome from one that did considering I bought the shoes on-line.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    This fellow I hike with says that these supportive insoles make your foot muscles weak, especially through the arch. Thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    This fellow I hike with says that these supportive insoles make your foot muscles weak, especially through the arch. Thoughts on that?
    Ask him which doctor he heard that from. It makes no sense considering that it's your posterior tibial tendon that holds up your arch.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Trigger Warning
    Do you have a medical condition? One leg longer than the other?

RoadBikeReview Member
    My feet may be weird. I've tried several brands and they are all terribly uncomfortable. The only thing that has ever worked for me is the extremely cheap Dr. Sholls foam liner, which is really no arch support at all. I've wasted a lot of money on these things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It's a chicken or the egg situation. He's kind of correct. But also correct is people who wear shoes and don't spend their days chasing lions barefooted will have weak arches relative for what's needed for hard exercise they do. So for most people the choice is between arch support or pain/injury. Not a choice between arch support and strong muscles in the foot.

If you want to google more info. you might want to look into runner information. There are runners who run bare foot for reasons you're buddy mentioned.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    It's a chicken or the egg situation. He's kind of correct. But also correct is people who wear shoes and don't spend their days chasing lions barefooted will have weak arches relative for what's needed for hard exercise they do. So for most people the choice is between arch support or pain/injury. Not a choice between arch support and strong muscles in the foot.

If you want to google more info. you might want to look into runner information. There are runners who run bare foot for reasons you're buddy mentioned.
    I guess that would be why people like the shoes w/ minimal support...like the Nike Free .
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    My feet shape size and biomechanics are different than yours. You don't know what mine are and I don't know what yours are.

Not all feet need orthotics or some type of "support" device. In fact, many and perhaps most need nothing special or additional.

Those that do need them need ones that are specifically designed for their feet or foot issue/type AND the activity that they will be used for and in what type of shoe.

There are rigid orthotics. Semi-rigid orthotics. Flexible orthotics. Orthodics for straight line running such as conventional running and there are orthotics specifically for multidirectional activities such as tennis or basketball.

If you don't have a problem you probably don't need anything. If you do the only solution other than lucking out is to go to a sports podiatrist and have your feet evaluated along with your input to get what you need. That's the lock stock and barrel.

If you self-diagnose, listen to others non-detailed relevant experiences and testimonials or their condemnation of some product on their feet and experiences of which you have no relevant knowledge about and then try what they succeeded or failed with you really haven't learned anything to help you in most cases.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I guess that would be why people like the shoes w/ minimal support...like the Nike Free .
    yes, exactly the idea behind shoes like those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    I also worked with Bill Peterson to have orthotics made. If you are close to MA. try Sara Bresnick, she is a cycling coach, PT and also makes fantastic cycling and everyday orthotics. http://www.pedalpowercoaching.com

Adventure Seeker
    I'm curious for those that say they make the shoe too tight: did you take out the insole that came with it first? Cycling specific insoles are too be used as a replacement. Also as said already; to align the knees to reduce injury, and to improve power transfer since the knees aren't going side to side.
    That being said, a good fitter will let you know if your knees don't track straight or not.
    Next time you are on a big group ride, watch other's knees. Some might make you almost laugh. They're probably getting a lot of knee pain though.
    I have a single track mind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12