RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

integrated headset????

so what, exactly is an integrated headset and what are the advantages or disadvantages?
    thanks.

NS Bikes Analog City Bike 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles

is riding in MOPP4
    Headset Standards | Park Tool

Integrated headsets look more streamlined because you don't need bearing cups; the bearings simply drop into the head tube. You save a few grams due to the lack of cups. All things equal, your stack height will be lower. It's also the easiest to service.

Some will argue that integrated headsets will wear out rendering the frame useless. Maybe, but if you have it properly installed and adjusted, then you'll probably get rid of the bike before that happens.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Either is fine. Advantages and disadvantages is n/a to all but marketers and riders who subject themselves to paralysis by analysis. Either system does the same job for the rest of us.

One thing to watch for though it proprietary headsets. I'd stay away from anything that might be hard to get years later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by charliethetuna View Post
    so what, exactly is an integrated headset and what are the advantages or disadvantages?
    thanks.

NS Bikes Analog City Bike 2017 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    In olden times (a few years ago), headsets had cups that were pressed into the headtube. Most bikes today have integrated headsets. There are multiple types. There are those where the headtube is machined to an angle and the headtube become the race for the bearings. Sometimes there is a separate race that sits in there. In theory these types of the downside that if something goes wrong the frame can be damaged. Then there is the type where there is a ridge and a cartridge bearing just sits in there. From the ad you can't really tell what headset it uses. I suspect you'll be able to find parts so I wouldn't sweat it too much

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Got one bike (mtb) with an integrated headset... I'm sure that it could wear out, but for me I thought it was the greatest thing since a-head stems. Makes it so easy to change a headset.
    All the gear and no idea

is riding in MOPP4
    I think the headsets that have cups pressed into the frame are known as internal headsets. Integrated headsets by definition have no cups and the bearings just drop into the appropriately machined head tube.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

Banned forever.....or not
    Change????...My CK No threadset is 15 years old, and is on the first set of bearings. (80,000+ miles)....They were a lot cheaper 15 years ago.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    for me, instead of change I probably shold have said install, a million times easier to install, you just plonk it in there and do i all up. My ritche has been in there for 7 years without an issue, on another bike, my CK has also been fine, but took a trip to the shop to get installed.
    Having said that, in 25 years of mtbing, have only replaced 1 headset ever over 8 bikes (and I still own 5 of them).
    All the gear and no idea