Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014

ISO: helmet for oval/narrow large head - 60cm/23.75in circumference

My LBS doesn't have a helmet that fits me quite right. I am now soliciting the internets for suggestions for a helmet. All the threads I've found are old and opinions indicate that brands/models fit have flip flopped over the years.

Looking for a helmet that will fit me. Preference is <$100, but don't hold back! Safety is a concern for me, which starts with a proper fitting helmet.

Thanks in advance!

RoadBikeReview Member
    What brands/models have you tried, and what has been wrong with them (or, how bad have they been)? That information would help you get more useful responses.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    That's a great point. And like a jerk I don't remember the names that didn't work. The Specialized Echelon 2 medium almost fit (good width), but they were out of large sizes across the board.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    for years I thought I was the only human with an oval head. Two years ago I bought a specialized helmet for around $130 nicely vented super light. Now Im not knocking specialized helmets but last summer I was on a fifty mile hill challenge and around 35 miles I got a hot spot on the forehead and the back of the head. I loosened the helmet all the way but it kept hitting the hot spots. painful and distracting !even a close fit is not a good fit! from then on I have been trying on helmets every time I drive by a bike shop. and for my two cents the best fit so far is ~ drum roll please, Giro Atmos. Im not saying go buy it as much as Im saying go try it on along with many others !!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    You feel my pain, and I yours! I will definitely add that to my list. The problem I face is I live in a small city in central virginia, not too many options as far as LBS. I will most likely wait for more responses, then order and return. I'd pay more in gas than shipping (next closest LBS is an hour).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    I guess Im lucky to live up here between to very snowy and cold cities Akron and Cleveland Ha ! but the bright side is the cities are supporting cycling and cycling is supporting the local bike shops ! IM still trying on helmets for now, at least in till the snow melts. if I find something that fits even better Ill keep ya posted. and Im going to compare a few more before I buy! ! !

Token Sprinter
    I've got a big head that's pretty oval as well. I went to a Performance Bike and tried on every helmet they had. Ended up going with a Giro Monza as it was the best fit by far. Got an Air Attack last year as well and it also fits pretty well, albeit not quite as well as the Monza.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrboy View Post
    for years I thought I was the only human with an oval head. Two years ago I bought a specialized helmet for around $130 nicely vented super light. Now Im not knocking specialized helmets but last summer I was on a fifty mile hill challenge and around 35 miles I got a hot spot on the forehead and the back of the head. I loosened the helmet all the way but it kept hitting the hot spots. painful and distracting !even a close fit is not a good fit! from then on I have been trying on helmets every time I drive by a bike shop. and for my two cents the best fit so far is ~ drum roll please, Giro Atmos. Im not saying go buy it as much as Im saying go try it on along with many others !!!!
    I'll second the Giro Atmos. I got the same hot spot on forehead the first few months, but kind of broke it in. The other helmet that fits this egghead is the Giro Pneumo. They've got a little more "skirt" on the forehead, not hugging it quite as snug as the Atmos. I think they're still being made.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 01-18-2015 at 05:28 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I have similar shaped noggin and have found the Bell Sweep to fit quite well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    I too have found that bell helmets fit rather well, more over I found that bell and giro had a recall on some helmets and turns out they are the same company in some fashion. I have been trying to find the bell's version of the atmos ? cuz I could save some shinny pennies just cuz its says (BELL) yet all I can find is that they want the same amount ( $ ) for the Bell's in the nicely vented , light weight, adjustment ego's, comfort pads, and more. I dont find there colors with the bell's as to my liking tho

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Funny, i have a "rounded" head with 59cm, and it's a pain in the ass to find helmet that's comfortable. Many manufacturer have large or XL at 59~63CM, but almost all of them don't fit me, because almost all of them are designed for Oval head, they all pinch the sides of my head, there are plenty of fore/after room, just not wide enough for my head.

So, if i were to list these helmets, they're probably what you're looking for:
    All Specialized helmets (even their XL designed helmet)
    All Giro helmets
    (Except only one that works for me was Atlas, now called Bishop, $45), give that one a try.
    All Trek helmets
    Louis Garneau helmets

RoadBikeReview Member
    Long oval here and I found the Echelon to fit much better than the Prevail. I tried on several Mavic helmets at the store and as I recall they fit pretty well to.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    Ok Ive tried on a few more helmets. I looked into catlike helmets but could not find any up here in C~town.........
    1 Uvex race it was more roundish than oval for me.
    2 Uvex I-vo was a nice fit. just didnt care for the color's....
    3. POC too round !
    4 Giro savant, so far this is the best fitting helmet for me....

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    The Las helmets that's I've tried on fit my oval head well. Which is a bit of a suprise because any other Italian brands that I've tried were way to round fitting (for me). The quality is really good too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    The Las helmets that's I've tried on fit my oval head well. Which is a bit of a suprise because any other Italian brands that I've tried were way to round fitting (for me). The quality is really good too.
    It's been years since I've tried one on but Bell helmets always seemed to fit my huge but oval head well compared to most Euro brands.
    I remember trying on a Rudy helmet once and it was great but I've tried on others and they were way to round.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Hi folks - this is a huge topic for me. Threads on this are littered with people thinking big = oval, and there is so much inconsistency even between years of manufacture within the same helmet line.

I have a very long oval head (motorcycle helmet = Arai Profile only and even then I get the forehead spots).

As of 2017, the only bike helmet I have found that (almost) works is the Lazer O2 (not true that they are all round). I tried as many Specialized I could get my hands on and none worked. I remember the Prevail especially being a let-down.

There is conflicting commentary out there about the Kask Mojito, but consistently, people recommend the Limar Ultralight (which I do not like the look of at all!).

Does anyone please have an up-to-date recommendation? I'd love to get a Giro, Kask or Catlike... but I'd take almost anything!

Thanks all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorPossum View Post
    Hi folks - this is a huge topic for me. Threads on this are littered with people thinking big = oval, and there is so much inconsistency even between years of manufacture within the same helmet line.

I have a very long oval head (motorcycle helmet = Arai Profile only and even then I get the forehead spots).

As of 2017, the only bike helmet I have found that (almost) works is the Lazer O2 (not true that they are all round). I tried as many Specialized I could get my hands on and none worked. I remember the Prevail especially being a let-down.

There is conflicting commentary out there about the Kask Mojito, but consistently, people recommend the Limar Ultralight (which I do not like the look of at all!).

Does anyone please have an up-to-date recommendation? I'd love to get a Giro, Kask or Catlike... but I'd take almost anything!

Thanks all.
    Too funny. Long oval head here size Large and own an Arai Profile motorcycle helmet I can't part with...even though motorcycle is gone....love motorcycles but hate the way people drive and I want my arms and legs intact for cycling.

As to cycling....Giro Savant I picked up late last year and can even fit a medium which is nice...opened up a bit. Giro like Bell makes a great helmet.

So if long oval head OP, look at Giro...Savant is a great value...light and airy with good ventilation....decent look.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks all.
    I have what is most likely considered a pretty oval dome. I have a Kask Protone and like it a lot. Tried on a few different Kask models and they were close but definitely try them on. I had to borrow a POC Octal one time and that was pretty darn comfortable as well.

Low rep power

Thanks all.
    Lazer Genesis here. Best fit I've found so far.
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

ďThe problem with quotes on the internet is that itís hard to verify their authenticityĒ Ė Abraham Lincoln

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Long oval head here. I mean very long oval The only helmets Iíve found that somewhat fit are Giro Savant and Kask Mojito, both in XL. Down side is that there is quite a big gap between my temples and the helmet. Iím currently using Specialized Prevail but it fit only after shaving off tons of materialÖ I know the helmet doesnít protect as well now but itís better than nothing.

So those two (Savant and Mojito) are worth the shot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Finftw View Post
    So those two (Savant and Mojito) are worth the shot.
    I'm still trying on different helmets... I got Kask Mojito (XL) but ended up selling it as the back didn't get low enough. Bell Falcon (XL) fits much like Giro Savant (non-Mips) but looks more mushroom in my head so I'm leaning towards Savant. I have to say the non-Mips version fits better than the Mips.

So far the only helmets that fit without any modifications (all in XL):
    -Giro Savant (non-Mips)
    -Bell Falcon
    -Kask Mojito (somewhat fits)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finftw View Post
    Iím currently using Specialized Prevail but it fit only after shaving off tons of materialÖ I know the helmet doesnít protect as well now but itís better than nothing.
    Wait, what? You took a dremel like tool to your helmet to modify it to fit? This is 2018, you can't tell me you can't order a few and pick the one that fits best. Why must you physically compromise the structural integrity of your helmet in order to find a fitting helmet?

You are making it more difficult than it needs to be.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    You are making it more difficult than it needs to be.
    No, I sure don't. I live in a major metropolitan area that has tons of bike shops and I have visited more stores than I can count.

Above I listed 3 helmets that fit. But to be clear... none of them fit great. Huge spaces between the the helmet and my temples. The only way to get these helmets not to rock side-to-side is to tighten them so tight that after couple hours of riding my head hurts.

When I go to a new bike shop I ask what helmets they have and explain how I have narrow but long (oval) head and have hard time finding one that fits well. The reply is always "oh we have a helmet for you". So far... none have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Big mellon guy as well. I have been trying road helmets for a year. Nothing is a good fit to date. Iíve had luck with a full face downhill helmet from Fox.

Please post up how your search goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a giant head as well. Sunglasses are tough to find and fit, unless they are something like 64-18-64. Just bough a pair of Maui Jim Red Sands which fit great. Anyhow, I have a Giro Aeon and wore it for 4+ years, fits great, of course there is room in the temple area, but I don't expect a custom fit. I just recently tried on a Specialized Prevail II and it was a no go. I may have to go with another Giro, but I am really lusting after a POC. I have to try one of those on.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast