RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

It's come down to this......CAAD9-5 vs. Trek 2.1

So I've basically beat back the flood of bike info that I've been scrounging through over the last few months and narrowed my choices down to either a 2010 CAAD9-5 or a Trek 2.1. Both seem to ride relatively similar, coming from a MTB world that might not be the case, but to me it is. I can't seem to really decide which one to go after. I had considered the Trek because the shop is literally 15mins away and the Cannondale dealer is 1.5hrs so routine checkups might be a bit of stretch for the CAAD, unless I take it to the Trek guy which I'm sure he'd love. Both are relatively close in price $1249 for the 2.1 and $1349 for the CAAD so that's bunk, except I could put that $100 towards pedals which I need to ride. The LBS guy tried to push a 2.3 but I want to stay as close to $1200-$1300 as possible and he didn't want to move from $1549. Any thoughts on this little dilemma?

Just Plain Bitter
    CAAD 9-5 because it is a better bike in my opinion but also to avoid the stigma of riding a Trek in the Lounge. 1.5 hours for a tune-up is a bit much of a drive I must say though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I don't know why but I feel like a groupie almost for considering the Trek, but on the other hand my wallet and desire to stay local pull me in. Maybe I should just move closer to the Cannondale dealer.

Just Plain Bitter
    In all honesty I have many friends riding Trek bikes and they are good reliable bikes. I am always tongue in cheek when it comes to Trek and anyone buying one. I m a fan of Cannondale but driving 1.5 hours for a tune up adds an unreasonable cost of ownership to the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a Trek 2.3 and a 2.1 that I upgraded to a full 105 group (like the factory 2.3). I am completely satisfied with both. Trek's warranty is superb, BTW.

Both are awsome to ride but I'd recommend "stretching" to get the 2.3. Try bargaining for the shop to throw in the pedals. The money will be well spent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Is this a case of them both offerering free labor/tune ups? Otherwise why even factor in where the dealers are?

Yeah I can see where if you have a warranty issue you'd want to work it out in person but given the likelihood and frequency of that driving 1.5 hour wouldn't be that big of a deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Go Cannondale. The distance to the shops should be of little consideration, given that if shops offer any service deals to customers, they usually last for only a year -- ie after a year, the Trek dealer will charge you just as much for servicing your Trek as your Cannondale. And like a previous poster said, get the Cannondale guy to throw in the pedals -- tell him you are considering the Trek for the pedal-price-difference .

I have to admit a bias though -- I am philosophically opposed to Trek .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    1.5 hours away is a dealbreaker, doesn't matter which bike's better at that point

in terms of your time and effort, you'd probably get better service from an online vendor than a shop that far away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    If you ever plan to race then get the best aluminum racing frame made, IMHO - the CAAD9.

Otherwise, get the one that you love more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I would go with the Trek, but I would really try to push for the 2.3. I know its going slightly over your budget, but if you can get into the 105 grouppo it will be money well spent. I used to have a CAAD4, but I have nothing but contempt for that bike after the 3 hard years I trained and slaved over it. I don't think I would ever go Cannondale ever again.

As far as bang for your buck goes, 105 is absolutely amazing. Tiagra is just a pain in the ass from both the riding perspective and the mechanical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    I think there's some misunderstanding on the 2.1 vs 2.3

both are 105, the only non 105 parts on the 2.1 are the brakes and cranks (both are 105 on the 2.3)

basically the only upgrade on the 2.3 is better wheels, is that price difference worth it for basically just wheels?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    CAAD9, period! It's a better RIDING bike all the way around...and it's not a Trek!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe
    I think there's some misunderstanding on the 2.1 vs 2.3

both are 105, the only non 105 parts on the 2.1 are the brakes and cranks (both are 105 on the 2.3)

basically the only upgrade on the 2.3 is better wheels, is that price difference worth it for basically just wheels?
    This is the truth. I ride a 2010 2.1. It's a great bike and I like it a lot. However, I was a little disappointed when I found out how much it weighed compared to the 2009 CAAD 9-5 my friend just bought. My stock bike weighed 21.7 lbs with nothing on it but Shimano PD-R540 pedals. My friend's Cannondale with only speedplay pedals (probably a little bit lighter than mine) weighed 19.4 lbs. Both are 60 cm frames with 105, of course I believe his has 105 brakes and crank and mine has tiagra brakes and an R600 crank.

Apparently from the specs I've found online, my stock Bontrager SSR wheels weigh like 2100-2200grams. I'm probably going to upgrade the wheels soon (thinking about Neuvation R28s) and that should get me a bit closer to the 20 lb mark. BTW, I don't think the wheels on the 2.3 are a huge upgrade, from the specs I found online they weigh about 1900 gr.

-Rob

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    If it was rotational weight I'd be more concerned with the Trek frame weighing more than the CAAD, I can lose 2lbs of MY frame and take care of that issue. I also know that it would also mean that I would be lighter on the CAAD but it's not a big deal if one is 1-2lbs more. As far as the 2.3 goes, I tried to get them to budge on the price of $1549 and they won't go, plus they don't have any in stock and they only have access to about 10 of them from the regional warehouse so it might not be available by the time I get the cash. Would I really notice a huge difference just from the crank, brakes and wheels? This IS going to be my first road bike so it's all new to me, I honestly probably won't know the difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PABikeguy
    If it was rotational weight I'd be more concerned with the Trek frame weighing more than the CAAD, I can lose 2lbs of MY frame and take care of that issue. I also know that it would also mean that I would be lighter on the CAAD but it's not a big deal if one is 1-2lbs more. As far as the 2.3 goes, I tried to get them to budge on the price of $1549 and they won't go, plus they don't have any in stock and they only have access to about 10 of them from the regional warehouse so it might not be available by the time I get the cash. Would I really notice a huge difference just from the crank, brakes and wheels? This IS going to be my first road bike so it's all new to me, I honestly probably won't know the difference.
    That was my point about the differences between the 2.1 and 2.3, I don't think think it will be a big enough difference to warrant the extra cost. In regards to rotational weight vs. frame weight, I realize the difference; that's why I was looking at upgrading my wheels first. I think the wheels on my friend's CAAD are supposed to weigh around 1700gr. so that is not quite a pound of the weight difference, and it is rotational weight. I figure I should be able to notice at least a little bit of a difference when climbing when I get some lighter wheels. Honestly, I doubt I'll upgrade anything else. I've been riding the bike for about 4 months and like it a lot.

-Rob

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Well that's good to know that you like the bike. I know that if I upgrade anything it will be the wheels first. Sounds like you are in the same mindset that I am considering the wheels. I figured you knew about the rotational weight, so no disrespect. What wheels are you looking at?

RoadBikeReview Member
    CAAD9!
    Trek is for pansies.

Pusher of Pedals
    Get the Cannondale. I have an 09 CAAD9 5 and it is awesome. It's stiff, responsive, and just plain FUN to ride. You might think of upgrading the saddle along with the wheels. I think I took it in for maintenance 2 times the whole first year I had it, and one time was for a defective brifter.

That said, I have no XP with the Trek. Maybe ask around about the customer service offered at the Cannondale shop vs. the Trek shop. Personally, customer service AFTER the sale is a HUGE influence on where I buy bikes and parts.

But, that's just me. My favorite LBS deals in Treks and Cannondales and they are awesome. Best of luck to you, whichever bicycle you decide to purchase.
    "'Are people seriously this stupid?'

Yes, they are. If you assume that everyone is stupid, then you are never disappointed in them when they demonstrate their stupidity." - foggypeake

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    The Cannondale dealer also deals Trek but the local dealer is Trek/Felt. I'll have to double check the two dealers again about their after the sale service.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky_88007

That said, I have no XP with the Trek. Maybe ask around about the customer service offered at the Cannondale shop vs. the Trek shop. Personally, customer service AFTER the sale is a HUGE influence on where I buy bikes and parts.

is it even possible to have good after sale service if it's a 3 hour round trip to get to the store?

if the problem requires leaving the bike there, you're out 6 hours... at that point, even if they give you a massage and a sandwich, that's still not a winning combo due to the time wasted.