Roadbikereview member

Talking It's here...Status Carb

Picked up my new frame and fork, Fondriest Status Carb. The frame with headset weigh in at 1.7 lbs size 52cm also got the FSA Energy compact crank with ti b/b. More to come.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's here...Status Carb-fond11.jpg   It's here...Status Carb-fond02.jpg   It's here...Status Carb-fond03.jpg   It's here...Status Carb-fond07.jpg  

Looks sweet! Are you sure it's only 771 grams for steel frame with headset?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

off on the weight..

Quote Originally Posted by rfrancisco
    Picked up my new frame and fork, Fondriest Status Carb. The frame with headset weigh in at 1.7 lbs size 52cm also got the FSA Energy compact crank with ti b/b. More to come.
    Nice frame, but it has to weigh a lot more than that. It's advertised at 2.97 lbs in a 54cm, without headset. If it was that light, they'd be advertsing it as the world's lightest steel frame.

http://www.fondriest-usa.com/framese...ame=statuscarb

Click on the specs for the weight of frame and fork.

EuroCrash

Good choice, but I may be biased.....

Love the ride - notice the silver finish when you get it in sunlight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's here...Status Carb-statuscarb.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member

Wow!!!

Super nice rig, congrats!!

I can't help but gush over a nice quality steel frame. In my opinion, steel is hard to beat when all things are considered; ride quality, stiffness, cost, ect.

In particular I like that Fondriest is still using a standard headset on at least some frames.

Regarding the frame specs, one needs to be careful when reading Euro frame specs. For example, the angle measurements are often listed in Degrees, Minuets. Using this system, a seat tube angle of 73.45 is 73 degrees, 45 minuets (or 73.75 decimal degrees).

Great frame, enjoy.

Ed

Roadbikereview member

Fondriest weigh

Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    Nice frame, but it has to weigh a lot more than that. It's advertised at 2.97 lbs in a 54cm, without headset. If it was that light, they'd be advertsing it as the world's lightest steel frame.

http://www.fondriest-usa.com/framese...ame=statuscarb

Click on the specs for the weight of frame and fork.
    I put the frame on the bikeshop scale @ A Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito, CA.. I think the 2.97 lbs is the weigh of the frame and fork together. The tubes are really lite, the down tube is bell shape and the top tube is oval. The welds are smooth and even all around.

Best regards
    Rick

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

dreaming..

I put the frame on the bikeshop scale @ A Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito, CA.. I think the 2.97 lbs is the weigh of the frame and fork together. The tubes are really lite, the down tube is bell shape and the top tube is oval. The welds are smooth and even all around.

Best regards
    Rick
    The advertised weight of the frame and fork is 1.71kg or 3.77 lbs. The scale at your bike shop must be way off. The weight that you quote would be less than just about any frame in the world, even the lightest Al or Carbon would be heavier.

Roadbikereview member

Scale in Kilograms ?

The advertised weight of the frame and fork is 1.71kg or 3.77 lbs. The scale at your bike shop must be way off. The weight that you quote would be less than just about any frame in the world, even the lightest Al or Carbon would be heavier.
    I think the scale could have been in kilograms, not lbs. maybe thats why I was so shocked I'll ask the shop owner today.(Joy of getting a new toy made me crazy)

Best regards
    Rick

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

no more standard headsets...

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism

In particular I like that Fondriest is still using a standard headset on at least some frames.

Ed
    Fondriest has discontinued production of all the previous Al and steel frames with conventional headsets. The models being purchased now are all 2003 leftovers (I got one last year). All Fondriest makes now is carbon frames with integrated headsets.

eminence grease
    All Fondriest makes now is carbon frames with integrated headsets.
    I was getting the impression they are trying to push the carbon product very hard - as in nothing new in aluminum or steel. I too got mine (Top Level) as part of their first price reduction, and they still seem to be driving most of them down. The one I'm waiting on though is the Carb Level Plus, because I really want one in Monumental. Its price doesn't seem to be budging though, and even with the $250 survey deal they're offering it's still over $2K. A bit much for a paint job, even for me.

Are you sure they aren't making any aluminum anymore? In Europe they're still listed as current product but with newer integrated headsets.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by divve
    Are you sure they aren't making any aluminum anymore? In Europe they're still listed as current product but with newer integrated headsets.
    I'm not sure, I'm just interpreting their recent offerings here, which are all carbon. I was at the Euro site this morning and saw all those other models too.

In my case, it's wishful thinking because I want to see that Carb Level Plus at $1499.