Calm like a Bomb..

Jacket or LS Jersey for Winter

I am torn between getting a nice light jacket or a nice LS jersey for winter riding. I feel a jacket is more versatile as you can take it off, probably better for rain also.

What do you prefer and why?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Really depends on the wind. Even a light wind can bite right through you in colder temperatures. I have some long sleeved thermal jerseys, and even with a base layer, they're not great when there's a wind. You really need a wind blocking jacket, or at least a vest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Depends on the temperature. You're probably going to need both.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You might be surprised at how well a LS jersey and a good thermal/wind blocker vest will take you. It's a very versatile combo.
    Wind chill is a factor when the temps drop.
    If you can be more specific where you are and the temps you intend to ride in, the better the reply will be.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    If you're considering either a jacket or a LS jersey I'm guessing you live where it's not very cold. I never buy LS jerseys. Instead I have SS jerseys and a couple of sets of arm warmers. If it gets too hot you can just roll the arm warmers down so they're around your wrists or take them off. They fold up into a very small rectangle about half the size of a wallet & about half as thick.
    Don't believe everything you think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stunzeed View Post
    I am torn between getting a nice light jacket or a nice LS jersey for winter riding. I feel a jacket is more versatile as you can take it off, probably better for rain also.

What do you prefer and why?

Wow, it's "the worldwide web".....what's "winter" to YOU?

Are you in Russia, where maybe it's 2 degrees in winter? Singapore, where it's hot and humid even in the "winter"? Seattle rain? Miami sun? Chicago wind and cold? Location might help you compare notes

RoadBikeReview Member
    "If you're considering either a jacket or a LS jersey I'm guessing you live where it's not very cold. I never buy LS jerseys. Instead I have SS jerseys and a couple of sets of arm warmers. If it gets too hot you can just roll the arm warmers down so they're around your wrists or take them off. They fold up into a very small rectangle about half the size of a wallet & about half as thick."

^^+1
    This is an excellent point if you are more temperate clime and can get away with that.
    A base under the jersey will also add some warmth too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    redundant post
    Last edited by johnlh; 11-09-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: redundant post

Calm like a Bomb..
    Well I'm in Portland, or so not too cold but definitely gets in the high 30's

Calm like a Bomb..
    I own a jacket just want to invest in something nicer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlh View Post
    Give us your location too. 40F might be a balmy winter day for someone in Colorado, or an inside trainer day for someone in Southern California. I would take a short-sleeved jersey, arm warmers, and a nylon jack before a long-sleeved jersey.
    I'm in around Toronto, Canada with a LS jersey and a wind blocker vest; I can ride down to freezing temps(0C or 32F).
    For the lower half; winter bib-shorts with thermal leg warmers.
    Shoe covers and gloves of course.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd go with a light jacket. I wear mine over light long sleeve undershirt (like Craft or Patagonia capilene) if it's not too cold, or over a short sleeve jersey with arm warmers if it's a little colder. Wearing the jacket over a long sleeve jersey usually ends with me soaking wet, taking off the jacket or unzipping it and the jersey.

Unrepentant Mountainbiker
    I'm good to about 20F with a base layer, fleece jersey, and softshell jacket. Windstopper tights, wool socks, and Neoprene booties over the shoes cover the bottom half. I wear Swix XC ski gloves (they make your hands look like lobster claws) and my digits rarely get tingly. If it's really cold, I will add a layer and drop some chemical toe warmers into my shoes to keep the toes from getting frostbit.
    It's no fun unless it hurts!

Hanging 10 bra
    I always ride with something layers that can be easily removed during the ride. Of course its not stupid cold here like up north, but under armour cold gear and arm warmers usually do the trick. However, having a good vest is crucial in staying warm, as it blocks a lot of the cold winds from your core.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stunzeed View Post
    Well I'm in Portland...
    Oregon? Maine? Connecticut? Michigan? Texas? Ontario, Canada? South coast of Engalnd?
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    For versatility, look for a jacket that has removable sleeves; i.e. converts to a vest. Most of my rides are in the morning, so it starts off cold and temps can warm up as much as 15-20 deg during the ride, as I warm up also.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Get both.
    The bigger selection of cycling wear that you have the easier it is to dress for the current conditions and ride intensity.

irony intended
    Just buy one, maybe two, of EVERYTHING...

...and it has to be ASSOS

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Its AZ weather so take it with a grain of salt (not road salt), but i wear a long sleeve thermal under a light windbreaker for 40* mornings. Does the trick. For rain on the few occasions it does Ive worn a fleece lined softshell that Ive treated with a waterproofer (also my hiking/outdoor use jacket) Its bulkier than id like but was sub $100 and very comfortable. I havent gone to tights yet but Im cogitating on the idea of value vs performance for this climate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shnipe View Post
    I havent gone to tights yet but Im cogitating on the idea of value vs performance for this climate.
    Knickers