Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All I wanted was a Pepsi!

Jerseys as "Civilian" Clothes?

I have a couple of jerseys that are too big, when I ride in them they tend to flap around and generally annoy the crap out of me.

I have a Saeco Cannondale jersey that is pretty comfortable otherwise and thought it would be pretty cool. I doubt anyone would know what it's for, but it's got handy built-in pockets!

Does anyone wear jerseys in normal situations? Is this some kind of faux paux or is it more along the lines of wearing football jerseys?

No, I'm not wearing the shorts off the bike.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

RoadBikeReview Member

Cool

All cycling specific clothes look ridiculous if worn more than 5 ft away from a bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by torquecal
    All cycling specific clothes look ridiculous if worn more than 5 ft away from a bike
    That last part just made my day.

Thanks.

huge dork
    you could even argue they look ridiculous even when you're on the bike.

Cycling 4 Life

id wear em...

i just bought a Mapei and maglia rosa that i plan to wear during the summer. i could care less what ppl think...

i would be proud to show em off.

remodeling...me
    I have a new pair of knit armwarmers that I scored at a swap meet that I have been dying to wear. They make sense in civilian life too. Where I spend my days the heat is set dangerousy high and have to run in and out of buildings all day, hot-cold-hot-cold. The armskins would be easier that taking my sweatshirt on and off all day.Waddya Say?
    Zeytin

"Wow, Alex...way to pee in the guy's Wheaties..." ~Opus51569

Cycling 4 Life

agree

i helped out at my race today and stood out in the rain for 3 hours. luckily, one of my 'mates gave me his arm warmers cuz he didnt wanna use em. i pulled em on and it kept me warm and happy...

arm warmers is a very practical article of clothing

Cannot bench own weight
    If I saw someone walking around in a cycling jersey, I would assume they are about to, or have just got done riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've definitely worn jerseys at danceclubs when I was a younger and single man. I fugured if all the homies were there sporting Basketball and football jerseys; why not my favorite team? Plus; if you dance hard enough to sweat it still looks sharp, unlike anything cotton.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Sure

I wore my long sleeve Campy jersey all over London and got a couple of compliments. As long as it's comfortable, I'll wear it.

rebounder

ill second that

long sleeve jerseys, jackets, even team caps are great. short sleeve jerseys IMO look really silly. i have a couple retro long sleeve jerseys that i wear around when i feel like standing out from the crowd. definitely more people (women) notice that than a regular t shirt or button down. my goal for this spring is to make cycling jerseys popular amongst rappers, thereby forever corrupting the sport i love...

p.s. anything postal or discovery is off limits. thats just too much. but, most people have never heard of phonak or t-mobile, so if you must wear current, popular jerseys, start there.

Get me to In&Out

Thumbs up

I too have a few jerseys that are a touch large for biking. I instead use them for running on my "off" days during the spring and summer. The pockets in the back are fantastic for holding gu flasks of water for runs over an hour. Plus the packet of carb-boom is a great booster at the mid point of a six mile run.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

The further away....

Someone a while back wrote that bike cloths look increasingly dorkier in direct proportion do the distance the wearer is from thier bike. I tend to agree.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by lemonlime
    Does anyone wear jerseys in normal situations? Is this some kind of faux paux or is it more along the lines of wearing football jerseys?.
    NO, NO NO NO,NO, A HUNDRED TIMES NO!
    That's just uber-geeky. Makes the rest of us look bad.

Having said that, I find that my winter jerseys do fine double duty for running and cross country skiing.

What did you say? Huh?

2 pennies

All I have to add is 'Biker Fox'

RoadBikeReview Member
    My memory is a little foggy, but I think I remember reading basically the same comment in one of Bicycling mag's "Styleman" columns.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2003
    Since I ride a 2003 Giant Composite I found some killer deals on 01 02 and 03 team ONCE Pink TDF stuff. I like it because I am very visible but I do get "interesting" reactions. It seems to be a love it or hate it sorta reaction. Had people (non riders) come up to me asking how I could be caught dead wearing it, others give me the thumbs up.

My daughter had a friend call her one day to say she was me on my bike that day on our street (I assume she had never seen me decked out before). Her only comment was: Oh my!!!!!!!!! Hey I thought that was Dick Enberg's line.

There are 3 things this kit has going for it.

1. Was worn by the TDF team that used my bike

2. I am highly visible

3. It was dirt cheap and is quality Giordana for 1/3 the price of anything else half the quality.

Even when I wear something else it is bike jersey only. I have stuffed a dozen ears of corn from the farmer in my back pockets, and often am stuffed up the wazoo back there.

BS the DC
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonlime
    Does anyone wear jerseys in normal situations? Is this some kind of faux paux or is it more along the lines of wearing football jerseys?
    No, don't wear your cycling jersey around town. If "faux paux" is French for "getting the crap beat out of you" then yes, it's a faux paux. The guys beating the crap out of you will be wearing football jersey's. Understand, riding a bike is the athletic equivalent to being in band in high school. It's not cool. Wearing your band jacket doesn't impress anyone ... including the people in band.
    "The team wasn't just riders. It was the mechanics, masseurs, chefs, soigneurs, and doctors. But the most important man on the team may have been the chiropractor."

- Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    you guys have to be kidding me that you're going to wear arm warmers and jerseys off the bike. what a bunch of retards. like it's already not a tough enough uphill battle to get the public to take bikers seriously, you're going to start showing up to work in arm warmers because you dont want to wear a sweatshirt? jesus, what's happening to people?

also, jersey's off the bike are uncool. they're just as uncool as the fat thug in a ravens jersey on the street. wear it playing the sport/riding the bike. if you're wearing it around off the playing field it means that you have issues about needing to be perceived as something you're not.

AJS
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by c_dale
    you guys have to be kidding me that you're going to wear arm warmers and jerseys off the bike. what a bunch of retards. like it's already not a tough enough uphill battle to get the public to take bikers seriously, you're going to start showing up to work in arm warmers because you dont want to wear a sweatshirt? jesus, what's happening to people?

also, jersey's off the bike are uncool. they're just as uncool as the fat thug in a ravens jersey on the street. wear it playing the sport/riding the bike. if you're wearing it around off the playing field it means that you have issues about needing to be perceived as something you're not.
    Yep, you must have "issues" if you show support for your favorite team.

Of course, a decent jersey under a set of bib knickers and a sport jacket always gets the ladies' attention. Tie not needed.

rebounder

difference

i love to ride my bike because im different from everyone else. ill wear a bike jersey or jacket or sweater because im different from everyone else. whats the difference? since when do all roadies love to spiff up in a nice polo shirt and khakis? forget that. i'm not like everyone else and i dont care to dress like it. its not about pretending to be something that i'm not. sure i dont ride for fasso bartolo or some 2nd division belgian team from the 60s, but you dont work for dockers. does that mean you're trying to be perceived as a dockers model or a dockers employee? of course not. thats ridiculous. in fact, its the opposite. its about being perceived as something that i AM, namely, a cyclist. what i am not though, is another tool wearing the same clothes as everyone else. cyclists judge people enough on the bike. why would you want to start doing it off the bike too?

banned

what's the big deal?

i wear a pinnarello vintage jersey w/ shorts or jeans all the time. it's cool in my book. actually, anything eccentric in fashion is cool w/me. i'm a hippie at heart and believe behaviour rules were made to be broken.

AJS
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    i wear a pinnarello vintage jersey w/ shorts or jeans all the time. it's cool in my book. actually, anything eccentric in fashion is cool w/me. i'm a hippie at heart and believe behaviour rules were made to be broken.
    I'll go along widdat.

hi, I'm Larry

Here is what I look like when not on the bike

nmnmnmn

Attached Images Attached Images

AJS
    banned
    Just for THAT bimini, you deserve a sound thrashing with 14 worn-out rear brake cables.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast