Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

just the older guy's advise 50+

I'm 57 and would like to here from the older guy's on just what I can expect at our age.
    1. how you lost weight.
    2. can we ride with younger groups?
    3. how fast are you and what did you do to get faster?
    4. how good are you? come on tell the truth.
    5. can I set high goals or am I just dreaming?
    6. Just how good can I expect to get if I give it my all ?
    Fish on Dude!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The weight comes off with the miles and elevation climbed.
    I can hang with younger groups if they're not real fit. If they're in form, eventually they drop me.
    I'm not very fast- I'm happier climbing.
    I feel good- does that count?
    Yes, it's good to set goals and then look back after you've met them. Very satisfying.
    If you actually give it your all I imagine you'd be great, though I always hold back a bit so I can't speak from experience on that one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Originally posted by Caadmandu
    I'm 57 and would like to here from the older guy's on just what I can expect at our age.
    1. how you lost weight.

About 3 years ago I had enough and said goodbye to the wife and she became the ex-wife. She stayed in S. Carolina and I moved to Austin. With the "Anti-christ" no longer holding me back, I started riding daily again. I went from 235lbs to the 165-170lb range. Not only did I loose the weight but I got stronger. I have been able continue riding daily and keep the weight off. During the winter I also hit the gym and do the spin classes and some weights.

I ride with younger groups all the time. What is the big deal? The group I ride with on Saturday's is split into advanced and intermediate. I ride with the advanced group. I'm probably the oldest guy in the group.

Sunday's group ride is much larger and again I am with the advanced group. Again I'm out with the advanced group. The only way to get faster is to ride with fast guys.

On relatively flat ground riding solo, I can average 21-23mph. Not as fast as when I was racing when I could average 24-26mph under similar conditions. I try to ride everyday. I vary the rides: longer rides at 70-80%, shorter full out time trial rides, hill rides, intervals, the weekend group rides and recovery rides.

I can hold my own. I can usually hang with the fast group up to a point. If they really turn up the pace I will eventually drop off the back. I let other people determine if I am a strong or fast rider. I consider myself slow. The one place that it really tells in on the longer climbs. I need to get stronger on hills. Even if I was as strong as I used to be; if asked I would just say "I can hold my own".

Yes, but that depends on you. Obviously you wont be riding the tour anytime soon but you can definitely race competitively in the Masters class if that is what you want to do.

Again it depends on you. How much time are you willing to dedicate to trainning? Of course it also depends on your physical condition. I've had 2 knee surgeries. I also had a heart attack last thanksgiving. You would think that I would take it easy but in reality it just fuels me to go out harder, longer, faster. I'm planning to start racing again next year and I don't plan on letting anything interfere with that.
    Last edited by exracer; 12-14-2011 at 09:20 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I'm 64 and lost 60 pounds over a five-year period, weighing in now at 130 pounds. I did it by worrying over (really!) not getting my money's worth out of a $3,000 bicycle I had just purchased. I began riding as much as possible in the hills near my home. I now ride almost exclusively on a daily 22-mile out-and-back that gives me a 2,500 plus climb by the half-way point. I've gotten good enough by now that I enjoy the scenery in both directions.

There aren't many group rides on my route. These days, I am passed only by the pretty fast riders (up hill or down hill). I pass more than pass me. I'm not sure how that translates to the flatlands, but I seem to have learned --finally -- how to hold my own on a 14 percent grade. Honestly though, here in the Palo Alto area, most of the racers and quite a few of the sport riders would chew me up without even realizing it, anywhere, anytime.

Unless you have found a way to make money by being faster than all the kids in Austin, I would urge you to set your own modest goals, perhaps a little faster or a little quicker than your last ride, and give yourself a chance to appreciate what you have.

If you get to be really good at it, younger riders will ask for your advice outside coffee shops.

Best wishes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I'm 58.
    Loose weight by weighing yourself on a digital scale every day.
    If you are over your goal, eat less and exercise more.
    When you get your goal or below, add back some chocolate or alcohol or whatever you gave up.quitting beer, I lost 5 pounds.
    Eat smaller portions. Steak and bacon is fine just eat 3-5 oz instead of 8-16 oz.
    I eat old fashioned oatmeal with raisins every day.
    I snack on salted almonds instead of other stuff.

I just got a new bike and expect to ride a lot of miles, I only did about 200 last year.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by Caadmandu View Post
    I'm 54 and returned to cycling at 49 after a 35 year absence.

1. how you lost weight. I haven't. I gained weight. But I lost girth. I lost about three inches at the waist, but put on muscle, which is heavier than fat.
    2. can we ride with younger groups? Why not? All the groups I've encountered sort themselves out based on ability, not age.
    3. how fast are you and what did you do to get faster? It's hard to compare due to differences in terrain. Are we talking flatlands, rolling hills, or mountains? My cruising speed is in the low 20s. But due to stoplights (I live in the city) my average is much lower due to frequent stops and starts.
    4. how good are you? come on tell the truth. I've left college kids puking in my wake on climbs. I can hang with all but the dedicated racer set. Even so, I race the cars on my commute. I know that I can ride my bike anywhere I point its wheel.
    5. can I set high goals or am I just dreaming? Yes, and yes. Especially at our age, it takes a hell of a lot of work to maintain fitness, let alone improve. Yes you can set high goals. And yes, you are just dreaming if you're either unwilling or unable to put in the intensity and frequency of work to achieve them. Still, without a "training program", you can expect moderate gains for at least five years through going just a little harder, just a little longer, just a little more often.
    6. Just how good can I expect to get if I give it my all ? As good as you want to be. Just remember, your "all" is a lot harder than you think.

There are a few things to keep in mind for the 50+ cyclist.

Most training programs are designed for much younger riders. We need more recovery and more rest than younger riders. And we have to rest just as hard as we train.

After a while, I learned how to listen to my body, and what to listen for, (and what not to listen to) so I can determine when to HTFU and when to rest. At minimum, I need two consecutive days a week completely off the bike, and minimal exertion otherwise. A third day in there would be ideal. Your body may be different.

Next, is patience. Where a younger rider may need only one season to improve from a certain point to another, we may need two or three.

Third is that there are definite declines with age. We lose the type of muscle needed for speed and power, while maintaining that required for endurance. We also lose aerobic capacity. This happens slowly over time. However, when starting out, you can increase speed, power, endurance and aerobic capacity far beyond what you might think. Just bear in mind that your numbers ten years from now will be lower.

There is a dedicated 50+ cycling forum over on BikeForums.net. (I'm TSL over there.) It covers all types of cycling, even the stereotypical couple of miles on hybrids once a month types, and of course, 'bents, but there's also a dedicated training for racing thread.

And we have cool kit.

RoadBikeReview Member

I'll bite

I'm 59, turning 60 in four months so...

1. how you lost weight.
    Not really lost any but then again, I've never taken a long layoff from riding for the last 40 years

depends, if they're cat 1 and above, it's flat, it's into the wind and having a real go at things, no but if they're on an easy ride, yes...for club rides even advanced, i can mostly hang but if the avg goes above 40kmh, i will let them go...for those who raced, avg means something up to a point but it's all about how's your speed, how long can you keep it going and if the road tilts up, what have you got...

3. how fast are you and what did you do to get faster? my cadence is probably higher than ever...power is decreasing so it's all technique and riding smart if in a group...e.g. passing people on a straight downhill doesn't mean much if you can't power down when on the flats and inclines

4. how good are you? come on tell the truth. i can ride with probably 85% of the road riders in the area, follow wheels with the next 5% and just smile and let the remaining 10% go...

5. can I set high goals or am I just dreaming? go hard or go home was my theme in 2011 as i've been traveling, biz and personal, for 190 days this year, all long haul travel so it's been a brutal run of two weeks off and one week on....you train and ride smart to survive...

for me, the key is enjoying it and knowing your limitations...i'll take my turns at the front and even if i blow before the ride is over, that's fine and for me, preferable to hanging at the back and following wheels....all subject to point 2 above...
    i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

DEK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    First off, I'm 56 and I hadn't ridden in almost 4 years. So I decided at the start of this year I was going to start riding again for my health and for the enjoyment. Now, with the year winding down, I've lost 50 lbs and feel a heck of a lot better.

1. how you lost weight.

I lost the weight by riding a lot - 3,300+ miles - and watching what I ate. More veggies and fruit. Less crap like cake, chips, etc. Not that I "dieted" per se, but I did think about eating better. However, I never starved myself or if I wanted something like chocolate cake, I had some; just not 2-3 pieces.

If you're in better shape than I am, then possibly. I've done a couple group rides with younger guys and while I can finish the ride, I'm more worn out than they are. In fact, a lot of them ride to the group ride, do the group ride, then ride home. Me - I drive there and back.

I can usually maintain around 15-16 mph solo. The group rides I did were around 18-20 mph (30+ miles) and I kept up but I do start falling back during the last couple miles.

Not sure how you're defining this but, in general, I'm not that good. I can do solo rides upwards of 30 miles at the speed I mentioned. I don't consider that very good compared to most of the people here who can do metric and full centuries solo at faster speeds.

Not being much of a goal setter myself, I don't feel like I can answer that properly.

I think only you can answer that question.

A wheelist
    I'm 64 next month and have been riding since 1962 (50 years!)

1. how you lost weight.

Three years ago I lost 36lbs that had been slowly accumulating over 3 decades. I weighed myself every day and cut out unnecessary stuff like chocolate and most cookies (I'm down to 3 per week now - Sun/Tues/Thurs). Cut out ALL food after supper. No 2nds or deserts. No ice cream. I lost the 36lbs in 6 months. Keep cutting back on portions until the weight starts to drop. The daily weigh-in will tell you whether you're cheating or eating just too much. There is no secret to weight loss.

Sure but that all depends on their speed and your ability.

That's all very personal to you and your terrain. Intervals get you faster - that plus consistency. BUT you must recover from all prior exercise before training again. This is imperative the older you get. I ride hard 3x per week. More is not better.

My steady solo rides are 17 ~ 19MPH true average (door-to-door) on rides of between 30 & 70 miles in summer. Right now (December) it's 16mph (true average!) for 1 - 1.5hr rides. Over 3 years of steady solo riding (all recorded!) my average has worked out at 18mph dead on. Three to four decades ago that was 21.5mph. That is impossible now (on solo rides) but I did it with a group this summer.

You HAVE to have goals. I couldn't just ride. Walk around Walmart on a Saturday and be observant if you need motivation.

6. Just how good can I expect to get if I give it my all?

Only hindsight will answer that question.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

DEK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Walk around Walmart on a Saturday and be observant if you need motivation.
    Great suggestion! Just thinking about that is making me want to leave work and go ride.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by DEK View Post
    Great suggestion! Just thinking about that is making me want to leave work and go ride.
    Stay at work and Google Image "Walmartians".
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

DEK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Stay at work and Google Image "Walmartians".

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by DEK View Post
    That should be motivation enough for anyone to keep riding.

DEK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    That should be motivation enough for anyone to keep riding.
    That's almost enough motivation to stop eating!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow I was worried I'd get the stupid question comments lol but these are great and I hope more are coming. I've been riding since Aug 2011 and seems like the only advise I get from LBS is from guy's in the 35 and below yrs. I don't ride with anyone so when you are a rookie and out all alone my mind starts telling me give it up, esp if I don't see improvement. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to compete or impress and I enjoy riding but I want to be realistic and know what to expect for the time I'm putting in. I'm willing to feel the pain for the gain, but pain and no gain is not for me lol.
    Thanks very much everyone HUGE help !!
    Fish on Dude!

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    1. how you lost weight.
    eat less and ride more. less sugary stuff, less carbs, no junk food after dinner.
    2. can we ride with younger groups? yea, but as someone else said i can hang if their not in great shape or if there are lulls in the speed.
    3. how fast are you and what did you do to get faster? can average 17-18mph on the weekly 20 miler. to get faster you have to ride faster for longer periods. just discovered spinning about 3 years ago and really implemented a in the 39 chainring policy this season. speed and power improved, able to do longer rides.
    4. how good are you? come on tell the truth. might be able to do 2-3 century rides in a season, did that last year. wasn't able to this past season.
    5. can I set high goals or am I just dreaming? i don't. just enjoy riding if i improve great if i don't great.

Banned forever.....or not
    You say that you have been riding since Aug 2011.

Chances are, you'll just poke around until you quit riding. If you want to get faster, you need to:
    1: Get lots of miles into your legs. Ride fast. Ride slow, just ride.
    2) Start riding with riders that are a lot faster than you.
    3) Not quit when you continue to get hammered every time you ride with those guys.
    4) Do not quit, period.

People who ride around at one speed are called "tourists". (or triatletes)

If you want to race, expect to really suck for two years. (or more)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Caadmandu View Post
    Wow I was worried I'd get the stupid question comments
    I've never seen a stupid question around here but there's been lots of dumb ones. Yours were good questions though.

lol but these are great and I hope more are coming. I've been riding since Aug 2011 and seems like the only advise I get from LBS is from guy's in the 35 and below yrs. I don't ride with anyone so when you are a rookie and out all alone my mind starts telling me give it up, esp if I don't see improvement. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to compete or impress and I enjoy riding but I want to be realistic and know what to expect for the time I'm putting in. I'm willing to feel the pain for the gain, but pain and no gain is not for me lol.
    Thanks very much everyone HUGE help !!
    As I'm retired and I get to ride any day of the week, usually at either 10am or 1pm, I hardly ever ride with anyone but myself. So it's tough for me to judge but after many years of doing this sport I've got a good idea of my abilities and my current relativity to them. I suggest you chose one route in your area and keep track of your times over it. Write them down with info as to dates (time of year), wind direction and your general feeling. This is then your benchmark for judging your condition and any improvement.

Mine is 30 miles and it's a gently rolling U-shaped route where I go out & back. I'll ride it hard about once a month or 3x per year, depending on motivation or my need to assess my condition. Plus I keep track of (true) average speeds on all my steady, longer rides (30 miles plus). Average speeds on shorter, interval training rides are less meaningful.

After a while you will see patterns (slower in the spring & fall) form and it's a great judge of what's working, or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I am 52 and have lost ~60 lbs since June 1.

1. how you lost weight.

Rode my bike with a heart rate monitor. I would limit my calorie input to what my heart rate monitor said I burned or less. I killed a lot of chickens since July. Total miles on the bike since July 1 is ~2200 and 165,710 KCal. (Yes, I keep a spreadsheet of kCal, avg HR, Max HR, Time and distance.) July 1 I rode 10 miles averaging 9 mph. 26 Nov I rode 72 miles averaging 14.5 mph burning 3500 KCal.

I am sure some can. I haven't tried to yet but I will be joining a club for 2012 and look forward to club rides. If I can't hang with a group I just go solo.

Average 14.5 mph over a 70 mile solo ride. My best this past summer was an average of 14 mph over 41 miles with an elevation gain of 3000'. A short 15 mile ride I can average ~16 mph.

I use Map Bike Rides with Elevation Profiles, Analyze Cycling Performance, Train Better. Ride With GPS to get the elevation changes.

On the scale of 1 - 10 I rank me as a -2

Obtainable goals are good to set. You need to determine what you think is obtainable.

That's up to you. I don't think any one person can quantify it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I lose weight through an abundance of exercise and food management. Mostly cut way back on starch and sugar unless I'm exercising.

I'm not a fast rider by any means. I can hang with the cat 1 and 2 rider group with my club for 30 miles but then I seem to fade. However, there are a couple of guys, one 62, that can hang all day. The 62 yr old lives on his bike. He's single and that's his primary social life. Others train hard with intervals to increase their abilities. I'd like to be that fast but it takes a lot of the joy out of riding for me when I only do it to improve and exercise. I ride long and I often ride hard, but I want to do it more based on how I feel than training. Because of that, I just don't make the improvements to be the fast guy. I think at over 50, we really have to be dedicated to make the improvements that once came easily.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    Originally posted by Caadmandu
    1. how you lost weight.

About 3 years ago I had enough and said goodbye to the wife and she became the ex-wife. She stayed in S. Carolina and I moved to Austin. With the "Anti-christ" no longer holding me back, I started riding daily again. I went from 235lbs to the 165-170lb range. Not only did I loose the weight but I got stronger. I have been able continue riding daily and keep the weight off. During the winter I also hit the gym and do the spin classes and some weights.

I ride with younger groups all the time. What is the big deal? The group I ride with on Saturday's is split into advanced and intermediate. I ride with the advanced group. I'm probably the oldest guy in the group.

Sunday's group ride is much larger and again I am with the advanced group. Again I'm out with the advanced group. The only way to get faster is to ride with fast guys.

On relatively flat ground riding solo, I can average 21-23mph. Not as fast as when I was racing when I could average 24-26mph under similar conditions. I try to ride everyday. I vary the rides: longer rides at 70-80%, shorter full out time trial rides, hill rides, intervals, the weekend group rides and recovery rides.

I can hold my own. I can usually hang with the fast group up to a point. If they really turn up the pace I will eventually drop off the back. I let other people determine if I am a strong or fast rider. I consider myself slow. The one place that it really tells in on the longer climbs. I need to get stronger on hills. Even if I was as strong as I used to be; if asked I would just say "I can hold my own".

Yes, but that depends on you. Obviously you wont be riding the tour anytime soon but you can definitely race competitively in the Masters class if that is what you want to do.

Again it depends on you. How much time are you willing to dedicate to trainning? Of course it also depends on your physical condition. I've had 2 knee surgeries. I also had a heart attack last thanksgiving. You would think that I would take it easy but in reality it just fuels me to go out harder, longer, faster. I'm planning to start racing again next year and I don't plan on letting anything interfere with that.
    Exracer what group do you ride with in Austin? If I'm in Austin for a weekend I try to ride with Violent Crown.
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Fecal indicator
    not going to respond to each point...it's entirely too subjective.

I get in ~4K miles/yr...are they all high-quality training miles, nope. I just like to ride. am I fast...? some days, I can hang with the stud 35-yr olds on my twice-weekly group ride. other days, not so much. recently completed a hilly cycling leg of a team tri, 26 miles at 19.8 mph av.

weight? I've never been more than 5 lbs overweight ever. I'm probably 10 lbs underwt at the moment and I eat a ridiculous amount of healthy food.

I've riding a bike for most of my life and plan on continuing that for at least another decade or more. I'm sure the speed and intensity will diminish over time, but so what.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll be 58 in January and have ridden more miles this year than ever (will top 8,000 by end of December). I'm not as fast as I used to be but tougher.

1. how you lost weight.
    I initially lost weight when I started riding again in my mid-40s but then gained it all back and then some. However, I've lost 30 lbs since last December and now weigh what I did in college. I lost weight by rigorously tracking my calories eating/exercising and staying within a budget aimed at losing 1 lb/week. Met my goal in August and have successfully maintained my target weight since then. Check out Loseit.com -- it has worked for me and it's free.

Yes. I regularly ride with younger groups. I can't hang with the fastest riders and probably never could, but I can also outride many younger riders. Speed is not that important to me, however, and I tend to stay away from the fast group rides because they are too dangerous (lots of crashes).

Depends on whether I'm riding solo or in a group, whether it's windy or calm, whether the roads are hilly or flat. You get faster by riding more, losing weight and pushing yourself harder. The easiest way to get faster is to ride with a group. I average 15 mph on a typical commute riding solo, but can easily average 18+ mph on group rides. My fastest average was 22 mph on a hilly metric century hanging with a faster crowd, but I rarely average more than 20 because I don't like large group rides.

I don't tend to compare myself much with other riders. Commuting accounts for 80% of my rides and 50% of my mileage. I am pretty damn good if you compare me with the average 57-year-old, but pretty average compared to cyclists who ride as much as I do.

Why not, what have you got to lose rather than a few pounds? Last Christmas, I set a goal to lose 20 lbs and I ended up losing 30. Without a goal, I probably would weigh the same as I did a year ago.

6. Just how good can I expect to get if I give it my all?
    If you are competing against yourself, you can improve significantly -- in terms of speed, endurance, fitness and weight. However, if your goal is to compete against others, you might be setting yourself up for a lot of frustration. In my experience, a lot of very competitive people get carried away and either improve a lot (if naturally athletic) or get frustrated and quit because they compare themselves too much with others. I could care less if I can hang with the fastest riders. My goals are to stay fit, maintain or lose weight, and have a good time -- and I have succeeded totally in that regard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Great thread! Good to hear all of your experiences -- reminds us younger guys that we can get better with age, as well as possibly have more time to ride as life goes on, not less. Sometimes I get a little anxious, thinking I need to get this or that done before I get 'too old,' but in light of what you guys are doing, I've got 30+ years to keep improving my cycling!

I'm 'only' 36, so I won't chime in as to the questions. I'll just note that, while I don't ride with any official groups or clubs, and I don't race, the two guys I ride with most are 50 and 54 yrs old. They seem to start slower -- they'll complain a bit the first 10 or 15 miles about this or that, and I'm dragging them along. But they sure get stronger and faster as we go. By mile 40, they're towing me through the flats, and I'd swear they are going as a higher rate of speed than they were at the beginning of the ride!
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

'11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Read carefully and digest what Brucew and Grumpy have written. Print their responses and read them at least once a week.

I'm 66. Raced from 40-50 and quit riding until I was 58. Lost a lot while off the bike I can never recapture. I was riding well two years ago but had back surgery and rotator cuff surgery a year ago last summer. i was off the bike five months and it has taken a year to rebuild. Build a base of miles, do intervals after having a base, ride with riders at least once a week better than you, get enough rest and recovery, and have fun. it has to be fun even when you are dying. When you have a sufficient base to start riding hard, go really hard on hard days and really easy on recovery days or off the bike entirely. Don't do sort of hard workouts.
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast