RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007

Just ordered an Aprisa 4500

Hi there,

First post here, but I thought I'd share that I just ordered an Aprisa from Ibex. I can't review the bike yet since I haven't received it, but here's why I ordered it.

I've been riding my mountain bike a lot on the road and though I'd get a road bike again, but didn't want to spend much more than $500. Was set to buy an Iron Horse Triumph Sport from Nashbar as they had a 20% off deal, which put the bike around $500 delivered. However, I wasn't sure about fitment and the customer service was of very limited help at Nashar. I even called Iron Horse directly and the guy I spoke with couldn't even tell me the standover height of the bike - totally disappointed.

So...I figured I ought to go to my LBS to get a better idea of fitment and if someone managed to make me a deal on a bike I liked, I'd buy it there. The shop I went to ended up being pretty good to me and spent some time fitting, but they would not show me anything less than $1200. Naturally, the bike I tested has the nice shifters without the thumb buttons (either 105 or Tiagra, not sure), which I really liked. However, I seemed to fit on either a 58 with the seat all the way back or maybe a 60, but the Iron horses come in 58 and 61s and though i figured the 61 would work lengthwise, nobody could tell me the standover. frustrating.

Was getting ready to pull the trigger on the Iron Horse 58cm, but I decided to do just a little more research and found an ad for Ibex on roadbike review and liked what I saw. The 3300 classic looked great, but still had the shifters I didn't like. I also saw the Aprisa and decided to give them a call.

Instead of an operator in a call center or a clueless factory rep, I got someone who actually knew the bikes, knew the equipment and could actually help me (was that you, Jack? forgot to get a name.). We spoke for about 15 minutes about fitment, how their bikes stacked up against what I was considering, and what would probably be the best choice. Service like that sold me and I ordered the 4500 yesterday.

I'm pretty jacked up to get it (ordered the 60cm) and will let you guys know how it works out. In the end, it seems like an incredible amount of bike for the money and every bit as nice as the $1200 Trek (1600 SL I believe) I demod at the lbs. However, I also saw croscoe's post about the 3300 and I don't think i would have gone wrong with that bike either. It really looks beautiful in real photos!

Anyway, I'm anxious to get it and just thought I'd share my experience and decision process with anyone else who might be shopping along similar lines.

Paul

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    That's exciting! The bike rides very nicely. My wife and I have ridden quite a bit more on our 5600's (same frame). They are a very fun bike, and ride just as well, if not better, than the Trek's we demoed at our LBS that were 2X the price.

I think you will really enjoy the bike. I would recommend taking the chain off immediately (it has a KMC missing link) when you get it and clean it (it is covered in the goup they use from the factory which makes a real mess).

It is very easy to assemble and I have the Asta Pro in the color you are getting; fantastic color!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the reply and tips M! How's the ride on that frame? Was just curious since its the high end model that has carbon seat stays, but made all aluminum.

Also, is the blue super metallic? royal blue or a grayish blue? hard to tell on the web site.

Thanks again!

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaylor
    ... I would recommend taking the chain off immediately (it has a KMC missing link) when you get it and clean it (it is covered in the goup they use from the factory which makes a real mess).

KMC does not recommend re-use of the missing link. However, I know many folks do and don't have any problems. I was unable to get mine back off.

The SRAM master links are reusable.
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    The MissingLink that is on the bike is a MissingLink 10C. On the KMC brochure entitled "The right chain for your bike", there is a "Re-usable" graphic next to this version of the MissingLink. I have taken mine off and put it back on several times without any issues.

As for the color, there is blue flake in the paint and is a bright blue, not quite as dark as royal blue, and there is no gray in the color.

Even though the rear seat stays are not carbon it is still a very nice ride, it's not too harsh at all. I probably have about 50 miles on the bike so far, and keep in mind I am coming from the mountain bike world with silky smooth front forks, and this is ALOT less harsh than I thought it would be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Hi Paul. The 4500 is a great looking bike. There's a guy on MTBR with the Ibex SS MTB in the same color. It's gorgeous. Keep us updated and post some pics if possible. Ride safely.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks Croscoe...I love your 3300 too and the combination of having a same color 29 is outstanding. Want to trade for the 4200 and my old Kona? ;)

I can't wait to get it...I'm impatiently counting down the days. Will *try* to have enough restraint to take pictures as i go with the unboxing and assembly!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    MBaylor, Im looking at the pdf file link you sent, and my bike will have a missinglink 9 since its a 9 speed. It doesn't specifically say you can reuse the chain next to that one, but do you think i'll be alright? also, how much of a mess are we talking about?

It arrived right on schedule Friday and I've been drooling over it all weekend, but I gave my word I would hold off until my birthday next weekend (its a gift from my wife). Using all my restraint...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Peakay, I have the missing link for my ibex asta pro and have taken it on and off about 3 times without any issues.

The chain comes covered in a material from the factory that is a dust and dirt magnet that makes a thick black paste that gets all over everything. You brush your hand or clothes against it and you will kick yourself. I cleaned the chain using mineral spirits and a degreaser. I believe I got the instructions from the beginner section (it's a sticky that talks about cleaning your bike.) Once you clean it and put a real lube on it, it is squeaky clean.