RoadBikeReview Member

Just riding along...

So I'm just riding along my regular semi-rural route, slight uphill. In the other lane, a black Civic passes. I hear a loud thump, and I take one in the left hip! Just a bit sore. The car is hauling ass as I U-turn and try to find the projectile. Couldn't find it. Guess it was a low velocity rubber bullet or something along that line. Finished the ride. Glad it wasn't a shotgun. Never happened to me before.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Hope you called the police.

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Now that their native son Lance has been discredited, I guess that it is open season on bicyclists in Texas once again. Be careful out there!
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nope. I wanted to finish the ride. I may run across them again.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsh
    Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.
    good advice for chinatown and rural fexas, both.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    someone needs to design a lycra jersey depicting a handgun tucked into a rear pocket printed on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    And this is why you ride with video.

Darling of The Lounge
    Maybe you will get lucky and the braggadocio yambag will post the stunt on YouTube.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by bmach View Post
    Hope you called the police.

Unless you pay attention, have the plate number, and know there were only two people in the car...odds are the most they'll get is a warning.

Played this game with the 5-0 here before with cars loaded full of kids chucking water bottles. I knew the plate and called right away. But...
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David Loving View Post
    In the other lane, a black Civic passes.
    Even those guys are switching to Japanese cars...

Name:  EasyRider2.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  23.3 KB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I think I can top this one. Yesterday I was also just riding alone along a well traveled rural road. In my mirror I see a pack of motorcyclists bearing down. I pulled as far right as possible and didn't think much more. Bikers tend to be the least troublesome of road sharers. Well half way though the pack, one pulls close and slaps my butt. Cute hunh? But at 40+ mph that slap stung. I proceeded to give them a litany of my best profanity at the top of my lungs and continued on my way with nothing damaged but my opinion of bikers. If I saw that biker again in the next 30 minutes I probably could have identified him from his fancy full faced helmet, but to what end. Any cop or anyone else would probably have just laughed if off as boys being boys. Like Rodney Dangerfield, we just get no respect.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I recently got a Fly 6 camera. Would have picked up both those dooshes. $140 on Amazon (They had the older version with the rubber straps for $99 for a while). That thing is great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I recently got a Fly 6 camera. Would have picked up both those dooshes. $140 on Amazon (They had the older version with the rubber straps for $99 for a while). That thing is great.
    hfc, I am not familiar with these things. How much video (time) can these things hold? Does it just write over old stuff when it fills?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    hfc, I am not familiar with these things. How much video (time) can these things hold? Does it just write over old stuff when it fills?
    They loop, and have a 'crash mode', where if the bike is laid down, it will record for a set amount time, then turn off (so it doesn't write over important crash video).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    They loop, and have a 'crash mode', where if the bike is laid down, it will record for a set amount time, then turn off (so it doesn't write over important crash video).
    For $140 I might consider it. But what about coverage in the front?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coupster View Post
    one pulls close and slaps my butt. Cute hunh?
    The upside of this is, it wouldn't have happened if you look like this.

Just riding along...-family-guy-cycling-2.jpg

Any cop or anyone else would probably have just laughed if off as boys being boys.
    Lets say they caught him, will you be confronting him?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    Lets say they caught him, will you be confronting him?
    Depending upon the circumstances and environment, I'd probably smack talk him (it was male, body language as he rode away) as to how a big bad macho biker was inclined to caress the shapely lycra clad butt of an old fat cyclist. If hadn't been at 40+, I probably would'nt have gotten so upset. As it is, I blow kisses to the a'holes that buzz me with their pickups.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Are you sure the projectile was not a rock shot from one of their tires. Smallish, round rocks on pavement can be shot long distances at high velocity when circumstances are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Loving View Post
    So I'm just riding along my regular semi-rural route, slight uphill. In the other lane, a black Civic passes. I hear a loud thump, and I take one in the left hip! Just a bit sore. The car is hauling ass as I U-turn and try to find the projectile. Couldn't find it. Guess it was a low velocity rubber bullet or something along that line. Finished the ride. Glad it wasn't a shotgun. Never happened to me before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    For $140 I might consider it. But what about coverage in the front?
    The Fly 6 has no front coverage. It's a rear red safety light and video camera combination that mounts on the seatpost. They have a Fly 12 model for the front, which combines a video camera with a white light.

Or you could use something like a Go Pro or Garmin Virb action cam for the front.

My other bike has knobbys
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Are you sure the projectile was not a rock shot from one of their tires. Smallish, round rocks on pavement can be shot long distances at high velocity when circumstances are right.
    Loud thump to go with it....I'm thinking the car hit a pothole and launched a rock (more likely if they were hauling butt). If low profile tires, a decent sized rock could also account for it...just on the edge of the tread, it would cause a whump sound as the rock shot out (my Saturn has low profile tires and I've heard this too with a 1/2" rock).

For a juvenile delinquent to get their hands on a rubber slug is pretty unusual, so I would be skeptical of that one unless you saw a pipe / barrel sticking out of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    The upside of this is, it wouldn't have happened if you look like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family Guy Cycling 2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	318696

Nope....even looking like Peter, I've had butt slaps and catcalls from passing cars. Some ladies like a tight @$$ in tight spandex, even if it is plus sized
    So 8 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2017 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

12 Cervelo S2, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MercRidnMike View Post
    even looking like Peter, I've had
    Now we know...

Some ladies like a tight @$$ in tight spandex, even if it is plus sized
    Some ladies do. From what I've heard, the guys who are into such thing, are drawn to shapely dudes.