Lost in translation

Just rode the worst stretch of road in the USA

Took my son to a basketball clinic in Sun Valley and brought my bicycle with me to kill time. Rode Glenoaks Blvd from Sunland to Foothill & back - about twenty miles total and almost all of it in a "bike lane." Ruts, potholes, bumps, debris...it's a wonder I escaped with my teeth intact. Would've taken some photos, but it prolly would've broken my iPhone.

Anybody top this?

Darling of The Lounge
    This seems to be the case in all areas given the lack of tax revenue to maintain roads. I find myself having to swerve or bunny hop potholes more often these days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    Took my son to a basketball clinic in Sun Valley and brought my bicycle with me to kill time. Rode Glenoaks Blvd from Sunland to Foothill & back - about twenty miles total and almost all of it in a "bike lane." Ruts, potholes, bumps, debris...it's a wonder I escaped with my teeth intact. Would've taken some photos, but it prolly would've broken my iPhone.

Anybody top this?
    I live in NJ. Isn't that what roofs are supposed to be like?

banned
    Oct 2001
    At the very least you should be congratulated on using "road" and "rode" correctly in the same statement!

Lost in translation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdeth1313 View Post
    At the very least you should be congratulated on using "road" and "rode" correctly in the same statement!
    And I'm no Rhodes Scholar, although my spelling has eroded through the years!

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I was riding with a friend & we turned down a country road he wasn't familiar with. We were riding side by side and after about 100 meters he looked at me and said, This looks like a good place to put a road through."
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Not trying to top it, but I had a similar condition on a shoulder, it had allot of debris, potholes, and bumps. It was a narrow shoulder, which was also full of trucks, so I didn't have any choice, but to bike on the shoulder. I was on my way home from a breast cancer awareness ride, that my LBS was sponsoring.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    And I'm no Rhodes Scholar, although my spelling has eroded through the years!
    I have a rowing shell, and I used to get out on the nearby lake early in the morning (like 5AM) before work. So I would tell my coworkers that "I rowed for an hour this morning". Of course they assumed that I rode my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    I was riding with a friend & we turned down a country road he wasn't familiar with. We were riding side by side and after about 100 meters he looked at me and said, This looks like a good place to put a road through."
    Witty. Reminds me of Ghandi's answer when a British reporter asked him what he thought of Western civilization. He said, "I think it would be a good idea."

Trek Rental Agent

Anybody top this?
    HA HA HA!!!

I was going to ask if you were riding in LA county.

Yea, that "bike lane" is a joke.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A mile of cobblestone on the C&O Canal path near Harper's Ferry, MD. ..... It's a bruiser on my hardtail C'dale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I may not have it beat in terms of condition, but in debris I can. A portion of one of my rides (since removed from any ride I do) takes a busy road up about a 1/2 mile climb. There is a nice shoulder, so I don't mind the road so much. However, this piece of road is also used by trucks transporting waste from the slaughterhouse to the plant where they render down the parts.

One really sweet day traffic forced me to be in the shoulder. An overloaded truck must have just crept up the hill, spilling its tastey contents all over the road. My front tire kicked up all kinds of blood, guts and feces. Until I made it to the top of the hill, me and my bike were both covered. A good lesson in breathing through the nose!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdeth1313 View Post
    ...but then there is "prolly," which I absolutely HATE!!

Soul Mining
    I've been down plenty country lanes in England that have become so deteriorated and potholed that they are very nearly impassable by bike. But I suspect an old farmer's track in rural England is not quite the same as a major road in a big city...nevertheless, they can be a hellish experience...

pedalpedalpedal
    A road in Brooklyn was so bad back in 2010, the mount for my GoPro snapped and the camera flew off my handlebar. Camera was fine, but not even singletrack trails seemed to beat it to death as bad as that road.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    At least there weren't any hills. It would be terrible to have to climb/descend on pavement like that.

Trek Rental Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    At least there weren't any hills. It would be terrible to have to climb/descend on pavement like that.
    Coming down Mt Hollywood, Radio Hill and Elyssian are pretty bad.

You used to ride those with Vanessa. correct?

TWD
    I came across a road in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan about 15 years ago when I was living there, where it was no exaggeration to say that the surface area of potholes far outweighed the surface area of remaining pavement.

I have never seen a "road" that bad before or since. Not even close. It made a washboard gravel road look like heaven.
    All in all, at the end of the day, it is what it is....just sayin'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Welcome to Massachusetts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    last year's solvang metric century route required you to go on the ride's toughest climb, then had you descend on the worst stretch of tarmac i'd ever seen. road condition was so bad, bottles rattled loose every 100 feet, max speed down a straight stretch of road was probably 15 mph, i can still feel the vibes in my teeth.