RoadBikeReview Member

Keys, locks, and Yakima..

I've got an older Yakima hitch rack that I lost the cheapy lock to when I didn't properly secure before I drove off. I picked up a replacement lock that came with a key from REI, and decided to try the key from the old lock, and it worked just fine with the new lock.

I'm not concerned about someone stealing my bike and the hitch (together) by unlocking it (I never leave my bike on the rack unattended anyway), nor it happening to anyone else. Its just something I found to be curious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Yakima makes different keys. They make far fewer options than you'd think. So the odds of randomly buying the same key as what you previously had is somewhat small but in no way impossible. There are way less than 100 different options

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Agreed regarding Yakima’s low supply of keys. The odds of picking up another key which fits are incredibly low. But having that it is always good to have a spare. If you don’t, you can always rely on those reliable locksmiths to come help you out. Over here where I’m from in East London, something similar happened to me wherein I had just finished up a delivery and headed back to base – upon arriving at base I realized I must have lost or left the key at the place that I had just delivered to. But because time and distance wasn’t on my side to go back there, I called a local locksmith in Barkingside to dig me out of that little hole. They came within 30mins and we were both happy.

Mind you I was surprised at how quick and easy it took the guy to prize open the lock – for times like these you cannot put a price on the ability for them to come to the rescue, s thumbs up for them. Your Yakima lock might not be secured with the state of art technology, but I would throw caution to the wind by taking precautions such as mixing up your locks and changing them on a regular basis (ie. Week 1 = Lock 1, Week 2 = Lock 2 etc).

HTH!
    Last edited by mrpmike55; 04-03-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo error