RoadBikeReview Member

Kinetic Rock & Roll Mod for tire rub (pics)

I just bought a Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll trainer. I put the trainer in our carpeted family room. As recommended I used a floor mat under the trainer but the rear tire rubs when I sit up or sprint hard.
    Kinetic Rock & Roll Mod for tire rub (pics)-photo-2.jpg
    I knew this might be issue for heavy riders (I weigh 198lbs.) but wanted the Rock and Roll because of the good reviews.

I read on the Kurt Kinetic web site that if this happens to tighten the rear bushing bolt and loosen the front bushing bolt. The problem with that approach is the front bolt would not be torqued to the proper spec and the rear would be over torqued? Which means the bushings would be compressed differently. (The manual says to torque the bolts to 35 ft lbs.)

I went a different route and added large flat washer under the front busing to elevate the wheel.
    Kinetic Rock & Roll Mod for tire rub (pics)-img_1005.jpg
    On a concrete floor the rear wheel measured 1-1/4 inches off the floor before adjustments and without me on the bike.
    Kinetic Rock & Roll Mod for tire rub (pics)-img_1010.jpg
    I first tried a 2 diameter washer 3mm thick then reassembled the trainer. The 3mm washer raised the rear wheel about for clearance of 1-3/4 at the rear wheel. Kinetic Rock & Roll Mod for tire rub (pics)-img_1049.jpgKinetic Rock & Roll Mod for tire rub (pics)-img_1055.jpg
    Kinetic Rock & Roll Mod for tire rub (pics)-img_1015.jpg
    I felt I wanted a little more clearance just to be safe, so I tried stacking a second washer. But that was too thick and I found it difficult to torque down the two bolts evenly and the bushings were compressing at different angles. Next I tried a larger 2-1/4 washer which measured 4.6mm thick.
    Kinetic Rock & Roll Mod for tire rub (pics)-img_1053.jpg
    After reassembling, and torqueing the bolts to the recommended 35 ft lbs the tire clearance was now 2-1/8 off the floor. The increased tire clearance of an additional 7/8 was much better.
    Kinetic Rock & Roll Mod for tire rub (pics)-img_1021.jpg
    Kinetic Rock & Roll Mod for tire rub (pics)-img_1022.jpg
    No problem with the rear tire touching the mat with my weight and the trainer felt the same.
    Kinetic Rock & Roll Mod for tire rub (pics)-img_1047.jpg
    2011 - Jamis Coda hybrid
    2013 - Bianchi Ininito

Dr. Buzz Killington
    I've been fortunate not to have this problem yet, but for precautionary measures I have an actual mat underneath the trainer. By the way, I initially used Rubino Pro 3's in my R&R trainer (same color too), but I found they slip when I pedal hard and with sudden impulse. I switched to the Continental trainer tire, and it works a lot better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    I've been fortunate not to have this problem yet, but for precautionary measures I have an actual mat underneath the trainer. By the way, I initially used Rubino Pro 3's in my R&R trainer (same color too), but I found they slip when I pedal hard and with sudden impulse. I switched to the Continental trainer tire, and it works a lot better.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still trying to get the tension right on the rear wheel and felt it slipping too. I was thinking of getting a trainer specific tire.
    2011 - Jamis Coda hybrid
    2013 - Bianchi Ininito

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I have the Continental tire on mine too - no problems with it - about 1200 miles
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe