RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013

knee pain, need a new riding position?

So far this year, after 20mi plus rides i am getting some pain in the top of my left knee. Right at the top of my knee cap. Only left side.

I have a 2 year old specialized roubaix. I did get it fit from a pretty good bike dealer.

I am wondering if I should be further back, forward, up, down, combination, etc.

thanks for any suggestions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Last time I had knee pain, it had to do with the shoe cleat being adjusted wrong. The correct cleat placement has to do with the natural position your foot points when you hang your legs off a high counter that you're sitting on. Your feet are either pointed out, pigeon toed or straight. Slight variations in this angle can cause knee pain.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I had similar pain and solved it by raising my seat by 3 or 4mm. If it is a problem with cleat angle the pain is off toward the side of the knee. But trial and error is your friend!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I had the same issues and a slight cleat adjustment and not so slight seat height adjustment took care of it completely. Turns out my seat was way too low...almost an inch.

Make sure your seat hasn't sunk in time. If the clamp isn't torqued down properly, it may.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Could be Patellofemoral pain syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The thing that's worked for me is: Moving cleat forward rather than rearward, having the correct angle of the cleat along with enough float, and quad exercises.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Typetwelve View Post
    I had the same issues and a slight cleat adjustment and not so slight seat height adjustment took care of it completely. Turns out my seat was way too low...almost an inch.

Make sure your seat hasn't sunk in time. If the clamp isn't torqued down properly, it may.
    First thing to check. Pain in the front of the knee is often associated with a saddle that's too low. Pain in the back of the knee with a saddle that's too high.

AKA: Sheila Muirenn
    May 2009
    I had a hard time with cleats and shoes until I found a fitter that was willing to spend hours adding wedges and spacers, I have a leg length discrepancy.

Since it's just one side, I wonder if this could be a possibility. (But don't attempt wedges and spacers yourself, you could really mess up your knees that way).

If some simple adjustments don't take care of it in a couple of weeks, I'd go back to that fitter, or even find a new person to do that. I struggled for a long time until I found the right person to help me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooben View Post
    Last time I had knee pain, it had to do with the shoe cleat being adjusted wrong. The correct cleat placement has to do with the natural position your foot points when you hang your legs off a high counter that you're sitting on. Your feet are either pointed out, pigeon toed or straight. Slight variations in this angle can cause knee pain.
    This!

That was exactly the problem when I had some knee pain a while back. A small adjustment to the shoe cleat fixed everything.