Thread: Knee Surgery

RoadBikeReview Member

Knee Surgery

I'm having knee replacement surgery. Anyone with experience recovering from Knee replacement?
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Yes, have had both replaced. I had to stop riding because my knees were so bad. Now with new ones I am back riding without pain. Training is actually fun after the layoff. I'm 72, if I can do it you can.

Do your PT, work hard at it. Yes it is uncomfortable at times, but you will see the results quickly. Listen to your surgeon about how fast to really push, it takes a full year to heal. You will be able to ride and train before you know it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by David Loving View Post
    I'm having knee replacement surgery. Anyone with experience recovering from Knee replacement?
    It could change your life (for the better). My wife had bilateral knees done by the same surgeon that did bilateral hips for me. Both outcomes have been spectacular. My hips were done in 2013 and my wifes knees were done in 2016.

For what it's worth, we both believe that having them both done the same day makes recovery easier. We think it may be because you don't have one good leg and one bad leg which causes you to deal with the associated imbalance problems. If the other knee is nearly gone, look into getting bilateral surgery.

Most of all. do a lot of investigation into surgeons. They are like auto mechanics. For every good one there are 4 mediocre or worse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SwiftSolo View Post
    Most of all. do a lot of investigation into surgeons. They are like auto mechanics. For every good one there are 4 mediocre or worse.
    What was your method for doing this? It's not like there are published reviews and results for surgeons. My GP told me that it was a lot more about the patient than the surgeon - hard work in rehab was the key. I'm facing the possibility of a knee replacement and have been thinking about this a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    What was your method for doing this? It's not like there are published reviews and results for surgeons. My GP told me that it was a lot more about the patient than the surgeon - hard work in rehab was the key. I'm facing the possibility of a knee replacement and have been thinking about this a lot.
    I don't know how reliable the information is, but there are sites like Healthgrades that purport to give ratings on physicians.

I'm lucky, I had my shoulder reconstructed by a local Orthopedic surgeon who is also experienced in joint replacements. I'll be starting with him when my knee is ready to be replaced....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    i'm in Birmingham, AL. We have a lot of really exceptional Ortho's in town. One place to look is to the Physicial Therapists. It is tough to get them to talk, but you know someone that has a connection. Anyway PT people know which docs have the most patients that have great results. The Dr. that did my knees had already replaced both of my shoulders. His reputation is to have really good results with less pain during rehab. He uses minimally invasive techniques, small incisions and minimal tissue disruption.

I'm saying this to say that the PT people know who has the most really good results. You have to put maximum effort to the rehab, but it helps if the surgeon is exceptional.

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. If you aren't really confident that the surgeon WILL give you the best results, walk away. They're all really arrogant. Mine told me that the only people that approaches the arrogance of a top surgeon are fighter pilots. You want that arrogance, but they need to look you in the eye when they are talking to you. If there is no connection find another one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018
    Hi, I haven't had one replaced (yet), but I did have my right knee 'scoped and debrided back in 2009 by the same surgeon who worked on the Baltimore Orioles MLB & Ravens NFL players. After a half-year of "Synvisc" injections -- which were pretty much worthless -- he 'scoped behind my kneecap/patella and the surgeon pulled out a handful of loose/broken soft tissue (mostly cartilage). I was fortunate in getting the surgeon I did. I have some family in Central Alabama not too far from Montgomery (mostly in Deatsville & Prattville), so I'll query them for you, too. Good Luck on the replacement!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I was told that my knees were shot early in 2010, at age 57. I had a retirement home and workshop to build, so I sold all but one bike, late in 2010 and decided to try a new hobby after over 20 years of cycling. I spent 3000 hours building a hot rod, after the 3000 hours of home building. After all that, my knees were really shot and it was time for both knees to be replaced in 2017.

I had both knees replaced last year, one in January and one in November. I met my medical insurance maximum after the first knee, so the second one was free. I used the only bike I had, placed on a trainer, as part of my rehab. The first knee took about 3 weeks before I got enough range of motion to pedal a full stroke, but the other one only took about a week. It is a fairly long and painful recovery process. It's very important to work on leg straightening. If you can't straighten your leg completely, you won't walk right. The first knee was fairly easy to get straightened, but hard to get back a decent range of motion in bending. The other knee worked just the opposite, but neither has near the original ability to bend. So far it has been no problem. One problem that remains is knee stiffness. My knee will stiffen up, for no particular reason, so I take 600mg of ibuprofen for relief.

Another interesting thing is that you should not have your teeth cleaned for at least 6 months after the surgery and when you do, a strong dose of clyndomycin is taken one hour before your appointment. There is a chance that harmful bacteria can enter the blood stream and attack the knee joint, resulting in a failure.

I'm just now thinking about returning to cycling, after an 8 year hiatus. I got my old Campy 11 equipped LOOK KG461 back on the road, just this week. All I'm doing now is an hour of 1.3 mile laps around my neighborhood, to get my legs back in shape a little. I used to ride 5,000 miles a year. The old bike needs new tires and tubes at the minimum. The Mavic Ksyrium rear wheel broke a spoke 8 years ago, so I'm retiring the wheels, too. Time will tell if the urge to ride decent distances returns. I'm a little worried about having a crash and damaging a knee.
    Last edited by C-40; 06-19-2018 at 10:17 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had a total knee replacement in 2004, at age 54. Lots of sports related injuries along with a couple from the Marine Corps had my right knee a swollen, painful and arthritis ridden mess.

I had an excellent surgeon who does all the after surgery patient follow up himself. Many use their nurse practitioners for all follow up.

He also took the time to give me advice on results to expect from my new knee and what activities I should do and what I should avoid. He told me to walk all I wanted, keep active and keep moving, but the best activity for a knee replacement patient is to………ride a bicycle.

He knew I was a lifelong runner so he pointed his finger at me and said I should never run another step the rest of my life nor play anymore singles tennis.

My surgeon also bears down on the dental work and antibiotics advice. He said infections tend to settle in artificial joints so taking antibiotics is a small preventive measure compared to the potential severe consequences of not taking them. The only replacement he ever had to remove was a woman who went to the dentist a few months after her knee replacement and got an infection. The infection could not be cleared up so they had to remove the artificial knee and wait to heal the infection before installing another knee. I can imagine how painful and expensive that all was.

My surgeon still recommends and I still take 2000 milligrams of Amoxicillin before even a routine 6-month teeth cleaning. Even 14 years later. Amoxicillin is less damaging to beneficial gut bacteria than some antibiotics.

The aftermath of the knee surgery wasn't badly painful but the physical therapy was painful. The PT group I was referred to use a lot of machines that strap the leg in and mechanically bend the knee and lower leg back and forth. Several different versions of this torture device. They also used shock therapy, which is no fun either. Very little hands on work. I would not go back to that group or anyone who uses a lot of such machinery. Ask how they do physical therapy before starting with any physical therapist.

My wife had knee replacement three years ago. I steered her away from the group I had used to an individual therapist who used only one machine, which is basically a stationary recumbent bike. Most of his therapy is individual attention and lots of hands on work along with PT exercises she could do at home by herself or with my help. Her therapy went much better with less pain and quicker results than mine.

OP, work hard in physical therapy. What you do there will decide how well you will be able to use your artificial knee later.

I was back on the road doing our normal three-miles-after-dinner neighborhood walk about two months after surgery. I was back on my bike a month after that.

My wife and I always ride together and we keep a cycling logbook. Since my knee replacement we have had two 4,500 mile years while most are between 3,000 to 3,500 mile years. Work, travel and other responsibilities have limited our cycling more than the artificial knees. We are very physical active in other things besides cycling.

OP, you asked for advice and here is mine in a few bullets:

• Work hard in physical therapy. Pushing hard here will pay dividends later.
    • Don’t expect quite as much flexibility out of the artificial knee as a natural knee has.
    • It goes slow at first, but it WILL improve.
    • Take you meds before a dental visit.
    • Ride the bike, ride the bike, and ride the bike.

All the best wishes for a successful knee replacement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtc89 View Post
    Yes, have had both replaced. I had to stop riding because my knees were so bad. Now with new ones I am back riding without pain. Training is actually fun after the layoff. I'm 72, if I can do it you can.
    How long have you been riding normal pace and distance with your knees? (Hope they serve you well the rest of your life.)