RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Kreitler Rollers, sugestions?

Well I purchased a old new stock item. Reportedly never used just stored in a garage: Kreitler 2.5 Alloy Rollers. The White Belt seams discolored so I'll order a replacement.

Now the Drums, they visually are in near perfect shape (red), but they don't spin well at all. They spin for about 3 seconds and stop with nothing connected... I started a quick session and was getting concerned so stopped at about 5min.

Any Suggestions? Spray some tri-flow into each end-cap, replace the bearings, just heat them up with an intense 30 min and see if they improve?

My first set of Kreitlers that are not borrowed so I want to baby them a bit
    I Used and broke/wore the Plastic Performance Rollers (drum split) and my other set of Minora wobbles a bit hense the upgrade.
    Last edited by technospolar; 07-21-2012 at 06:00 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    update touch of triflow no help, and the belt broke after 10min. wow

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Why did you expect the Kreitler rollers to spin longer than they do; do you have prior experience with them?

I borrowed a pair several years ago but can't remember how freely they spun without a load. Cartridge bearings aren't known for long spin times, at least not on a roller.

I wouldn't spray Triflow on the bearings; it'll likely dissolve any grease which is kind of a conundrum for you because you need to clean out the old, dried grease to regrease the bearings.

If you can remove the axles to rotate the bearings with your finger to determine how stiff they are, then that's what I'd suggest you do first. That'll give you a good indication of whether the bearings are bad (read: the GREASE is bad). If the bearings spin smooth with a twirl of the finger, don't worry about them. If they're stiff, it's likely the bad grease.

If you can't extract the axle, then can you pry the seals off with the axle in place? I've used an Xacto knife blade with great success. If you can, then I'll have to retract my earlier statement about the Triflow. Spray some solvent in the bearings to dissolve the grease-Liquid Wrench, WD-40, Triflow, whatever. Blow them out with a compressor or "canned air" which you can get at Radio Shack. Wear safety glasses. Then pack the bearings with new grease. Be gentle with the seals when you pry them off as they have a thin metal backing which can be bent; they pop back in pretty easily.

I'd also contact Kreitler direct. I've purchased decals and belts directly from them before and they were really prompt and helpful via e-mail. They might even sell you new bearings with instructions on how to replace them.

My guess is the bearings are held in with Loctite and the axle has a shoulder on the inside. You probably have to use a wooden or rubber mallet to drive the axle and one bearing out. You could also put a nut on the end of the axle to protect the threads then whack the nut with a steel hammer; that'll protect the threads. Once one side is out, just reinsert the axle to drive out the other bearing. Use Loctite 242 on the replacement bearings; it makes bearing removal easier in the future.

I'm not surprised the belt broke; it's old. Replacements are cheap; it's worth buying 2.

Don't give up on your Kreitlers; they're a quality product built to be REBUILT, yet last a lifetime.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Good point, its been a while but I though I remember kreitler rollers spinning for a lot longer like 10x. Just like with wheels spinning freely without load may not be a great indicator...

Thank you, great detailed suggestions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I suggest you guys to ask from any good compressor bearings or cross head bearing manufacturers. They will guide you more easily.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Winner of the first thread dredge of 2018.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Winner of the first thread dredge of 2018.
    Winner for first sucker of the first thread dredge of 2018!

I get the silver medal.