RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Question L'ALPE D'HUEZ / Google Earth / Etape Du Tour

Hello there fellow Bike nutz.

i was just wondering if anyone has been able to find L'ALPE D'HUEZ on Google Earth. there seems to be quite a high detail in this region of France and i think it would be cool to take a look at a few of the 21 switchbacks. Can anyone narrow down the coordinates.
    I would like to see what i am up against in this years ETAPE DU TOUR!! *GuLP

speaking of which i was wondering if anyone knew of an online community/ resource that offers a place to exchange information rereparation and logistics for this years etape

Thanks for your help.

Safe riding everyone.

joe in toronto

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you go to www.cycling.tv and look at their archives there was a guy that rode it this year and kept a video diary of all his training and some footage of the race also. His name is Alex Arujo ( last name probably spelled wrong) and the diary's are self titled. He is a Canadian who lives in London, so luckily you should be able to understand his funny accent. Also, I know that many people on this forum are too cool and much too hardcore riders to admit they read it, but Bicycling magazine recently did a big article on it.

Back from the dead
    It's easy if you know where to look. Find Grenoble, then find the river valley opening to the east. Here's the best shot I can find for you:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+Yo...1458&t=k&hl=en

Here you can see the town of Alpe d'Huez at the top of the climb, and you can make out the last switchbacks heading into it. Also, you can see the lower switchbacks on the face of the mountain, off the valley floor. I wish they had better resolution.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebyrne72

i was just wondering if anyone has been able to find L'ALPE D'HUEZ on Google Earth. there seems to be quite a high detail in this region of France and i think it would be cool to take a look at a few of the 21 switchbacks. Can anyone narrow down the coordinates.

speaking of which i was wondering if anyone knew of an online community/ resource that offers a place to exchange information rereparation and logistics for this years etape

Thanks for your help.

Safe riding everyone.

joe in toronto
    Speaking from experience ADH is the easiest of the well known climbs. There are a laundry list of reasons but if I were you I'd take a good look at Izoard which will be the real monster on the etape route. If you make it to ADH though you'll make it up.

If the roads help on the google thingy follow the N91from Grenoble which is the road that runs along the valley floor to Bourg d' Oisans which is the town at the base of ADH.

As for informative sites there is a British Etape site that is good but I am missing the URL and the link below is a great course description from a gentleman that lives in Grenoble and has a tremendously resourceful website for planning. The link below includes the Etape stage.

http://grenoblecycling.free.fr/TourD...006Preview.htm
    Last edited by teoteoteo; 11-07-2005 at 07:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

coordinates

Thanks for your help.

Safe riding everyone.

joe in toronto

be sure to select the show roads option on google earth so that you can see the switchbacks because i don't think the resolution in this area is good enough to see the actual road... anyhow, the coordinates are 45*03'33.63" North and 6*02'15.88" East. I used the * as a degree sign...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003

Aliens

After you locate ADH you can scour the Nevada desert to find Area 51.
    How many times I gotta say it? it aint a taint, its a gooch...

Go Blue

Unofficial British site

Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo
    As for informative sites there is a British Etape site that is good but I am missing the URL [/url]
    Here it is. http://www.etape.org.uk/
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

dolophonic
    Nov 2004

Yo

You should get this months copy of procycling. They did a story on this years etape, better bring your hiking boots.....according to the article many climbs are so jammed that you have to walk.
    These are some classic mountains, col d'Izoard is spectular with fantastic scenery at the top.Alp 'huez is by no means easy...but you can do t, just train right ...good luck.

foz
    naranjito
    Sep 2004
    i can´t seem to be able to post the google earth link, but here´s a screen shot where you can see the area and get the coordinates.

foz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L'ALPE D'HUEZ / Google Earth / Etape Du Tour-lalpe-dhuez.jpg  

Go Blue

I was caught in the traffic jams

Quote Originally Posted by bandoulu
    You should get this months copy of procycling. They did a story on this years etape, better bring your hiking boots.....according to the article many climbs are so jammed that you have to walk.
    These are some classic mountains, col d'Izoard is spectular with fantastic scenery at the top.Alp 'huez is by no means easy...but you can do t, just train right ...good luck.
    One of the problems with the Etape is that there are so many riders that traffic jams occur on the early climbs. If you can get a quick start, you can avoid the jams. But, if you are a slow starter, like me, you may have to endure one of two of them. I have started the Etape four times and finished three of them (I abandoned during the 2003 Etape because I was riding with a newly-broken shoulder against doctor's orders and realized at the top of the first major climb that I did not have enough range of motion to descend safely). Everyone who is doing the Etape focuses on speed and endurance training. These things should not be ignored. But, you also should spend time on your riding skills. I do not race. The first time I did the Etape, I was scared to death for the first 10 km or so when there were riders within inches of me of all sides riding at breakneck speeds. I have been bumped by riders during the start and I have seen people go down in the early parts of the ride because they were not skilled in riding in a large group. The descents also require a lot of skill. Before you show up in Gap in July, make sure that you are comfortable riding at high speeds with lots of people around you and that you can descend safely on steep mountain roads.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Dont discount the Alpe's difficulty

Quote Originally Posted by teoteoteo
    Speaking from experience ADH is the easiest of the well known climbs. There are a laundry list of reasons but if I were you I'd take a good look at Izoard which will be the real monster on the etape route. If you make it to ADH though you'll make it up.
    I agree that Alpe d'Huez is not the toughest of the well-known climbs but I wouldn't say the Izoard is any more of a monster. It's tough but not awful and would consider it to be similar in difficulty. One deceiving part of the Izoard is on the valley road alongside the river after leaving Guillestre. For all the world it looked to me like a slight downhill and I couldn't understand why I felt so sluggish. Instead, it was just the opposite amd was a gradual uphill. Because the Izoard is the first climb I can see where the crowds might add to the difficulty. My hunch is the crowds will be thinned out after the climb.

The other thing to consider is that you will be reaching Huez after 170+ km. Last year, quite a few people felt the bite of the little Cat 4 climb near the end of this years Etape. They will be feeling the Alpe much more than that after having ridden a further distance in '06.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Here ya go Joe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L'ALPE D'HUEZ / Google Earth / Etape Du Tour-alpedhuez.jpg  
    Last edited by classic1; 11-09-2005 at 03:29 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Alex rules!

Thank you everyone for taking part in "search for DUEZ"! I love the 21st century.
    i suppose the next task will be mapping out the entire route... i will attempt to do that as the even gets closer

I have been in contact with alex (of CYCLING.TV fame) for a while now. he has been most helpful. He certainly has gone above and beyond interms of helping me and providing advice. A super nice guy also.

while searching for ETAPE training advice i came across a recommendation on cyclingnews.com) to check out www.2peak.com. I will ask this question on the training and racing board also.. but in the meantime ,does anyone have any experience with this or any other web based coaching system?

ride safe everyone...

joe

Self admitted user
    I have been in contact with alex (of CYCLING.TV fame) for a while now. he has been most helpful. He certainly has gone above and beyond interms of helping me and providing advice. A super nice guy also.

joe
    This is hilarious.. I went to school with Alex's brother and we all worked out of the same bike shop 10 yrs ago ... Coincidentally, I rode the Etape last yr as well unaware that I had a buddy of old in the 9000 strong.

His clips are reminicent of my own experience and I believe that is why there are so many return trips made to the Etape.

I will have to wait until '07 I am afraid ... but good luck to all who chose to take up the challenge.

Cheers

JH

Toronto