RoadBikeReview Member

LARGE toe covers for spd shoes?

Hi guys, can you recommend large size toe covers for mountain shoes? I have giro size 12 (euro 46), and nashbar L/XL covers i had were very tight. Not surprisingly, they ripped apart quickly.
    I have XXL.planet bike booties which are ok, but i do not want to sweat in them when its not too cold.

Thanks!

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Duct Tape.

You are welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Pearl Izumi pro covers in L/XL are rather big. I have them on my mtb shoes that I use for road. I'm a size 44. They have plenty of room for my shoes.

They are rather durable too. The edged are some type of super tough fabric
    Last edited by ziscwg; 01-17-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    Duct Tape.

You are welcome.
    Duct tape with ducks on it are all the rage out here
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

I Love PAIN
    I wear size 48 and use Louis Garneau in the XL with my mtb shoes and SPD cleats. How did you shread the Nashbar ones? Once I have the covers on I just slide my feet out and unvelcro the top strap. They stay that way all winter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    FWIW, here's a trick I use on shoe/toe covers: I dilute some shoe-goo type glue 50:50 and paint it on the parts that you walk on. It soaks in toughening it up and prevents it from fraying. When they start showing some wear, I add a bit more.

To do this, I first put some wax paper around the sole of shoe then put the cover on the shoe so that it's shaped and stretched to fit before applying the shoe-goo.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    FWIW, here's a trick I use on shoe/toe covers: I dilute some shoe-goo type glue 50:50 and paint it on the parts that you walk on. It soaks in toughening it up and prevents it from fraying. When they start showing some wear, I add a bit more.

To do this, I first put some wax paper around the sole of shoe then put the cover on the shoe so that it's shaped and stretched to fit before applying the shoe-goo.
    What do you use to dilute the glue? Will water work?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonAruban View Post
    What do you use to dilute the glue? Will water work?
    Definitely not water. I use mineral spirits or rubber cement thinner. Squeeze a small amount of Shoe-Goo (AKA E6000, and innumerable other XXXX-Goops Amazing GOOP Adhesive Products ) into a little container. Add a much smaller amount of solvent and mix thoroughly to get it started. Then add more solvent to approximate 50:50 mix...like pancake syrup or a bit thinner. Paint on with an acid brush and let it dry overnight before taking the covers off the shoes.

(an acid brush is a cheap disposable brush used for painting flux onto copper pipes prior to soldering)
    Last edited by looigi; 01-18-2013 at 10:03 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Definitely not water. I use mineral spirits or rubber cement thinner. Squeeze a small amount of Shoe-Goo (AKA E6000, and innumerable other XXXX-Goops Amazing GOOP Adhesive Products ) into a little container. Add a much smaller amount of solvent and mix thoroughly to get it started. Then add more solvent to approximate 50:50 mix...like pancake syrup or a bit thinner. Paint on with an acid brush and let it dry overnight before taking the covers off the shoes.

(an acid brush is a cheap disposable brush used for painting flux onto copper pipes prior to soldering)
    Thanks for the tip. Does rubbing alcohol work to dilute the glue?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Haven't tried it, but seriously doubt it. What you need with Goop is good ol' petroleum distillates of one form or another. FWIW, Coleman fuel works well too.

That said, you might experiment with other glues, perhaps latex based, which could be thinned with water or alcohol. You want something tough and elastic that will soak into the fabric, not get hard, and won't be water soluble once cured.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Pearl Izumi pro covers in L/XL are rather big. I have them on my mtb shoes that I use for road. I'm a size 44. They have plenty of room for my shoes.

They are rather durable too. The edged are some type of super tough fabric
    Works for me and I have a 48 Sidi shoe. They're on the cheap side and I can get two seasons out of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSWhaler View Post
    Works for me and I have a 48 Sidi shoe. They're on the cheap side and I can get two seasons out of them.
    Road or mtb shoe? With the tread and recessed cleat on mtb shoes you usually wind up walking on the covers and they wear pretty quickly, depending on how much walking you do.