RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Late Season P.R.'s

In the North East Winter is approaching. Anyone seeing a spurt in end of year p.r's on their favorite segments. For me with the temperatures dropping and with full knowledge that I'll be riding slower once December hits the achievements and knowing I'm still improving are very motivating. Seems like last two years, I'll improve in the Spring, Plateau a bit in the latter Summer months and come back in the Autumn

Anyone else feel the same? Do you get a late season spurt of fitness in the Autumn? And does it motivate you to squeeze in those late season training rides?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I spent yesterday dragging my ass up and down 9W in the cold, with average power down 15 watts, so ... no.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    I spent yesterday dragging my ass up and down 9W in the cold, with average power down 15 watts, so ... no.
    I was on 9w too! Ash, Tweed then Bear and off to Peekskil

Forever a Student
    Sort of depends on the weather for me. I can only go so fast with winter gear on. This year was great right up until... about now-ish.

But same if the weather is good. Also flatten out in the summer, only so much I can muster in the heat and humidity.
    use a torque wrench

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Cooler weather is where I perform best, then again, rest of the year to way to bloody hit.
    The electoral college saved us once again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    According to my fitness trend, I peaked last month. That said, I set out on every ride to grab at least one PR on a segment, just a little motivational tactic. But I have to say this is the best year I've had yet, and I plan to carry it over into next year.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I slow down quite a bit this time of year. I quit worrying about my average speed -- half the time, I'm riding in the dark and can't see the computer anyway. Any ride you can do in the winter is a good one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I slow down quite a bit this time of year. I quit worrying about my average speed -- half the time, I'm riding in the dark and can't see the computer anyway. Any ride you can do in the winter is a good one.
    i slow down in the winter, so much so that a friend who races with dave jordan passed me last january and said , whats' wrong with you, i know you can go faster than that. Not that I'm the fastest rider, but he was right, I slow down a ton come Winter and only start speeding up once i know i know longer have to think about ice even if the roads look clear.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    For me, there's something about wearing winter clothes -- tights, jacket, balaclava, gloves and shoes -- that just squashes any desire to stomp on it. Part of it is to avoid over heating, part of it is that I just feel lazy this time of year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    In the North East Winter is approaching. Anyone seeing a spurt in end of year p.r's on their favorite segments. For me with the temperatures dropping and with full knowledge that I'll be riding slower once December hits the achievements and knowing I'm still improving are very motivating. Seems like last two years, I'll improve in the Spring, Plateau a bit in the latter Summer months and come back in the Autumn

Anyone else feel the same? Do you get a late season spurt of fitness in the Autumn? And does it motivate you to squeeze in those late season training rides?
    Given the effects of temperature alone, getting PRs this time of year is problematic in northern climes. A 10 degree F drop in temperature causes about a 0.1 mph drop in speed. When it's 45 instead of 75 it's hard to imagine setting a PR. And at my age, PRs are very much in the rear-view mirror anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I sleep much better and longer when it cools down. And ride less during the week.
    I always feel pretty strong in the fall and the above are likely big factors if I indeed am any stronger but I don't really track times or anything so who knows. I do feel good in the fall though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Given the effects of temperature alone, getting PRs this time of year is problematic in northern climes. A 10 degree F drop in temperature causes about a 0.1 mph drop in speed. When it's 45 instead of 75 it's hard to imagine setting a PR. And at my age, PRs are very much in the rear-view mirror anyway.

wonder if that impacts climbs the same as straights since i bested a previous p.r. by 4/10 mph last Sunday on a 12% 3/10 of a mile climb. My gut tells me that those numbers are based on a flat grade.