Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I see it as a moral antitrust violation, a form of price fixing - even though it is only within one company's products. Very glad to see Shimano an Sram stuff sold on the open market with seemingly no restrictions on the retailers. A win for us enthusiasts. Andyes I realise in the past such MFRs have tried to impose fixed prices, but undermined by the 'oem parts' meant for whole bikes being sold off as individual parts/gruppos by the online retailers. I applaud that.
    It is a win for the consumer without a doubt. My point is that if the health of the LBS is a consideration, price protections seem essential (not that I am for them). What is taking place in the cycling market is not unlike may others these days. Retail outlets are largely inefficient for anything that is remotely close to a commodity. I know what an eTap groupset is. I can research it on the web, gain feedback from social media and ultimately shop the globe for the best price. Paying a salesperson to handle my questions and ALL the overhead associated with having her there is increasingly unsustainable.

Also, if my LBS offers to order me a part, I don't haggle a price, I simply order it to my door tax free myself.

It is my belief that with the world at your fingertips/monitor, the genie is out of the bottle and ain't going back in no matter how hard anybody or group tries.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Nobody opens a bike shop to get rich. It's more of a passion that keeps shops open. And if you're good, you get lots of bikes in for service, but are always backlogged.
    itza business, so sure they are many who do go into it with plans to hopefully get rich. And I have known a few individuals who did get fairly wealthy from this business, owning small shops. One guy did well enough to buy ferraris and even bought a huge PT boat he restored (and took Meryckz out for a toot on) for x00,000 dollars a few years ago. Another family I worked for had the biggest bike shop in Canada, 7 figure net every year in the 80s. We have some local chain bike shop mini empires here too that seem to do very well focused on mid to high end bikes. My parents had a shop for 14 years, managed to retire at age 47. It's what you make of it.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    lincoln, ne?

looks cool. a place opened up here in seattle that looks sorta like that...
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You are coming to hasty conclusions on this one. The amount of business they get is far more than any shop in the area. That shows most would disagree with you.

But I will agree, if you want a "wham-bam, thank you mam" bike service and repair, this isn't your shop. If you want a fancy shop with a coffee bar inside, this isn't your shop. If you want a no-nonsense honest shop with competent mechanics and no pretense, then this is your shop.
    I don't care about coffee at a bike shop.

I can order items for myself.

waiting a month for basic service is bs.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    I don't care about coffee at a bike shop.

I can order items for myself.

waiting a month for basic service is bs.
    Then you fin d somewhere else to take it. In many areas bike shops get swamped from March through May with people who bring in their bikes for work that should have been done after the last time they rode them the previous year - but they just "have to have it tomorrow" because they have a ride planned. I guess that bike shop employees need to create time machines so that they can work 72 hours every day in order to get all these urgent repairs done for the masses.

A serious cyclist either needs to work on it himself or have multiple bikes so that necessary repairs don't keep him off the bike.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Then you fin d somewhere else to take it. In many areas bike shops get swamped from March through May with people who bring in their bikes for work that should have been done after the last time they rode them the previous year - but they just "have to have it tomorrow" because they have a ride planned. I guess that bike shop employees need to create time machines so that they can work 72 hours every day in order to get all these urgent repairs done for the masses.

A serious cyclist either needs to work on it himself or have multiple bikes so that necessary repairs don't keep him off the bike.

Very well put, Bradkey. I listen to fellow riders make self-centered demands all the time. They want it fast, cheap and perfect all the time. It's no wonder bike shop employees develop an attitude. It's not like they are highly paid ASE car dealership mechanics. Most make barely more than minimum wage.

Granted that there are some dishonest or just plain ham fisted shops out there. And I'm sure one of those shops would be happy to do a tuneup while you wait even during high season, because nobody who knows better would go in there. They may even sell you a new bike while the nice mechanic works on your bike. Of course, the money and time spent at a good bike shop correcting all the errors of one of these incompetent shops will leave you holding your head.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    The main problem with LBSs is that there's no money in servicing us irritating enthusiasts. LBSs primarily sell $500 hybrids and change people's flats on said hybrids. Meanwhile I show up and want to see their selection of 35-40mm skinwall tubeless tires for mixed gravel surfaces, also I need a race fit water resistant gilet in medium while they're at it. If they happen to have either in stock, I then balk at the full retail price. I'm a nightmare for an LBS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    One of the best pieces of advice my LBS tech gave me was not to get rid of my second bike when I was contemplating doing so. This way when work is needed, I am able to drop it off and tell them to take all the time they need to do it right...and I do just that. Sometimes I get a call by the end of the day to come get it, other times it is a week or more. Either way, no big deal as I am still riding.

Good thing too. By Bianchi has been down for over three months as I have gone through a warranty war with the factory Rep. FWIW, my LBS has been an awesome advocate through it all. Bianchi and their folks not so much. Point being your LBS can be a big help for things you never expected you'd need them for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I am independent of bike shops. I do 100% of my maintenance and buy stuff on line. I generally buy in quantity when on sale usually at Nashbar.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    took Meryckz out for a toot
    Whodat? Merckx?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Whodat? Merckx?
    Learn to spell .... Edward Meryckzz .... famous French cyclist. I think he won the Giro one year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015
    LBS' who turn their noses up at you if you aren't one of the cool kids they know.

LBS' who employ techs who know less about bikes than I do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Only one pet peeve for me: My LBS doesn't like Speedplay products. I ordered some Speedplay pedals along with my Trek and they were not too happy about it, but ordered anyway.
    Fred-li-ness is not a virtue, it's a way of life.

Embark on Fredly endeavors.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperCycle View Post
    Only one pet peeve for me: My LBS doesn't like Speedplay products. I ordered some Speedplay pedals along with my Trek and they were not too happy about it, but ordered anyway.
    why didn't you just order your own pedals online...?

that way, you woulda probably saved a dollar and wouldn't have to put up with their attitude.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    not much in the way of online sales and discounts to be found for speedplay stuff, unless you are going used on Ebay. They enforce pretty strict price controls - although I did score a set of Speedplay Pave's from Performance a while back for about half of what they usually go for. They were apparently mis-priced in their system. I pointed it out to the guy in the store, but he happily sold them to me anyway. A few weeks later they updated the price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    not much in the way of online sales and discounts to be found for speedplay stuff, unless you are going used on Ebay. They enforce pretty strict price controls - although I did score a set of Speedplay Pave's from Performance a while back for about half of what they usually go for. They were apparently mis-priced in their system. I pointed it out to the guy in the store, but he happily sold them to me anyway. A few weeks later they updated the price.
    smooth

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Speedplay pedals have to be purchased directly from Speedplay, so many small shops find that to be a pain. IF they don't sell a lot of them then they either have to sit on many months' worth of product or their margin is eaten by shipping costs. Shimano pedals also have to be purchased directly from Shimano, but most stores sell them fast enough to make the orders worthwhile.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aruyt View Post
    LBS' who turn their noses up at you if you aren't one of the cool kids they know.

LBS' who employ techs who know less about bikes than I do.
    that's like every shop I've ever been into

well other than one shop - Sabino Cycles in Tucson is staffed with some pretty easy to get along with folks. So I bought a bike for my wife there. Could not believe they had the tubeless set up for us within half an hour of purchase. Couple months later when a hub axle failed, they fixed that within an hour too.

coaster
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I think they should all have good coffee and I won't go to one if they don't.
    No coffee at ours, only beer. Two fridges kept stocked though. Maybe this is a roadie vs MTB thing. Flavored water is for soccer moms.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I work at a bike shop, and am a coffee enthusiast with a pretty nice setup at home.

This thread makes me wonder if I should get some decent coffee gear at work too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    a pretty nice setup at home.
    Drip brew or espresso?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    why didn't you just order your own pedals online...?

that way, you woulda probably saved a dollar and wouldn't have to put up with their attitude.
    I was able to get 10% off on accessories that I wanted with the bike. So it was $90 for the Speedplay pedals instead of the usual $100 I pay Nashbar.
    Fred-li-ness is not a virtue, it's a way of life.

Embark on Fredly endeavors.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    Speedplay pedals have to be purchased directly from Speedplay, so many small shops find that to be a pain. IF they don't sell a lot of them then they either have to sit on many months' worth of product or their margin is eaten by shipping costs.
    Everything involving Speedplay seems to be a pain. I bought both Light Action and Syzr pedals from LBS. When I trudged there recently for new Syzr cleats they had none -- they did have pedals -- and freely admitted they didn't sell much. Ended up getting new cleats on eBay.

My main other pet peeve is the owner, staff, or customers having an attitude. Conspicuous price gouging, such as charging $2 more than other shops for the same Specialized tube, won't get repeat business.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Mostly espresso at home:

Quick Mill Andreja Premium (e61 HX machine)
    Baratza Sette 270w (just replaced a Forte which replaced a Mazzer Mini)

But I've got an aeropress, chemex, v60, and a bonavita temp adjustable kettle if I feel like getting my manual brew on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    Mostly espresso at home:

Quick Mill Andreja Premium (e61 HX machine)
    Baratza Sette 270w (just replaced a Forte which replaced a Mazzer Mini)

But I've got an aeropress, chemex, v60, and a bonavita temp adjustable kettle if I feel like getting my manual brew on.
    You can probably start a coffee serving bike shop with those.
    Do you roast beans on your own?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast