Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 106
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,114

    LBS Pet Peeves...

    I think they should all have good coffee and I won't go to one if they don't.

  2. #2
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Reputation: old_fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,468
    ...When they tell me not to shop there because they don't cater to DIY enthusiasts, and would rather sell me a complete bike (after I paid them to do some work for me...and I haven't been back since).
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

  3. #3
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,719
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I think they should all have good coffee and I won't go to one if they don't.
    Anything else? Back rubs? Free snacks?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: taodemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    444
    When they don't have free beer?

  5. #5
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    24,309
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I think they should all have good coffee and I won't go to one if they don't.

    Funny story...

    I found a "new" (to me) bike shop here in My Fair City yesterday. Was especially funny since their bike shop caters to enthusiast types.....and to ring up my front-fork purchase I had to go to the coffee bar for the CC reader.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Anything else? Back rubs? Free snacks?
    that all sounds good but how about free use of their bikes stands and tools when I need to pop in and install a derailleur I bought on line?

  7. #7
    The Slow One.
    Reputation: Alaska Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,505
    I hate when LBSs won't price-match with Amazon or other internet sites.
    I hate when LBSs don't, at minimum, require their employees to possess an associates degree.
    I hate it when LBSs won't give me free tune-ups because I thought about test-riding one of their bikes that one time.
    ... I could go on, but I have to take my blood pressure medication.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: arai_speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,550
    When they don't have the part I want, at the price I want, in stock and refuse to install it right then and there for the lowest price in town.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    that all sounds good but how about free use of their bikes stands and tools when I need to pop in and install a derailleur I bought on line?
    How about they install that derailleur, for free, while you're getting that back rub.
    Too old to ride plastic

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,832
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    How about they install that derailleur, for free, while you're getting that back rub.
    Especially when they use house brand massage oil.

    Name:  dirty-hands-300x193.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  23.1 KB

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    How about they install that derailleur, for free, while you're getting that back rub.
    as long as it's not cxwrench giving the rub downs.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,855
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    as long as it's not cxwrench giving the rub downs.
    Jeez, I'd be terrified that I walked into the wrong room.
    Too old to ride plastic

  13. #13
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,719
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Jeez, I'd be terrified that I walked into the wrong room.
    Be afraid.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    20,492
    Quote Originally Posted by arai_speed View Post
    When they don't have the part I want, at the price I want, in stock and refuse to install it right then and there for the lowest price in town.
    Lowest price in town? It should be "lowest price on the planet"

    Another thing I hate: they won't ignore paying customers and talk to me about the fine differences between BB "standards" instead.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Lowest price in town? It should be "lowest price on the planet"

    Another thing I hate: they won't ignore paying customers and talk to me about the fine differences between BB "standards" instead.
    In the mean time, on another forum, there is a thread titled, "LBC Pet Peeves..." in which "C" stands for customers.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,430
    My pet peeve - annoyance - with LBS' is their stealth attempts to steer me towards what they sell vs what I really need or want.

    I understand they only sell specific bike brands, and I'm find with that - but things like accessories -wheels, tires, seats, bar tape, and even tools, clothes/shoes and things like floor pumps - If I ask for something that meets a specific purpose or need, help me find a thing that does that and lets order it - I know it takes time and might even cost more money, and I know you have money invested in your stock - but please don't try to sell me a round peg for my square hole, just because you happen to have those on hand.

  17. #17
    a real member's member
    Reputation: blackfrancois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I found a "new" (to me) bike shop ... caters to enthusiast types.....and to ring up my front-fork purchase I had to go to the coffee bar for the CC reader.
    care to share the name and/or loc?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    care to share the name and/or loc?
    Sure! It's called smoking a **** ton of weed and having crazy thoughts... It doesn't exist!

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    240
    The part manufacturers need to work more effectively to price protect or the LBS are going to continue to struggle. I'm the guy that will not for the sake of nostalgia or kindness pay a penny more for a part I can get for less delivered to my door. In actuality it usually is WAY more than pennies given the current exchange rate environment and taxes. Same goes for a bike (looking forward to Canyon hitting USA shores!). It's sad to see disruptive business practices flick the panorama, but it is what it is. At the same time, I'm the person who will never question a service charge price and will always give a solid tip to my mechanic for his/her work. My guess is the LBS of the future will embrace this new reality and actually thrive as a more service oriented business vs. retail. They might even offer a great cup of coffee while you wait.
    Last edited by vic bastige; 03-19-2017 at 08:56 AM.

  20. #20
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    24,309
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    care to share the name and/or loc?
    https://methodcycles.com/

    They're the only Niner dealer (among others) in these parts, and have apparently had a bunch of luck selling them locally. I didn't know that No22 had local dealers, but they're one, and are new enough they aren't on their website yet. Small, focused, bike shop. They got the vibe right too for a new-store-space. Not a "hole-in the wall" bar, not a stereotypical coffee shop, not a corporate or garage bike shop.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

  21. #21
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,187
    Quote Originally Posted by vic bastige View Post
    The part manufactures need to work more effectively to price protect or the LBS are going to continue to struggle. I'm the guy that will not for the sake of nostalgia or kindness pay a penny more for a part I can get for less delivered to my door. In actuality it usually is WAY more than pennies given the current exchange rate environment and taxes. Same goes for a bike (looking forward to Canyon hitting USA shores!). It's sad to see disruptive business practices flick the panorama, but it is what it is. At the same time, I'm the person who will never question a service charge price and will always give a solid tip to my mechanic for his/her work. My guess is the LBS of the future will embrace this new reality and actually thrive as a more service oriented business vs. retail. They might even offer a great cup of coffee while you wait.
    You've hit on a few aspects of the whole problem. Right now you can buy new Shimano parts over the internet for less than the price Shimano will charge the dealers. Shimano has stopped selling to many distributors, claiming that this will end grey market sales, and then goes on to sell to the internet dealers at insanely low prices.

    I am glad that you don't question service charges. My experience is that many customers do not have the same altruistic attitude that you do. To them, a bike is a toy and therefore the cost of the repair should be minimal - if not free (and while they wait). It is a tough market for the average family bike shop right now. Those that embrace becoming more of a repair shop will remain in business, though prospering may be difficult still.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by vic bastige View Post
    The part manufacturers need to work more effectively to price protect or the LBS are going to continue to struggle.
    I see it as a moral antitrust violation, a form of price fixing - even though it is only within one company's products. Very glad to see Shimano an Sram stuff sold on the open market with seemingly no restrictions on the retailers. A win for us enthusiasts. Andyes I realise in the past such MFRs have tried to impose fixed prices, but undermined by the 'oem parts' meant for whole bikes being sold off as individual parts/gruppos by the online retailers. I applaud that.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    You've hit on a few aspects of the whole problem. Right now you can buy new Shimano parts over the internet for less than the price Shimano will charge the dealers. Shimano has stopped selling to many distributors, claiming that this will end grey market sales, and then goes on to sell to the internet dealers at insanely low prices.

    I am glad that you don't question service charges. My experience is that many customers do not have the same altruistic attitude that you do. To them, a bike is a toy and therefore the cost of the repair should be minimal - if not free (and while they wait). It is a tough market for the average family bike shop right now. Those that embrace becoming more of a repair shop will remain in business, though prospering may be difficult still.
    Right now, bike shops make next to nothing on parts. Their main profit margin is service. Other than a tubes, chain lube, some tires and a few accessories, my shop does't keep any parts on hand and very minimal clothing and shoes. They are willing to order nearly anything, but they aren't making much off of it. And then they have customers that try to haggle prices on $20 parts! Patience is a virtue for bike shop employees!

    Nobody opens a bike shop to get rich. It's more of a passion that keeps shops open. And if you're good, you get lots of bikes in for service, but are always backlogged. My shop has a sign up that says "Good, fast, cheap.....pick two". If you go for a tuneup during high season, you will be waiting at least a month.
    Last edited by Lombard; 03-19-2017 at 01:08 PM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  24. #24
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    They are willing to order nearly anything...

    If you go for a tuneup during high season, you will be waiting at least a month.

    no inventory AND craptastic turnaround times...!

    certainly convinces me to avoid that shop.

    sounds like the owner has a hobby, not a real business.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    no inventory AND craptastic turnaround times...!

    certainly convinces me to avoid that shop.

    sounds like the owner has a hobby, not a real business.
    You are coming to hasty conclusions on this one. The amount of business they get is far more than any shop in the area. That shows most would disagree with you.

    But I will agree, if you want a "wham-bam, thank you mam" bike service and repair, this isn't your shop. If you want a fancy shop with a coffee bar inside, this isn't your shop. If you want a no-nonsense honest shop with competent mechanics and no pretense, then this is your shop.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pet Road Peeves
    By n2deep in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 209
    Last Post: 04-08-2017, 04:23 PM
  2. Cycling - Pet Peeves
    By Duane Behrens in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: 06-18-2014, 03:54 AM
  3. Pet Peeves with the language
    By jarbiker in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 08:44 AM
  4. Dogs Top 10 peeves of humans
    By Touch0Gray in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 04:53 PM
  5. TdF pet peeves
    By loudog in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •