Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

have droids, will party
    Not surprisingly Alabama is at the bottom... Too many fat, stupid, and lazy people in this state. Alot of us here are working pretty hard to get new laws passed (3ft law in the works right now), but it's pretty difficult when even cops buzz and harrass cyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Sad to see AL so far down. I have been happy with where I have to ride, both road and mountain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    happy to see michigan at #12 compared to any lower. but i read the side bar and it said we have a high fatality rate.. just reminded me to make sure i have all lights, front and back, reflective stuff on when i get out there.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Very interesting link.

I prefer riding in N.Y. to riding in N.J., because access to rural roads is better. Bergen is extremely suburbanized (I know, not a word, but you know what I mean). Rockland, Orange, upper Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess are much more rural (also hillier). NW N.J. can be very nice, however.

Most of the LAB criteria don't affect me on most of my rides. The drivers in NE N.J/S.E. NY are pretty accommodating (if aggressive at times), so I don't have much experience with the laws/enforcement. The few interactions I've had with NY laws/police (two accidents with cars) have been positive. No experience with N.J. laws/enforcement. Policies/programs - I assume related to infrastructure and education. Infrastructure doesn't matter to me (there are plenty of low traffic roads to ride on), and education is experiential (there are lots of cyclists, lots of drivers, lots of cyclist/driver interactions - most of us seem to learn to get along with eachother). Not sure what "evaluation and planning" encompass.

---------------------

RoadBikeReview Member
    Fund this, spend public money on that, spend legislation time (and $$$) passing X laws. No thanks, I'm happy with CA being where it is. There are bigger things we can spend money on.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds about right for AL.... some drivers like to try and buzz you down here.

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Quote Originally Posted by D&MsDad View Post
    Very interesting link.

I prefer riding in N.Y. to riding in N.J., because access to rural roads is better. Bergen is extremely suburbanized (I know, not a word, but you know what I mean). Rockland, Orange, upper Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess are much more rural (also hillier). NW N.J. can be very nice, however.

Most of the LAB criteria don't affect me on most of my rides. The drivers in NE N.J/S.E. NY are pretty accommodating (if aggressive at times), so I don't have much experience with the laws/enforcement. The few interactions I've had with NY laws/police (two accidents with cars) have been positive. No experience with N.J. laws/enforcement. Policies/programs - I assume related to infrastructure and education. Infrastructure doesn't matter to me (there are plenty of low traffic roads to ride on), and education is experiential (there are lots of cyclists, lots of drivers, lots of cyclist/driver interactions - most of us seem to learn to get along with eachother). Not sure what "evaluation and planning" encompass.

---------------------
    I'm the opposite. Having lived in both NJ and NY I prefer NJ, but that's probably because I was born and raised in Hunterdon County where it's completely rural and shares the PA landscape since it's only five miles east of the Delaware River. I'm not surprised that FL is in the bottom half since that state's drivers are insane and discourteous. Miami was the worst, but Jacksonville was a close second place. I am surprised, though, that MI made it into the top 20. I've ridden two tours in that state, and its roads suck. They are not maintained anywhere close to how they should be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Notice that many of the top bicycle friendly communities are also tend to be the green tree hugging (and probably liberal or progressive) communities. I wonder if this has anything to do with their tolerance of cyclists?

And Alabama... well do i need to go into details here???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Guod View Post
    Not surprisingly Alabama is at the bottom... Too many fat, stupid, and lazy people in this state. Alot of us here are working pretty hard to get new laws passed (3ft law in the works right now), but it's pretty difficult when even cops buzz and harrass cyclists.
    lol you cracked me up with this. Go go Alabama!!

Dr. Buzz Killington
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Notice that many of the top bicycle friendly communities are also tend to be the green tree hugging (and probably liberal or progressive) communities. I wonder if this has anything to do with their tolerance of cyclists?

And Alabama... well do i need to go into details here???
    Based on the maps, I think it's more because the top 10 states have the most programs, policies, education, and encouragement.

RoadBikeReview Member

League of American Cyclists rank the US States.....

Hell, we just had a cyclist killed here in Mobile by a drunken driver on a designated biking path on the 27th of April.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I love cycling and always like bike lanes but sometimes it is tooooo much. Locally they painted the local bike lanes green, just think of the maintenance costs to keep it nice, simple white lines would have been perfect and ideal. The initial cost of these green lanes was posted in the local paper, utter waste for a very limited number of cyclists. The public was outraged and protested at city hall, this is not positive for us cyclists. They could of probably added 30 miles of new regular bike lanes with same money. Instead we got 2 miles of green paint, just stupid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepseahawk View Post
    I love cycling and always like bike lanes but sometimes it is tooooo much. Locally they painted the local bike lanes green, just think of the maintenance costs to keep it nice, simple white lines would have been perfect and ideal. The initial cost of these green lanes was posted in the local paper, utter waste for a very limited number of cyclists. The public was outraged and protested at city hall, this is not positive for us cyclists. They could of probably added 30 miles of new regular bike lanes with same money. Instead we got 2 miles of green paint, just stupid.
    People are emotional, and cyclists provide easy bunching bag, when in fact those protesters should be mad at the corruption of the leadership of the city, the very leadership they voted into office in the first place.

Oh wait, most never bothered to vote the ballots. So my reasoning above will be retorted by these protesters with "but but we never voted for the those guys"..
    And I will say "you guys never voted, period".

So we're back to punching it out on the cyclists. I guess a bike lane painted in green (wasteful as it is) could put a city into bankruptcy huh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    New Jersey is cycling friendly? I did not realize I was living in a cycling utopia

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I can tell you that outside of Chicago...Illinois is NOT cycling friendly in the slightest (for us roadies). Sure, there are plenty of trails for off road cycling but the second you want to take to the pavement...forget it. Next to no cycling lanes, few paved trails and and an ocean of pissed off, militant drivers is what you get to look forward to...

RoadBikeReview Member

I live on WA. Nice to be on top but I don't see it. But then I live in a rural area.

Masters Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by fn1889m View Post
    I live on WA. Nice to be on top but I don't see it. But then I live in a rural area.
    I live in WA as well, and -having lived in both-think it's laughable that WA tops OR.
    No way in Hell.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

Recycle King
    Quote Originally Posted by c.rod View Post
    happy to see michigan at #12 compared to any lower. but i read the side bar and it said we have a high fatality rate.. just reminded me to make sure i have all lights, front and back, reflective stuff on when i get out there.....
    Where in the Great Lake State you live at? I used to live around the Greater Lansing area.
    Last edited by RoadrunnerLXXI; 05-11-2013 at 07:35 PM.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

Recycle King
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    I'm the opposite. Having lived in both NJ and NY I prefer NJ, but that's probably because I was born and raised in Hunterdon County where it's completely rural and shares the PA landscape since it's only five miles east of the Delaware River. I'm not surprised that FL is in the bottom half since that state's drivers are insane and discourteous. Miami was the worst, but Jacksonville was a close second place. I am surprised, though, that MI made it into the top 20. I've ridden two tours in that state, and its roads suck. They are not maintained anywhere close to how they should be.
    Sounds like you rode in the burbs and not out in the country roads around Mid Michigan. I used to ride alot of the country roads around the Greater Lansing area. Roads are okay with very low traffic. The U.P. is even better since it is more sparely populated and is very scenic with all the forage.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

Recycle King
    Quote Originally Posted by Typetwelve View Post
    I can tell you that outside of Chicago...Illinois is NOT cycling friendly in the slightest (for us roadies). Sure, there are plenty of trails for off road cycling but the second you want to take to the pavement...forget it. Next to no cycling lanes, few paved trails and and an ocean of pissed off, militant drivers is what you get to look forward to...
    Being a bike friendly state doesn't mean it has to have alot of bike lanes. I have to disagree with you about Illinois. There are hardly any bike lanes here in Peoria, but over whelming amount of drivers are courteous to cyclists out on the roads. I have ridden my fair share of roads here in Central Illinois and I have never had any driver honk at me or not giving me space. There is a very strong bike advocacy around here to promoting more people to bike. In fact, my local bike club just talked about that at the last meeting and will be teaming up with other bicycling promoting groups.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerLXXI View Post
    Being a bike friendly state doesn't mean it has to have alot of bike lanes. I have to disagree with you about Illinois. There are hardly any bike lanes here in Peoria, but over whelming amount of drivers are courteous to cyclists out on the roads. I have ridden my fair share of roads here in Central Illinois and I have never had any driver honk at me or not giving me space. There is a very strong bike advocacy around here to promoting more people to bike. In fact, my local bike club just talked about that at the last meeting and will be teaming up with other bicycling promoting groups.
    Hmm...must be MUCH different here in East Peoria then...drivers are not courteous...hell, I got hit by a side view mirror last summer riding on a near deserted country road...on the shoulder. Hickabilly farmer in his Ford F3000000 didn't even bother to stop and see if I was ok...

Possibly you're active in the area...but I know quite a few local cyclists and I haven't found one yet besides you that think that our own special brand of redneck morons are nice to cyclists. Ever try riding Washington road up by Sunnyland? Give it a shot...see how many will even bother moving slightly to the left for you. I often ride that road daily and it's a disaster...

Recycle King
    I did a small group ride out of Washington 2 Saturday's ago over across Route 116 onto Upper Spring Bay Rd. Think we came across about 2-3 cars. You should bike around Dunlap. That's where most of my rides are. Can head up to Princeville or over to Jubilee State Park. Even around Pekin is very tame.

RoadBikeReview Member

I am a new bicyclist, and I live in Alabama. This State may not have met the criteria the league set forth, but that does not make it more dangerous to bike here than in Washington State.

We have some great mountain bike trails, plenty of organized events, good organizations, and a lot of beautiful rural roads to bike on.

It would be interesting to see some safety comparison trend data to show whether or not the League's criteria has any impact on reduction in accidents with motorists, and increase in biking mishaps that are non-motor vehicle related.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    New Jersey is cycling friendly? I did not realize I was living in a cycling utopia
    Yes, you do. But probably not the epicenter. Like Sauron said, get thee to Hunterdon County and north. I live just north of Princeton, and everywhere north and west is great. See njbikemap.com - Best state bike map in the country. As a courtesy, it includes parts of NY and PA. I also live in NM, and I think the rankings look about right. NM is scary.
    I got six Cadillacs, five Lincolns, four Fords, six Mercuries, three T-Birds, and a Mustang.