RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Leg warmers scratch: return or wash?

I bought some Giordana Super Roubaix leg warmers and did a test ride where I noticed that the material scratches my skin, esp. just below my knees (back of the legs). It seems because the warmers don't cling to my legs there, so the fabric rubs against the skin while pedaling. For some reason, the Super Roubaix fabric feels rough (scratchy) when rubbing up and down the skin (it feels fine where it doesn't move relative to the skin) and hence I'm considering to return the leg warmers.
    However, I've been told that washing them might get rid of the "scratchyness". So I washed them once but didn't notice any improvement. Does anyone else has leg warmers made out of this material and experienced a similar problem? If so, how did you resolve it?

chamois creme addict
    Do they have a seam at the back? Most likely they do. My trick is to rotate the seam out to the side, it bothers me less there. I have even seem some riders wear them "backwards" so the seam is on the front of the leg. And these other riders were actually professional racers, so if they do it then it is PRO.

Also make sure you are pulling them up enough to stretch the material in its length, that way they will not bunch as badly at the knee. If they are really loose then maybe you are in the wrong size?

RoadBikeReview Member

Bummer.

So return the leg warmers and buy a pair of bib tights, moderate temperature range, no chamois. Wear them over regular bib shorts.

If the weather's cold enough to go out with warmers (below 55), its cold enough for tights. If a bit nippy (55-65) but will warm up later, wear shorts. A thin smear of Vaseline or "hot cream" on the knees and front of legs works pretty well down to 55 degrees, about where the tights would be appreciated..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    The seams are not in the area that is scratching the skin, they are above and to the side of it (basically forming an inverted U).

The leg warmers are only loose in the area below the knee, probably to allow for easier movement. They are size S, nothing smaller is available from this manufacturer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I have two pairs of tights (different fabrics for different temperatures), but in "medium" temperatures I use leg warmers for the begin of the ride (20 minutes or so) and then take them off (and sometimes I put them back on near the end because there can be easily a temperature difference of 5-10 deg C between the various sections of my rides). Tights aren't practical for that situation.

Anyway, I'm still looking for an answer to my original question: is the Super Roubaix fabric always scratchy or does that go away after a few(?) washes?