Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Lemon Pledge...

29K views 44 replies 33 participants last post by  JDCowboy 
#1 ·
In my research, Lemon Pledge seems to be popular for cleaning bikes.

Questions:
1. Why use Lemon Pledge when cleaning your bike?

2. Is it just a cleaner?

3. Does it leave a waxy finish behind?

4. Can a coat of wax be applied after it without there being any type of build up?

#31 ·
I've used oven cleaner for quite a while. It just loosens the dirt so it will come off with a rinse. Rinsing the dirt off verses scrubbing it off preserves the finish.
oven cleaner with lye is a good tool to deanodize components.

would never put it on my frame. it's nasty stuff.

#32 ·
Lemon Pledge has long been discussed in detailing forums. Fact is, it's probably ok but why use what your grandmother wiped her tables with?
I use a quality wax or poly seal.
P21S makes an incredible wax and if you go the synthetic route, Klasse All in One is superb.
Both are superb products in a field of enormously oversold products you find at Walmart or Autozone.
Spend $17-30 on a product that is highly regarded.

#33 ·
Lemon Pledge has long been discussed in detailing forums. Fact is, it's probably ok but why use what your grandmother wiped her tables with?
Spend $17-30 on a product that is highly regarded.
LP makes the paint shiny, is inexpensive, doesn't leave any build-up.

can't imagine a $30 product doing a 30x better job...it's a bike, not a show car.

#36 ·
How does Lemon Pledge do on matte finishes? And before anyone asks why I would want to wax a matte finish, it gives it a nice uniform finish and removes any smudging often found on matte frames.

#37 ·
But is it the same as FAVOR, also furniture polish and made by the same as Pledge manfg?[/QUOTE]

dunno, I've used a few different brands...they all seem to work the same.

there's nothing 'magic' about Pledge.

#40 ·
,,,and to think, I was just looking at a 2012 thread but didn't want to post and resurrect the zombie.

As I use wax-based chain lube, Pledge(tm) works to clean the chain. Helps dissolve waxy build-up and leaves a shine! (But it's not much of a lubricant, so re-lube afterwards.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.