RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008

Lemond Versailles vs. Cannondale 613?

haven't been able to test either of them out yet, but will soon. Basically, one of these will be my first road bike purchase and I'm trying to size up the two in terms of how good of a deal they are. I've been reading tons of reviews online about each, but I still don't know and I was hoping to get some opinions or experiences with each bike. They're both pretty much the same price at about $600-$650, but I'm leaning toward the Lemond, so I was looking to get some input from you all on what you think the better deal is:

Cannondale:
    2008 model year, carbon aluminum
    Crank-TruVativ Touro Triple
    Cassette- Sram PG-950 (NEW)
    Chain- Sram PC-951 (NEW)
    Front Der- Shimano Tiagra
    Rear Der- Shimano 105 (NEW)
    Shifters- Shimano FlightDeck 9speed
    Brakes- Cannondale
    Handlebars- Ritchey Pro (NEW)
    Fork- Bontrager Race Lite carbon (NEW)
    New brake and cable housing as well

Basically, the guy selling it bought the frame and built it up with parts already had. The rear wheel is a Cannondale Double wall housebrand and the front is a CFX (pretty much c-dale house i guess).

Lemond:
    Frame: Sloping Geometry True Temper OX Platinum Steel spine/OCLV 120 GSM carbon cockpit
    Fork: Bontrager Carbon Alloy
    Gears: Shimano 105/ Ultegra 9 speed
    Shifters: Shimano 105 STI
    Chainset: Bontrager Race lite GXP with 53/39 Chainrings
    Brakes: Shimano 105
    Wheels: Bontrager Select Road Wheel system
    Tires: Bontrager Race Lite
    Handlebars: Bontrager Select Over Sized
    Stem: Bontrager Select Over Sized
    Saddle: Bontrager Race Lux
    Seatpost: Bontrager Carbon

I'll admit, I still don't know a lot about the quality of different road components, so do you think it's worth the price or is a better deal than the Lemond all preferences between aluminum/carbon/steel set aside?

Also, since Trek dropped Lemond as a brand, do you think this will affect their customer service ability or usefulness should I have a problem with the Lemond down the road?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Overall, I think the LeMond is the better choice, because the gruppo is somewhat better than the Cannondale, provided it fits properly. I don't think that the fact that LeMond is no longer a Trek brand should affect anything. If the bike is new, the warranty will be honoured. If it is used, then I don't think warranty issues will be relevant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    The Lemond does seem to have a slight edge in the components--the wheels especially, but, as Bertrand suggested, fit is key. I ride and race on a Six-13 built up with Centaur, and it has a great ride. See if you can take each one out for a spin to get a sense of their ride qualities and their fit. IIRC, the geometries of the two bikes are quite different, so that will certainly affect both fit and ride.
    Oh, to just grip your handlebars and lay down to it, and go ripping and tearing through streets and road, over railroad tracks and bridges, threading crowds, avoiding collisions, at twenty miles or more an hour, and wondering all the time when you're going to smash up. --Jack London

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeProf
    The Lemond does seem to have a slight edge in the components--the wheels especially, but, as Bertrand suggested, fit is key. I ride and race on a Six-13 built up with Centaur, and it has a great ride. See if you can take each one out for a spin to get a sense of their ride qualities and their fit. IIRC, the geometries of the two bikes are quite different, so that will certainly affect both fit and ride.
    Right on. How would you compare the different geometries? I've heard that the Lemond geometry is pretty loose and their top tubes are odd, so not everybody is too pleased with their rides. How does the Cannondale compare in your opinion - is is very responsive? Does it absorb shock well? Also, if there was now a $100 difference in price, the cannondale being cheaper, which would you go for?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Weed
    Last edited by zyzbot; 03-07-2010 at 03:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

lemond does have long top tube

I had a Lemond Alpe d'Huez (2003 model, all steel) and loved it. It had a great ride, seemed to be built well, and was cool looking. I ended up selling it though since the geometry was not the best for me. Lemonds tend to have long top tubes so they fit those who have relatively long torsos and shorter legs. Also, by "looser" maybe the reference is to the Lemond having a slacker seat tube angle than the C'dale? (Don't know if that's true, but that may be why that term is being used).

RoadBikeReview Member
    The LeMond geometry is slightly different than a lot of other frames. The seat tube has a relatively slacker angle than frames of comparable size. This doesn't translate into "slack" handling or a more (or less) comfortable ride. It just means that if you have relatively long femurs it will be easier to get a proper knee-pedal alignment without using an extreme setback on the seatpost or saddle. This geometry also means that the top tube will be somewhat longer in a given frame size. (I've heard that these frames were designed in this way because they correspond to Greg L's physiology.)

I think LeMond frames are great, and I thought about getting one, but the seat tube angle just wouldn't have worked for me. I need a steep seat tube and a zero setback post in order to get the right alignment over the pedal.

cmg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    When you place the saddle in relation to the bottom bracket on both bikes the lenght of the top tube will be less of an issue. Are the top tube lenghts the same? within 1-1.5 cm of each other? head tube lenght dimensions the same? the components don't matter, if you like riding you'll be upgrading. probably the wheels first on either bike. it's really about the frame fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    The Lemond is not a recent model is it? My 07 Versailles is all carbon and 10 sp with 105 crank. the only issue I have had with it was the heaset.